Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2005 corolla with 165000 miles on it. The transmission shifts great but wondering if I should have it changed anyways. Called the dealership and they wanted to charge me $185 for a transmission flush and fill. Do you guys think I need this? It seems kinda expensive besides I was thinking maybe all I need was a transmission fluid dump and refill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
186 Posts
Agree. Do not waste money on the dealer. Get a jug of Valvoline ATF at Wal-Mart and drain and refill. The trans pan has a drain plug. If the fluid is really dirty maybe drain/refill at the same time as the next few engine oil changes.

·
Registered
2008 Corolla LE
60 Posts
If it has not been serviced with new fluid at regualr trans. service intervals, I personally would not flush it. Just drain and fill. Sometimes the old fluid is what's keeping the transmission from completely slipping, and in some cases people flush it and the trans slips way more. Just drain and fill.

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
283 Posts
Drain and refill ONLY ............ideally with genuine toyota T-IV. I would do it twice within a 3 month interval. One drain and fill only gets about 30-40% out and a double get 60% or so. Flush does not get it all out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
toyota T-IV is not great fluid.i used to have a 2006 corolla SE.If you check the service book it says to change the fluid
every 94,000 kms.
If you want great fluid use the Amsoil stuff however valvoline maxlife works good too.These 2 are synthetic and i believe T-IV is conventional fluid.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,932 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,529 Posts
Total capacity is 7.7 US quarts... Your ATF is overdue to be replaced. Do it right once by replacing all of the fluid, cleaning the pan and magnets, and replacing filter.

2 gallons- Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 GA - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
^^I agree.^^ If the transmission is working just fine, go ahead and do a complete fluid exchange. Use the cooler line method, which is a LOW pressure, safe method. Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF is very low priced at WalMart and is quite popular on this forum.

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
283 Posts
But........trans fluid is not just the oil component but also additives (anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"] (which extends the life of the additives' application) ). Motor oil is basically 25% additives (not sure bout trans fluid) and the additives deplete way before the oil. T-IV is conventional oil.............the additives are key and better to use the recommended trans oil and change more frequently than synthetic and change less frequently.

Don't get sucked into the belief/myth of the "Lifetime" fluid................all that means if you don't change it you will get a shortened life of your tranny. Just just same as the "new" extended oil change intervals has seen an explosion in engine deaths.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,932 Posts
Transmission Fluid for A/T:
Another hot topic. I like Valvoline Maxlife the most for both T-IV and WS applications.

Toyota/Lexus Type T-IV: This fluid is made by Mobil and is called several names. It is sold as Mobil JWS3309, Audi/Volkswagon G-055-025-A2, Ford WSS-M2C924-A, GM GM9986195, Saab 3309. This is a synthetic blend fluid and should be replaced every 30K miles by drain and fill.

Product data sheet: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx
Official Ultimate 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe Maintenance Thread!!! | Toyota Nation Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts