Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted this problem a little while back, but now I know what is wrong with it (almost) just not how to fix it. I changed my trasmission fluid after I got a new radiator and the fluid in my radiator is red so I know it is transmission fluid. I have a 1992 and it is an automatic. I know it isn't something with the radiator because it happened before I got a new one. A friend of my family said there is something in the transmission that is doing it but I can't find anything in the repair manual. Does anybody know what is wrong with it? Thanks in advance you guys have helped me out soo much already.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like your transmission cooling lines running thru the radiator has a leak and transmission fluid is contaminating the radiator. Your transmission is cooled by the fluid running thru the bottom of the radiator to get cooled and then returned back to the transmission. Is the fluid visible in the radiator? Are you losing transmission fluid?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the transmission fluid will go into the radiator until it is empty and you can see it in the radiator. It said in the repair manual that the vent might be plugged. Well I can't figure out where the vent is or how to unplug it so it could be that and i would have no idea. But i know for sure it isn't anything having to do with the radiator because it is brand new and it happened way before.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You sure its tranny oil not long life red coolant?
You'll need a new rad or remove the tranny oil line to the rad and add a tranny oil cooler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am sure it is transmission fluid because my coolant is the green universal stuff. I have put in a new radiator so how hard would it be to put in a new transmission cooler?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh ok I understand now. would it have to go like in front of the radiator (like in between the radator and condenser)? I understand it would have to go in front of the car correct like near the grill opening. But what order would I have to go in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok one last question. if i put one of these in then there will be no coolant going through the transmission right? sorry if that is stupid and I missed the whole point but I am dumb with this stuff. and pineapple thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's the other way around. The transmission fluid lines that runs through the radiator coolant. By using a separate oil cooler, you'll be bypassing the radiator all together and the fluid will be cooled by air instead of coolant.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is good then that should solve the problem. Thanks for everybodys help if this works. If not I am driving this dang car into the river.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts