Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Toy. Corolla......I'm actually not sure if it may be a problem or not........Its my tranny its smooth shifting from 1-2, 2-3, but when it comes from 3-4 there is a slight "jolt", I had the fluid changed recently but it is still noticable. Does everyones car do that ......... i've been in a 2003 corolla.......its smooth and doesn't do that......but than again it uses different gear ratios and fluid.........Anyone?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes 4 spd auto........The jolt is mainly noticable going uphill, but not really on straight roads.........went to toyota they told me that its nothing.......normal operation!!

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
The jolt your feeling is probably just the O/D kicking in.. Because the 4th gear is much larger than the other three (It's designed so the wheels are turning faster than the engine is, for fuel economy) it can jolt when it hits that gear, particularly uphill as there is more of a load required to shift to it. Once it's in, it's fine, but getting to it under load is a problem. I suggest just turning O/D off if you can ehen your going up hills, or failing that, just drop it into 1 or 2.. to stop it from gear searching.

One thing you will notice about Autos, is they are notorius for gear searching up hills, particularly between 3 and 4, which actually uses a heap more fuel than over-revving.

In other words, its completly normal.. Nothing to worry about, just the car trying to put too much power onto 4th

1 - 6 of 6 Posts