Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of purchasing a 2004 Avalon XL with 26,308 miles on the clock. The original keys have worn through the plastic, so I want to replace them. I dont believe the keys have a transponder chip because the original valet key is metal only and no way it could have one. Can a 2004 Avalon not need a transponder chip in the key? I want to know before I purchase new keys off of ebay. TIA

BTW, the car has a front bench with column shift, tan leather and factory 16" wheels.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It needs a chip. I had a remote start system installed and it required a spare key be made to leave in the car so the car would start without a key in the ignition. I bought that key at a Toyota dealer. They used my VIN number and registration to confirm ownership and to cut the key. Was about $75.

The valet key should have one as well, but cannot open things like the trunk or glovebox.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got keys made a month ago for my 2004 XL and it doesn't have a transponder chip on the key. The owners manual shows which key has a transponder chip in it. (Smaller hole at the top)

I went to Home Depot to cut the keys. Before they began they used a machine to check for a chip. No chip was found and keys work just like the original.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very strange. http://www.1ablelocksmith.com/BLOG/?page_id=446

It is possible to have 2 identical cars side by side and one on the new key and the other on the old key system.
Avalon XLS, XL 1995-2004 Standard Key
Avalon XLS, XL 1998-2005 Transponder Key
Yeah, I saw that and it confused me. The chip on my 2005 G35 is removeable so I looked for similar on these keys. Then I looked at the valet key and it is all metal, no way for a chip. I figured there isn't a chip on my keys.

Mine have the elongated hole described above so I am pretty sure there is no chip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.