Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
This is regarding my father's 2004 Lexus ES. He was adding Toyota ATF to the power steering reservoir and then by mistake he added the same fluid to the transmission. The dipstick says ATF D4. My question is .. can you mix the two - Toyota ATF and Toyota ATF D4? And what is the difference between the two? Sorry for stupid questions :confused: .. I don't have any ideas regarding this issue.
Thanks very much for your help!! Neno

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
the lexus should take T-IV trans fluid....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the lexus should take T-IV trans fluid....
oops sorry, that's what I meant the dipstick says T-IV .. I got the T-IV for the Toyota dealer and that also means that the transmission already holds T-IV fluid .. could this be mixed with the Toyota ATF that is used in power steering system?

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
oops sorry, that's what I meant the dipstick says T-IV .. I got the T-IV for the Toyota dealer and that also means that the transmission already holds T-IV fluid .. could this be mixed with the Toyota ATF that is used in power steering system?
The way your phrase your question is very confusing. So the problem is not adding T-IV fluid to the transmission. Your main question, if I understand you correctly, is: IS it okay to add type T-IV transmission fluid to the power steering reservoir? Is this what you mean?

For example, on my car the power steering fluid cap says Dexron II or III, so I am not going to put T-IV. If the lexus is the same, most likely it is, then DONT put T-IV. Follow the cap's instruction. .

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
Are you saying your father added Dexron III to the ATF fill hole/dipstick? Odd that he'd be adding fluid to anything with a fill hole. If he added a lot I would do a drain/refill ASAP - and if he added just a little bit, I think a drain/refill might be good to do anyway. Dexron III is not really forwards compatible with Type T-IV ATF.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
One other point. You said he added Type T-IV to his transmission which takes type T-IV, that's all good and fine, BUT, is the transmission fluid level correct?
Incorrect transmission fluid level is the number one cause of tranny failure. I know, I read a lot about this when i use to own a Passat with lost of tranny problems.

I would check the tranny fluid level to make sure it is correct. On the Camry, here's the process, I don't know about Lexus but probably the same:
1. Drive the car for a few miles,
2. Stop the car, put in park but car idling (engine running)
3. Move the gear shifter thru all the gears
4. check the fluid level

He shouldn't need to add fluid to a 2004 unless there is a leak. Tranny fluid is pretty sealed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the confusion .. ok from the start:
I bought two bottles of fluids from Toyota dealership:
1. Toyota Genuine ATF which I was told to use as power steering fuild
and
2. Toyota ATF Type IV which is to be used for tranny.
My father by mistake added the first bottle #1 which only says Toyota Genuine ATF into power steering system and also into transmission. Since the bottle #1 only says Toyota Genuine ATF and does not say Type-IV now I'm confused if it's ok to add it into transmission and mix it with Type IV ?
Hope I made myself clear. I'm a little mad, because my father just told me this today, but it did happen 2 weeks ago and he's been driving car for last 2 weeks, I'm affraid something might go wrong. Thnx again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neno you should do a drain/refill or even better flush it. Type T-IV should be the only fluid in the transmission. Your right Dexron III is also a transmission fluid but it is not for your dads car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One other point. You said he added Type T-IV to his transmission which takes type T-IV, that's all good and fine, BUT, is the transmission fluid level correct?
Incorrect transmission fluid level is the number one cause of tranny failure. I know, I read a lot about this when i use to own a Passat with lost of tranny problems.

I would check the tranny fluid level to make sure it is correct. On the Camry, here's the process, I don't know about Lexus but probably the same:
1. Drive the car for a few miles,
2. Stop the car, put in park but car idling (engine running)
3. Move the gear shifter thru all the gears
4. check the fluid level

He shouldn't need to add fluid to a 2004 unless there is a leak. Tranny fluid is pretty sealed.
Just called my father and he said the level was low and that's why he added Toyota Genuine ATF into tranny. (Later he found out he also had Type-IV bottle in his garage, but it was too late) Now the level is good. I don't know how did it happened and why was it low, I guess I will have to check myself to make sure it's not overfilled now. I'll see him this coming weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neno you should do a drain/refill or even better flush it. Type T-IV should be the only fluid in the transmission. Your right Dexron III is also a transmission fluid but it is not for your dads car.
So you're saying Toyota Genuine ATF is Dexron III ?
I know those two can't be mixed together I just didn't know Toyota Genuine ATF is Dexron III.
I drive Infiniti FX and we use Nissan Type J, but the tranny is sealed so I only flush the system every 25K miles at the Infiniti dealership.
Thank you all!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you're saying Toyota Genuine ATF is Dexron III ?
I know those two can't be mixed together I just didn't know Toyota Genuine ATF is Dexron III.
I drive Infiniti FX and we use Nissan Type J, but the tranny is sealed so I only flush the system every 25K miles at the Infiniti dealership.
Thank you all!!
They are both Toyota Genuine ATF fluids. But the fluid that should be in your dads car should be Type T-IV NOT Dexron III. Dexron III is for older toyota/lexus vehicles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are both Toyota Genuine ATF fluids. But the fluid that should be in your dads car should be Type T-IV NOT Dexron III. Dexron III is for older toyota/lexus vehicles
Got it!!
Thank you very much for your time replying!!!

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I highly doubt the tranny fluid was low. If you don't have a leak its not likely to be low. When the fluid is cold its a huge difference whown one dipstick. Lot of people check tranny fluid like the check oil. When tranny fluid is cold versus hot, the diffence can be about an inch. Tranny fluid expands when hot.

I would be more concerned with the tranny than the power steering, probably not as sensitive as the tranny.
Besides tranny repairs are very very expensive.

Read up on how to chech the tranny fluid level.

I have a 2002 and I don't lose a single drop of tranny fluid, so again, his is not likly low

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I highly doubt the tranny fluid was low. If you don't have a leak its not likely to be low. When the fluid is cold its a huge difference whown one dipstick. Lot of people check tranny fluid like the check oil. When tranny fluid is cold versus hot, the diffence can be about an inch. Tranny fluid expands when hot.

I would be more concerned with the tranny than the power steering, probably not as sensitive as the tranny.
Besides tranny repairs are very very expensive.

Read up on how to chech the tranny fluid level.

I have a 2002 and I don't lose a single drop of tranny fluid, so again, his is not likly low

Good info .. thnx !!

·
Registered
2011 Prius
119 Posts
Genuine ATF is a Dex/Merc type fluid. I would have the transmission flushed with T-IV, but chances are, a small amount of Dex/Merc won't hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Next time, for about the same price, you can consider Mobil-1 fully synthetic ATF. It's compatible with Dexron II/III and Toyota Type IV, which is re-labeled Mobil-3309 anyways. One owner recently said Walmart SuperTech worked for him.

So the Dexron III probably modified the T-IV a bit, depending on the amount of mixing. But it's not like he drove on full Dexron III in a T-IV transmission, right? If you still don't feel comfortable with a few drains and refills then take it in for a flush -- if the dealer doesn't flush with Dexron-III. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next time, for about the same price, you can consider Mobil-1 fully synthetic ATF. It's compatible with Dexron II/III and Toyota Type IV, which is re-labeled Mobil-3309 anyways. One owner recently said Walmart SuperTech worked for him.

So the Dexron III probably modified the T-IV a bit, depending on the amount of mixing. But it's not like he drove on full Dexron III in a T-IV transmission, right? If you still don't feel comfortable with a few drains and refills then take it in for a flush -- if the dealer doesn't flush with Dexron-III. ;)
Thanks ..
I already made an appointment for a full flush at the Toyota stealership. It will come up to @ $200 so it's worth having piece of mind. I learned a few usefull things here regarding fluids so again thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Thanks ..
I already made an appointment for a full flush at the Toyota stealership. It will come up to @ $200 so it's worth having piece of mind. I learned a few usefull things here regarding fluids so again thanks guys :thumbsup:

Toyota dealership? Do they actually work on Lexus'? I know they are the same car company.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Why not? It's the same drive train in most instances. You can get your Buick fixed at the Chevy dealer, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use the same Toyota/Nissan dealership to work on my Infiniti FX, so I would trust them to work on Lexus as well .. of course I mean basic maintenance jobs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts