Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Celica ST 1.8

History - radiator leaked into trans and fouled up the clutch plates and had no 2nd gear. I pulled the trans and changed the clutch plates. Then everything worked but I got a grinding noise that increases with engine RPM. At this point I had the same issue that I have currently - losing power after a few minutes, but also noticed it seemed to be eating up trans fluid and no leaks!. I topped it off to get it back into my garage and pulled the trans out again. This time looked into the pump and noticed it had some unusual wear so I replaced it. (transmission shop agreed it was no good).

I put it back together and there is no grinding noise, but still the transmission gave out after 5 or so minutes of driving at operating temp. I turn the car off and wait a few seconds, turn it back on, and get full power again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You probably have clearance issues. How were the wave plates? Did you use a blow gun to check clutch travel? Are there any codes? I would tear down again and check everything. When you installed new clutches did you soak them first? What about your torque converter? Was that replaced or did it appear burnt or damaged?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts