Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Echo with 113,000 kms. It runs well, but after a recent transmission fluid change, I've noticed occasionally that from a standing start, the transmission will downshift and surges forward with very little throttle. Is this normal or could've the shop I used substituted an equivalent fluid instead of the toyota transmission fluid I asked for? It did'nt do this previos to the change,

·
Registered
Yaris Sedan 2007
6 Posts
Don't realy know about your problem sincerly...it could be a lot of think...

I had a big problem with my transmission (Yaris S 2007), Toyota had to change complete unit of transmission on my car and sent it bak to Toy. Canada because they didn't find what was the problem! The clutch was making a freaking sound when I wasn't clutching so....you should go to the garage!

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Sully1 said:
I have a 2000 Echo with 113,000 kms. It runs well, but after a recent transmission fluid change, I've noticed occasionally that from a standing start, the transmission will downshift and surges forward with very little throttle. Is this normal or could've the shop I used substituted an equivalent fluid instead of the toyota transmission fluid I asked for? It did'nt do this previos to the change,

You mentioned you substituted the fluid? I hate to say it but maybe, just maybe that messed up your tranny or is giving it problems. You have to be careful about generic stuff like that, sure it may be cheaper but you get what you paid for...maybe ask a Toyota mechanic (call) and tell them about your situation, do you know what tranny fluid the shop used? Keep your recites and go back to that shop, I hope its not a dick shop and they well cheat you. Good luck!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The garage told me they used toy. t.f. and charged me extra. I spoke to a toy tech at the dealership and he told me it was alright to use equivalent atf which the owners manual says not to. He furhter told me there is no way to tell if the shop I went to used toy atf. Sooo the saga continues .....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sully1 said:
"standing start"? How does that differ from starting from stop?

If a transmission is kicking down after you hit the accelerator, while on the go, it's doing what it's suppose to do. Perhaps the heel on the new shoe is messing up the pedal action :dunno:

If it's not human error, I'd get the fluids changed again, at a Toyota dealership. I only trust the dealership for fluid changes (except for common engine oil changes), these third-party mechanics don't have any respect for fluids and for a small high-efficient engine, I wouldn't take any chances on putting in the wrong fluids or trust these mechanic to go to the extra expense and trouble to get the manufactor's stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pars I was thinking along the same lines. My concern is that it did'nt do that before I had the ATF changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2000 Echo with automatic transmission should be using Toyota Type T-IV fluid, NOT Dexron III. The T-IV fluid has different friction modifiers than the other fluid and can affect the smoothness of the shifts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts