Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87' Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having similar problems as this guy did in this thread http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262404&highlight=transmission

i was driving normal speed about 45 when all of a sudden it felt like it went into neutral. pulled off the road and put it in park. tried to put it through all the gears and it felt like it would engage but when you went to press on the gas it would just rev.

got it home and did more inspecting the fluid is at its correct level. it is a little dark (about time for replacement). i also went through the gears and you can hear sort of a swishing noise when it is in R D 2 1. (sort of like something spinning) when you take it out of gear, either into N or P the swishing noise stops.

Is this just a replace the fluid it needed it and your good to go or somthing else?

thanks for the help

87 3sfe I4
not sure if its the A140L or E is there a way i can tell either block stamp or vin?

·
Registered
398 Posts
could be possible differential damage? been a good while since I've been under the 4cyl model

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Jack one side of the car above ground, set the hand brake and place stand under the side you lifted. Start the car and put it to drive; release the brake: if wheel of the ground spins the differential is good.
you also may to try the stall test.

·
Registered
87' Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks doc ill try that out and see what happens. as for the stall test i dont have wheel chocks or a tach i can hook up so that may be out of the question

edit:

ive jacked it up now one side at a time and both wheels spin in each gear.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I would suspect the worn out bushings in the front pump stator shaft; the perssue leaks out causing slipping tranny. The second suspect can be the filter in the pan [plugged], so I would start with dropping the pan and inspecting the filter.

·
Registered
87' Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright finally got a chance to drop the pan switched out the filter and checked around in there. everything looks fine the magnets have the usual shavings on them didnt see any big chunks or anything. it looks like this might have been the first time its been cracked open or maybe the 2nd if that. when i bought the car with 155,000 i did a flush but didnt change the filter.

anyway i posted the pics so you guys can let me know if it looks like everythings normal. i got to go get some fluid anyway right now so hopefully i can get a reply before the end of the night so i can put this back together.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You could pm me before you put the pan back. I need to see the other side of original filter.
also too bad you did not take the picture of valve body when the filter was out, which may reveal the stuck open regulator.
Last 2 pictures can also provide clues but they are little out of focus
Failing seal rings on direct clutch or on the input shaft will not show up with dropped pan.

·
Registered
87' Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could pm me before you put the pan back. I need to see the other side of original filter.
also too bad you did not take the picture of valve body when the filter was out, which may reveal the stuck open regulator.
Last 2 pictures can also provide clues but they are little out of focus
Failing seal rings on direct clutch or on the input shaft will not show up with dropped pan.
i had already put the pan back on and refilled it to check it out but its still doing the same. ill pull the pan again and get some pics like u said. that swishing sound when in gear is a little louder now that the fluid is changed though. u think i can get away with reusing the gasket or am i going to have to get another?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You can reuse gasket and your new filter and even the fluid provided you collect ed it in clean container..
Swissing sound can be the escaping fluid under pressure
There is one more test you may try.
Disconnect kick-down cable from throttle plate actuator.
Start the engine and let it run at idle in park.
Pull the free end of kick down cable
If noise is louder, the problem is related to pump/regulator/ internal leaks.
If for examle, the turbine wheel stripped splines on the input transmission shaft and freewheels on it it also can produce similar symptoms, however it suppose to make some tapping, rattle, clunking types of noise.
About a year ago I learned about the case with stripped splines on the front pump stator shaft which caused TC stator to freewheel. The was making whining sound and lost torque at acceleration.You may find more info in my thread about torque converter noise.
If I would not be able to spot anything wrong with pressure regulator.the tranny may have to come out for TC, front pump,input shaft inspection.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Also when you put tranny in gear do the rpms go down? [tach would be really helpful in this case]? if so the stripped input shaft splines are not likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts