Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 1996 corolla that originally had a 4afe 1.6 engine. It now has a 1.8 7afe engine that needs work. I'm trying to determine if the transmission has also been swapped. The number on the case is: 1NXBAO2EX, TZ476067.
I can't tell if it's a 3 or 4 speed. Are the transmissions interchangeable between 1.6 and 1.8? I'm considering junking the motor and going back to a 1.6 but am not sure if the trans will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trans id

The motor id is a 7afe. The car doesn't run so I can't drive it. I thought about clicking through the shift linkage but I think fourth is just a lock up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine code 1Y1SK5384 RZO10066 7AF444553. Also, the 1.6 timing belt was too short, had to use the 1.8 belt. The trans is what I can't identify.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trans ID

Thanks for input. I was able to extract the information from a local toyota dealer. The plate on the transmission could be referenced to year and transmission type. Also, the last 8 digits of the second line of the plate number will match the last 8 digits of the vehicle VIN number if the trans came with the vehicle. The transmission turned out to be original equipment-
3 speed. Obviously, it bolts up to a 1.8 as well as a 1.6. I'm looking for a junkyard 1.6 and tossing the 1.8 motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts