Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

New to the forum here. Wondering if anyone out there experienced both transponder keys not locking/unlocking using the buttons. Its a non smart key fob. It can manually lock/unlock and start the vehicle but won't transmit signal to the vehicle. Tried replacing batteries with no luck. I'm not even sure if its the transponder key module. Any input is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to add, my tpms light also started blinking and stays steady after a minute or so...i've searched this forums and i found a couple people with the same issue but seems like they haven't found the solution either.

PS: I checked all my fuses under the instrument panel and under the hood. All checked out fine.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

Disconnected the negative terminal, switched the key on/off stepped the brakes, turn the lights on/off beeped the horn to try and discharge whatever remained voltage in the electrical system. Waited 15-20 minutes and voila! TPMS light off and transponder lock/unlock works again. Not sure why it crapped out the first time but this saved me a trip to the dealer!

· Registered
2013 Camry XLE
3,670 Posts
to add, my tpms light also started blinking and stays steady after a minute or so...
This is typically what happens when 1 or more of the TPMS sensor batteries are dying.

i've searched this forums and i found a couple people with the same issue but seems like they haven't found the solution either.
Don’t understand this part, it’s all spelled out in the owners manual.

· Registered
2018 Highlander XLE AWD
267 Posts
update

Disconnected the negative terminal, switched the key on/off stepped the brakes, turn the lights on/off beeped the horn to try and discharge whatever remained voltage in the electrical system. Waited 15-20 minutes and voila! TPMS light off and transponder lock/unlock works again. Not sure why it crapped out the first time but this saved me a trip to the dealer!
Next time, just touch the negative/positive cables together to discharge any voltage.

· Registered
2017 Highlander LTD PL
472 Posts
update

Obviously, with TPMS indicating trouble and BOTH keys not unlocking, the ECU was either bad or gone crazy. You solved it!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts