Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using the search feature on the forum, but it looks like it isn't working for me right now so....

My son just bought a 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6. The dealer only had one key, and I would like to get a couple more made. I know that it's a transponder-chipped key, but is there a part number reference for it? I'm going to get the keys from eBay (they're uncut, so I'll have to take it to a locksmith), but I just want to be sure I'm getting the right key. A lot of the eBay listings show :4C Transponder for Toyota TOY43AT4" or Toyota part number "89785-26020". Is one of these right?

Thanks.

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,651 Posts
I tried using the search feature on the forum, but it looks like it isn't working for me right now so....

My son just bought a 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6. The dealer only had one key, and I would like to get a couple more made. I know that it's a transponder-chipped key, but is there a part number reference for it? I'm going to get the keys from eBay (they're uncut, so I'll have to take it to a locksmith), but I just want to be sure I'm getting the right key. A lot of the eBay listings show :4C Transponder for Toyota TOY43AT4" or Toyota part number "89785-26020". Is one of these right?

Thanks.
You have the correct part number. The official part number is TOY43AT4 but usually they are called simply 4C. There are a couple of different kinds you can get. An official Toyota key blank or some generic. If you're OCD like me you will want the Toyota one.

They cost $8 each, or two for $13 like this listing for the generic blanks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PAIR-NEW...ash=item51bf764d27:g:viYAAMXQVhFSCEhG&vxp=mtr

One with the Toyota logo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLAC...ash=item1a490fb0e4:g:Uc0AAOSw42JZN~xK&vxp=mtr

Once you decide on which blank you want to get take them to your local Toyota dealer and have them cut the key from your VIN. You will need to show some sort of identification that you are the owner, registration, insurance, maybe even the pink slip.

Then you get to do the foot pedal Ram-a-Lam as outlined here: https://itstillruns.com/program-toyota-transponder-chip-key-5054034.html

A good source of information, as well as a place to purchase the blanks is here: http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/toyota.shtml#TOY43AT4

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have the correct part number. The official part number is TOY43AT4 but usually they are called simply 4C. There are a couple of different kinds you can get. An official Toyota key blank or some generic. If you're OCD like me you will want the Toyota one.

They cost $8 each, or two for $13 like this listing for the generic blanks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PAIR-NEW-TOYOTA-UNCUT-MASTER-TRANSPONDER-CHIPPED-KEY-BLANK-REPLACEMENT-KEY/351104552231?fits=Model:Camry&epid=658559252&hash=item51bf764d27:g:viYAAMXQVhFSCEhG&vxp=mtr

One with the Toyota logo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-TOYOTA-4C-CHIP-TRANSPONDER-MASTER-IGNITION-KEY-FOR-89785-26020/112894914788?fits=Model:Camry&hash=item1a490fb0e4:g:Uc0AAOSw42JZN~xK&vxp=mtr

Once you decide on which blank you want to get take them to your local Toyota dealer and have them cut the key from your VIN. You will need to show some sort of identification that you are the owner, registration, insurance, maybe even the pink slip.

Then you get to do the foot pedal Ram-a-Lam as outlined here: How to Program a Toyota Transponder Chip Key

A good source of information, as well as a place to purchase the blanks is here: Locksmith Charley's TOYOTA Transponder information page

Good luck.

I know this is an older post, but it has more information relevant to my 1998 Avalon transponder key. I have the TOY43AT4 blank and could not program it with the provided steps. I'm thinking that the ECU needs to be reset and/or reset. Do you have any insight to this? Thanks

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
11,045 Posts
When it comes to the transponder key, it's important. The ecu needs to see the master key in order to program the replacement key.

The only function it would have is to unlock the trunk and the doors. Wonts start ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When it comes to the transponder key, it's important. The ecu needs to see the master key in order to program the replacement key.

The only function it would have is to unlock the trunk and the doors. Wonts start ignition.
My key appears to be a master since the security light goes out immediately when inserted into the ignition. It also fits your description.
I'm questioning if the ECU needs to be reset to clear any transponder settings. Since I had the battery was disconnected > that 10 minutes I believe that it was reset.

The local Toyota service department wants to charge me $100 just to research to issue so Im trying to research the system/solution myself. There are a different programming procedures listed for the 98 Avalon and when talking to locksmiths and key copying guys at the hardware stores some say there has to be some programming made through the ECU or the OBDII system.

I'm hoping that I can make a copy through the pedal dance process. Luckily, I have a master to accomplish it vs having to have a new master made which would be very expensive.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
11,045 Posts
My key appears to be a master since the security light goes out immediately when inserted into the ignition. It also fits your description.
I'm questioning if the ECU needs to be reset to clear any transponder settings. Since I had the battery was disconnected > that 10 minutes I believe that it was reset.

The local Toyota service department wants to charge me $100 just to research to issue so Im trying to research the system/solution myself. There are a different programming procedures listed for the 98 Avalon and when talking to locksmiths and key copying guys at the hardware stores some say there has to be some programming made through the ECU or the OBDII system.

I'm hoping that I can make a copy through the pedal dance process. Luckily, I have a master to accomplish it vs having to have a new master made which would be very expensive.

Thanks
There's a max limit of keys that can be programmed to the ecu at any given time. When you reach the max limit, that's when the dealer comes in. They have the software to delete keys that are no longer used out of the ecu and program new keys. I've never tried it, so not sure. There are videos on youtube that shows how to do it. Since your vehicle is older, not sure how many previous owners have lost keys over the years and added new ones. Only the dealer has the answer to that question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts