Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Tacoma and I have been really quite pleased with my purchase. I haave about 61000 miles now. When I was at about 45,000 or so my truck would jerk forward when I had the brake engaged. Now this didn't happen all the time but it would happen about once every 10 stops or so. I decided to drain the tranny fluid and replaced it with synthetic to see if that would help. It did but only mildly. The jerk still occured but it was more subdued, but definitely there.

Since that time, the strong pull forward or jerk forward happens a bit less now perhaps once every 20 or 30 stops now but when it does begin, it will happen in instances of 8 or 9 times in succession. Not cool at all.

I read a bit about others having tranny issues but didn't see anyone with this sort of problem. What do you guys think could be causing it. I did buy the extended warranty and its good to 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A/C kicking in?

I'm may be entirely off with this answer, but in my 2006 auto 4x4 I notice a slight lurch every once in a while while stopped. I've noticed that this lunge always occurs when the A/C compressor kicks in (whether it's for the A/C or defroster). In my weird thinking I've always written this off as normal. I thought that I had just enough brake applied to hold the vehicle in place at that particular RPM/torque setting. When the compressor kicked in (causing an increased load on the engine), the engine will automatically increase it's RPMs (just slightly and for a split second) to handle this load. With this spike in engine RPM/torque, the brake pressure I had applied wasn't enough to hold my position, which then allowed the truck to lunge a tiny bit until I quickly applied more pedal force. Make sense? Maybe I just completely over-analyzed the whole thing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very common complaint. Been covered 1000x on this forum. Just step on the brake a little harder a stop light and it wont do it. The End.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, the ac could be a factor then???? I don't know but I will look more closely into it. I do feel the a c compressor kicking in at times but havent noticed a simultaneous jerk forward when the brake is engaged, but I will analyze it more. I guess I've just been so happy with my truck that I really haven't invested much time into it. Thanks for the common sense yet possible explanation.

With regards to just stepping on the brake harder, it doesn't always work. The truck still jolts forward and at times I get the same question again and again by my passengers. What is that? Why does it do that?

I really would like to see where this has been discussed 1000s of times. I did a search on transmission and didn't notice any complaints with this type of issue. I read about transmission shifting issues from 1st to 2nd or 4th. Not busting your nuts but would like to see the similar complaints so that I can be more aware if and when I take it to the dealership. Thanks

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
You need to search on the word "lurch". It definitely has been covered a thousand times, probably more.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
When parked in traffic I usually slip the transmission into neutral until its time to move. The truck idles more smoothly and feels as though its under less strain, and no worries about the lurch (which I have experienced several times with each time resulting from increased engine RPM and a lack of braking pressure from me). A quick flick of the wrist puts it back in D when the time comes to move. On another note, my '98 Tacoma used to do the exact same thing, sometimes even more sudden and violent than my 2005.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When it happens is it like a pop and makes you think somebody may have bumped into you lightly?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know about a pop sound, but it sometimes feels like somebody bumped you from behind.
Sorry should have been a little more clear when i said pop I meant like if something is something is binding then lets loose all of the sudden. My dads 4runner has a problem like that and it drives him nuts.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
A topic all too common in our vehicles. One guy claimed to fix it by installing a second vacuum canister in line. Its not related to AC

http://www.wsmv.com/news/14304072/detail.html

Read that article, you'll realize how common it is. A few of us, including me have been interviewed by that station.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the heads up on lurch. I did a search for jerk, jolt, transmission and nothing.

I will check into this search in a bit. With regards to a pop. It feels as though someone just bumped my truck from behind, kind of like when you're being towed and then the rope or straps pulls you forward and kind of snaps you a bit hard but not too bad. Really sucks.

Now back to my search for lurch. Thanks

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
^Yes, that's exactly it. Feels like a bump from behind. I don't think it "really sucks", just something to be aware of. If you have your foot on the brake properly, it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem Solved

I had the same problem then after replacing my front brakes the lurching stopped. My guess is my front brakes were too weak and the drums were doing most of the work, leading to binding then releasing the tension later on. I had a similar problem on a Buick, but ever since the brake change no more lurch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on lurch. I did a search for jerk, jolt, transmission and nothing.

I will check into this search in a bit. With regards to a pop. It feels as though someone just bumped my truck from behind, kind of like when you're being towed and then the rope or straps pulls you forward and kind of snaps you a bit hard but not too bad. Really sucks.

Now back to my search for lurch. Thanks
Don2000g: Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same issue on my 2003 Tacoma. I would appreciate a response when you can. Thanks - Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts