Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2014 Corolla cut le. I have not changed the trans fluid in the car. I have had it for a few years. I called a transmission shop and they told it it would be bad to change it now because it could make it worst. The car has about 210k miles on it. I purchased it when it had around 90k I think. So would it be bad to change it now. I checked online about an issue I am having that it’s a little rough when shifting from 2-3 gear. And before it wasn’t like that. Please let me know if I should change the transmission fluid and filter. Thanks.
Well if you had an American car and had that many miles yes because they're a little different in the transmission department. I recently got a Corolla that had 160,000 miles on 03 I'm sure it was never changed you never want a power flush but drain out and put back in the amount you took out. Do that several times especially if it has a brownish hue. In my case I think somebody was in there because there was no filter in the transmission pan area and I put one in. Like I said in American style the clutches are just designed and made different the Japanese are much better but on the other hand save the fluid you take out so if there is a problem with slippage you can just do the reverse brain out and put back in the old fluid but I found it to not be a problem on the Japanese automobiles to just drain and fill do it about three or four times remember there's quite a bit in the torque converter now drive it in between times you doing this best of luck

· Registered
440 Posts
can I change it when it’s cold ? Or does it have to be hot ?
Change it cold, or with as much heat as it takes to get the car up onto 4 ramps so it's level.
It has to be level with 1 degree. The temperature of the oil has to be between 35 & 45°C

The link I posted twice shows the whole procedure - look it over to decide if this is something you want to do or not.

There is no "flush" for this transmission as the oil cooler is on the front of the box, not in the radiator. So no oil lines to tap into.

· Registered
352 Posts
Use a scanner that reads transmission fluid temperature. Having said that, my reader can read engine temperature and trans temp at the same time. Guess what? Both the same, trans maybe a degree cooler. So you don't need a fancy reader. A level car is a must. Starting out with a cool car helps. If the fluid has mucho silver in it you will be changing alot of fluid until it is not silver. If you decide to drop the filter find some small hobby magnets, 3 or 4 in the pan along with the factory ones are added insurance. Use no additives. If you drop the pan use a thin coat of wheel bearing grease as a sealer, old mechanic here, that always works and it holds the gasket in place for you. Never use silicone to seal. It only takes one loose piece to clog something. Excess grease just melts into the fluid

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Corolla cut le. I have not changed the trans fluid in the car. I have had it for a few years. I called a transmission shop and they told it it would be bad to change it now because it could make it worst. The car has about 210k miles on it. I purchased it when it had around 90k I think. So would it be bad to change it now. I checked online about an issue I am having that it’s a little rough when shifting from 2-3 gear. And before it wasn’t like that. Please let me know if I should change the transmission fluid and filter. Thanks.
Whatever you do, don't do a flush. You can drain and fill it but never flush a high mileage transmission.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Change it cold, or with as much heat as it takes to get the car up onto 4 ramps so it's level.
It has to be level with 1 degree. The temperature of the oil has to be between 35 & 45°C

The link I posted twice shows the whole procedure - look it over to decide if this is something you want to do or not.

There is no "flush" for this transmission as the oil cooler is on the front of the box, not in the radiator. So no oil lines to tap into.
Yes I saw the document thank you. I do believe I will be doing it that way. Just draining it.

· Registered
129 Posts
What do u mean by flush ? Do u mean draining it completely?
A flush is when they take the pan off, and change the filter, gaskets, and all the fluid -- a more time consuming and expensive process (if you have it done by anyone else other than yourself. Conversely, a "drain-and-fill" is where you only remove the transmission oil drain plugs -- I can send a link if you like, to see the process.

Bottom line though, a drain and fill would be all I would personally do to the vehicle. This would be a good troubleshoot to see if it smooths out your shifting troubles. Remember, drain and fill only is going to remove apx. 2.2 quarts. You'll have to do this close to 3 more times to simulate a full flush, without changing the filter and removing the pan.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A flush is when they take the pan off, and change the filter, gaskets, and all the fluid -- a more time consuming and expensive process (if you have it done by anyone else other than yourself. Conversely, a "drain-and-fill" is where you only remove the transmission oil drain plugs -- I can send a link if you like, to see the process.

Bottom line though, a drain and fill would be all I would personally do to the vehicle. This would be a good troubleshoot to see if it smooths out your shifting troubles. Remember, drain and fill only is going to remove apx. 2.2 quarts. You'll have to do this close to 3 more times to simulate a full flush, without changing the filter and removing the pan.
Got it.

· Registered
440 Posts
A flush is when they hook up a machine to lines that run from the transmission to the radiator and back to the transmission. You turn the engine on and the transmission oil pump sends fluid to the flush machine. The flush machine returns new fluid to the transmission.
This is the only way to exchange all the fluid in one go - which includes the 4 quarts stuck in the torque converter.

The K313 has no oil lines going to the radiator - so this type of flush would be incredibly difficult. You would need to build a special adapter to put between the oil cooler mounted on the front of the transmission and the box itself.

It Aint Happening. Nobody has one.
If someone says they are flushing it, they are lying.

Here is the cooler - the hose connections are for the pink coolant only - go have a look for it in your car
Gesture Circle Drawing Auto part Art

· Registered
129 Posts
A flush is when they hook up a machine to lines that run from the transmission to the radiator and back to the transmission. You turn the engine on and the transmission oil pump sends fluid to the flush machine. The flush machine returns new fluid to the transmission.
This is the only way to exchange all the fluid in one go - which includes the 4 quarts stuck in the torque converter.

The K313 has no oil lines going to the radiator - so this type of flush would be incredibly difficult. You would need to build a special adapter to put between the oil cooler mounted on the front of the transmission and the box itself.

It Aint Happening. Nobody has one.
If someone says they are flushing it, they are lying.

Here is the cooler - the hose connections are for the pink coolant only - go have a look for it in your car
View attachment 412727
Thanks for your helpful advice, I'll keep it all in my brain-pan, for sure!
But I do want to say that, at least with my dealer, I just had a flush done at 30,000 miles (the car now had 31,200 miles on it, that's it, and it's a 2015 S model. My dealer, when doing the flush uses a machine and gets out a full can (4ltr can of FE specific CVT fluid) and replaced it with a full can. That means I still have about another gallon of old stuff in there). I will get that same procedure done in another 30k, Done. But it is crazy that everyone on here, and everywhere else seems to just use the drain & fill method, when it's really not worth the effort. She runs good, that's all I can say at this point. Chris, my dealer, assured me that, at least for my year and model, they've had absolutely no issues and that I should be good to go. To my understanding, 2015 was the second year that started putting the CVT in those cars -- so some of the kinks were worked out at the end of the 2014 model year. So, I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I did the drain and fill method. The bolt to the drain was difficult to come out and almost stripped but came out. The old fluid wasn't as bad as I thought. It might have been done right before I purchased the car. It was black but you can still see some color during the drain. I didnt see any think gunks coming out so for now I will wait a couple a months and do it again.

Thanks to you all for your help.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts