Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: for our last family trip, as usual, I booked through a larger travel agency with an agent who I booked with over the past 10 years. In these 10-ish years we never had any concerns. This summer, we were debating between two trips to two different destinations that departed on two different dates. Let's say destination A on Friday, and B on Sunday. We settled on B on Sunday, I paid and tix were issued about 2 weeks prior to departure. On Saturday (day before departure), I realized that the agent had actually booked our trip to B for Friday, instead on Sunday. Imagine the feeling of having missed the flight and family vacation!

After much discussion and looking up our conversation history, it was established that the agent made the mistake. Agency HQ stepped in and they booked us on a trip to a destination C instead, and we paid a change fee. Agent was on the call as well.

A month later, agent got in touch and said that the HQ is now charging him $2K because of this mistake.

For my part, I feel partly responsible that I have not checked the actual ticket until the day before. I never had any issues with him in the past with any bookings and had assumed that the tix were correct. I am having a hard time with this feeling somewhat guilty that he'll have to pay out of pocket for this. $2K is a lot of $$ for me as well, so I really feel for him...

Has anyone experienced this before? I am thinking to reach out to the HQ and see if anything can be done?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice, esp from travelers and travel agents who had similar experience. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
IGZY...FWIW....Having traveled a lot, never had (so far) wrong trip booked. Your agent didn't know mistake was made until u noticed wrong booking info. Hopefully new destination was good, considering u paid a change fee. This was a faulty business transaction thru no fault of yours, right? Myself, I wouldn't feel guilty nor would I feel obligated to help agent out financially. Some other non related jobs also hold their employees financially responsible for certain mistakes. Its just business & just my opin.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The agent was charged because the ticket was non-refundable, and the agency was charged for the ticket by the airline. So either the agency or the agent (or traveler) is going to have to foot the bill, because the airlines don't budge on that sort of thing. Non-refundable fares are a lot cheaper than regular fares, and when they say non-refundable, they mean non-refundable.

I am not sure why you can't use an online travel website (or the airline and hotel websites) to search and book your own fares. Sometimes the travel agency has to mark-up the fares, so using a travel agency is not always free.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IGZY...FWIW....Having traveled a lot, never had (so far) wrong trip booked. Your agent didn't know mistake was made until u noticed wrong booking info. Hopefully new destination was good, considering u paid a change fee. This was a faulty business transaction thru no fault of yours, right? Myself, I wouldn't feel guilty nor would I feel obligated to help agent out financially. Some other non related jobs also hold their employees financially responsible for certain mistakes. Its just business & just my opin.
Thank you, the alternative destination was just as good as our originally intended one. Really appreciate the feedback, this is the first this has happened and will be a good learning point going forward...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The agent was charged because the ticket was non-refundable, and the agency was charged for the ticket by the airline. So either the agency or the agent (or traveler) is going to have to foot the bill, because the airlines don't budge on that sort of thing. Non-refundable fares are a lot cheaper than regular fares, and when they say non-refundable, they mean non-refundable.

I am not sure why you can't use an online travel website (or the airline and hotel websites) to search and book your own fares. Sometimes the travel agency has to mark-up the fares, so using a travel agency is not always free.
The agency is actually owned by the airline and I was re-booked on one their other flights to the destination C, and the HQ rep I talked to represented both the airline and the agency...

Other than these annual fam vacations, I book all my other travel myself, and I travel a LOT. My wife always wondered why I would do this one through an agency when I book all other travel myself. I guess it was for sentimental reasons for having done it for this many years. And this is when that ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts