Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Was the recall service performed in 2018?
If that was the cause of the failure, the only damage would have been to the valve body, and the recall included replacement if needed.
We've had a couple of members here get 200k+ on their CVT, and one ended up over 300k, changing fluid every 60k (he went 100 or 120k for the first change)... when the car died it was the top end of the engine, the transmission was still fine.
I had 120k on mine when it was hit and totaled, fluid changed at 90k when I had the recall done, no issues.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Note history on the vehicle....

This one is turbocharged.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the recall service performed in 2018?
If that was the cause of the failure, the only damage would have been to the valve body, and the recall included replacement if needed.
We've had a couple of members here get 200k+ on their CVT, and one ended up over 300k, changing fluid every 60k (he went 100 or 120k for the first change)... when the car died it was the top end of the engine, the transmission was still fine.
I had 120k on mine when it was hit and totaled, fluid changed at 90k when I had the recall done, no issues.
Recall was performed. Fluid has been changed. But I noticed when I first took to the dealership they forgot to tighten the fluid level straw and it cause it not to operate properly. And eventually it started to slip and then threw codes. I change the valvebody and it didn’t fix the problem. So I’m reverting to replacing it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
If the straw was not in all the way, then the pan was underfilled.
That should not have been a problem, as it had to be in at least far enough to allow the plug to seal.
But adding the stress of the turbo could be the root cause of the issues. You're not in totally uncharted territory with a turbo on the CVT, but you are among the pioneers.
I only recall one other member on the forum, and he did not put a lot of miles on it and put it up for sale not long after the mod.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the straw was not in all the way, then the pan was underfilled.
That should not have been a problem, as it had to be in at least far enough to allow the plug to seal.
But adding the stress of the turbo could be the root cause of the issues. You're not in totally uncharted territory with a turbo on the CVT, but you are among the pioneers.
I only recall one other member on the forum, and he did not put a lot of miles on it and put it up for sale not long after the mod.
I understand that. But even before the turbo. At 85k miles I noticed at 65mph it would like give out and not accelerate like it’s supposed to idk maybe my imagination

1 - 10 of 10 Posts