Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 toyota 1mzfe engine and i want to put it in my 86 corolla hatch. is there any rwd truck transmission that will bolt to a 1mzfe? please i need info asap.

ps: this post may seem dumb but i just want to be to the point. i dont think of myself as an idiot, so if there is no way it can be done... just say so. the engine was free and i didnt go out and buy it and plan on putting it in the rolly, but the 4ac thats in it is on its last leg. so instead of a 4age, i have this 1mz laying around and i thought about putting it in. i put an LS1 in my 87 rx7 so i am used to fabrication and stuff like that. thanks to all who help. i also ramble a lot.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
I don't *think* the 1MZ will fit any rwd trannies. You may be able to make an adapter though. Hope you can make it work, that'd be kick a$$.

·
^
4,197 Posts
One thought occured to me. The Alltrac AWD tranny will bolt up to the 1MZ block. Theoretically you could fab some block off plates for the front halfshafts and run a driveshaft back to the diff. Or go AWD.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
I believe the W series trannies do bolt up. I know the w trannies bolt up to the S sereis motors, and the 1MZ does bolt up to the S series trannies, so it's only logical that the 1MZ can bolt on to the W series trannies. Anyway, I think the 1MZ is gonna be far too wide for the AE86/82 engine bays. You'll have problems clearing the steering rack...

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i've rested the 1mz into my 80 sr5 but i decided against going that route cause money was getting tight. i think a lexus suv came with a 1mz in it but not....wait it was an rx300. you can use that tranny or try out a supra tranny as someone posted above(w series) but you might need to make an adapter plate

·
Immortal
332 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
^Yeah, but isnt the RX300 actually Camry-based (ie FWD)? So that tranny wouldnt do him much good...

Someone else also mentioned it but I would also be concerned about actually physically fitting the motor in the engine bay. I have a Hachi as well, and after taking a look at it... It seems like it would be pretty hard to shoehorn a 1MZ in there.
Yeah I think it uses a Transverse set-up so the tranny is in essence, like a FWD tranny. The visual comparison I made was using a 3VZFE in a Tacoma, which I'm pretty sure definately will not fit, being too tall and too wide. I guess with custom work, It can fit... but It's gonna be a lot more work than its worth. Let me just say this... this is a difficult to fit engine in a Celica, which has a much much larger engine bay, so I don't know if it's worth the trouble. A 2JZ... yeah that's well worth the trouble... but a 1MZ... I dunno.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Deep said:
One thought occured to me. The Alltrac AWD tranny will bolt up to the 1MZ block. Theoretically you could fab some block off plates for the front halfshafts and run a driveshaft back to the diff. Or go AWD.
True nuff, but then he'd have a transverse mounted engine which would be way wider than longitudinally mounted. If it's that tight in there, it wouldn't fit most likely?

What do the W series trannies come in?

·
Immortal
332 Posts
alltrac165 said:

What do the W series trannies come in?
Trucks, RWD Celicas, Supras, amougst some others.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^Hmmm, 3sgte in my 87 truck maybe? I need to find out what tranny is in that sucka. Could be fun.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
6 speed out of a toyota altezza maybe? rwd and uses a 3sge. and we all know interchangeability with those

would be nice to have the 6 speed, but revvs and speeds might be a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts