Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a "Certified" 2004 Corolla CE recently.

The dealer only gave me one "black key". When I ask if I can get another one, the dealer said no. Because the they only got one with the car.

ask them whether I can get a copy from them (for free), they said no, I would have to pay for one. The key (for this model) doesn't have transponder key, you can get a key made from a locksmith, the dealer said.

Call toyota to get the correct story. They said I should have gotten two keys, one master and one valet. Also, Toyota said this model comes with transponder key. Is that true?

a day later, got a call from the Dealer's "Customer satisfaction Dept". she said just tell me when I can come * she'll instruct the service department to duplicate a key for me for FREE.

So, which key do I get? a regular key or a key with transponder? The key I got from dealer is black, not sure if it has a chip or not. Dealer said it doesn't have a transponder, Toyota said it does? Who should I believe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
All keys with a plastic head have a transponder chip for the engine immobiliser.
Both the master (black) and valet (grey) keys need to have the transponder chip in order to start the engine.

You can't get a duplicate of this key at a locksmith.

The Corollas before 2002(?) didn't have immobilisers so their keys are a piece of flat metal, kind of like house keys... these can be duplicated.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I thought that only 2005 Corolla's received the fat "transponder" key since 2005 is the first year for the electronic immobilizer.

I hope someone asked you for your VIN so they could accurately verify the part# for your key.

But yes...if this is a new car purchase, you should have received 2 regular keys and 1 valet key.

[edit]I see this is a "certified" Corolla...aka it's not new. I'm not sure if it's their policy to give you 3 keys...but I would seriously question where the other keys are and why the lock wasn't rekeyed (at previous owner's expense when the dealer purchased the car) if keys are missing.[/edit]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hatch said:
only 2005 corollas have a transponder keys, plain and simple.
I thought all the 2003+ (ZZE-120) had immobilisers? I've looked at both 04's and 05's and I *think* they both have immobilisers... Not really too sure about the 04 CE though, never really looked closely at one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there an official source to make sure?

Neither the dealer nor the Toyota rep seem to be 100% certain

·
Registered
62 Posts
keys

You are supposed to get 2 black keys, and 1 gray key. For 2005, all Corollas got a brand new engine immobilizer. Before that, I doubt a CE had this feature, but I am not 100% sure. If it did have one it is different than the one for 2005.

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
rolla-XRS said:
I thought that only 2005 Corolla's received the fat "transponder" key since 2005 is the first year for the electronic immobilizer.

I hope someone asked you for your VIN so they could accurately verify the part# for your key.

But yes...if this is a new car purchase, you should have received 2 regular keys and 1 valet key.

[edit]I see this is a "certified" Corolla...aka it's not new. I'm not sure if it's their policy to give you 3 keys...but I would seriously question where the other keys are and why the lock wasn't rekeyed (at previous owner's expense when the dealer purchased the car) if keys are missing.[/edit]

yeah - sounds right.
my "new to me" 2004 was used, certified. I got three keys and two keyless entry clickers. my valet key is just a regular old metal key without a plastic head so it can't have a "transponder" in it, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, you're right.

none of the 2004 Corolla model have keys with transponder. I confirm this with the fleet manager, and yes (the mechanic, I gave him the VIN)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sputnik said:
yeah - sounds right.
my "new to me" 2004 was used, certified. I got three keys and two keyless entry clickers. my valet key is just a regular old metal key without a plastic head so it can't have a "transponder" in it, right?
how did you get three keys with a "certified"? I only got one key from the dealer. after speaking with Toyota, then they convince the dealer to give me another one.

did you get anything extra from the dealer. like a mat or sunshade? how about a owner's manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2005 used Corolla from a New Car dealer and was given only 2 keys, 1 black and the other, the grey valet key. Later when I asked for the second black key, I was told that there was none and that was what they had. This sounded strange comming from a new car dealership. Do I have a right to a second key? or do I have to buy one? Thanks for your comments, Rrant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts