Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my transmission on my 1990 sport truck with a V6. It is a 5 speed manual. Something happened and it was low on gear oil for about 600 miles, mostly highway. The whinning started very slowly and got worse and worse until I figured it out. I feel stupid for not figuring it out sooner but had no reason to believe that it was low on oil since it was recently changed. When I drained what was left yesterday it was about a pint and it was black and smelled slightly burned. Anyway, I filled it up with new gear oil and about 16 ounces of Lucas. The whine is still there but not as bad. I can shift and it goes into gears ok. The higher gears whine less. I wonder if it would be the two main bearings that took the worse hit or the gears and synchros as well????? The question is, I drive a lot for work. Several 100 miles a week. What should I do. Drive it and risk getting stranded if the tranny goes? Which I can't afford to do. Find one out of a bone yard and switch? Pull this one out and rebuild it? Another thing. Time and money are limited here. Thanks a lot for any responses.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
For the Time and money ... being soo limited

I would go get a used Tranny from the Junkyard and swap it out ...

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Yeah, a junk yard would be your best bet if cash is limited.

I Dropped $2000 on getting my transmission rebuilt. Granted it was worth it, and never runs better, but you probably don't want to spend near that much (however a manual would be much cheaper to fix).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts