Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I had our eyes on the 2020 HL ever since Toyota announced it in April. We had our mind set on getting the Platinum trim in Blizzard Pearl with Glazed Caramel interior. None of the local dealers in our area has this exact colors configuration available and they were quoting 3-4 months for the special order. We couldn't afford to wait that long as our 2 yr old toddler has already outgrown our current car (Camaro).

Over the weekend, I somehow came across a new listing from a dealership 400 miles away from where we live. I immediately called them and negotiated a deal over the phone. Flew in the next morning, test drove, and finished the deal within 2 hours. I drove the new car home on a 400 miles road trip.

These are a couple pictures taken at the dealership

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad that it all worked out and you got what you wanted! Even if I had $500,000 to give to a local dealership, not 100% any of them are getting one soon.
Thank you! We are still super thrilled with the new car. There were a couple addons that came with the car which we don't need such as the roof rails & paint protection film, but I received good discounts to offset the added costs. The long trip was well worth it and the Sales manager was nice enough to even pick me up at the airport.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you! We are still super thrilled with the new car. There were a couple addons that came with the car which we don't need such as the roof rails & paint protection film, but I received good discounts to offset the added costs. The long trip was well worth it and the Sales manager was nice enough to even pick me up at the airport.
Modified my post to reflect the Platinum trim that you got.... it's a total white unicorn throughout America now. XLE's and LE's are starting to show up though... a few Limited's as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How was the vehicle as far as comfort over a 400 mile journey? My wife and I will be driving down to Florida in late March. That's about 1,800 miles over 3 days for a couple of 70 year olds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. How is the new JBL sound system?
I'm not an audiophile but I'm quite impressed with the JBL speakers so far. I immediately notice a huge difference listening to the same songs on my Camaro vs this car. Sound clarity and bass levels are so much better on the JBL.

But again, I normally just listen to audio books and podcasts during my commute so the sound system was not really the top feature on my list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the front passenger seat have adjustable lumbar support? I want the HiHy Platinum but the lumbar support for the front passenger may be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the front passenger seat have adjustable lumbar support? I want the HiHy Platinum but the lumbar support for the front passenger may be a deal breaker.
No, unfortunately the adjustable lumbar support is only available on the driver's seat. You can see in the pictures below that the driver seat has the circular button for this feature, while the passenger seat does not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
393 Posts
Ok, so only 400 miles on it so far, please provide some feedback and your thoughts on it.

Highway, 70 MPH and all, still quiet - some folks have said there is wind noise over 70?

Comfortable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I had our eyes set on the 2020 HL ever since Toyota announced it in April. We had our mind set on getting the Platinum trim in Blizzard Pearl with Glazed Caramel interior. None of the local dealers in our area has this exact colors configuration available and they were quoting 3-4 months for the special order. We couldn't afford to wait that long as our 2 yr old toddler has already outgrown our current car (Camaro).

Over the weekend, I somehow came across a new listing from a dealership 400 miles away from where we live. I immediately called them and negotiated a deal over the phone. Flew in the next morning, test drove, and finished the deal within 2 hours. I drove the new car home on a 400 miles road trip.

These are a couple pictures taken at the dealership
May we know what you paid OTD??

·
Registered
561 Posts
My wife and I had our eyes set on the 2020 HL ever since Toyota announced it in April. We had our mind set on getting the Platinum trim in Blizzard Pearl with Glazed Caramel interior. None of the local dealers in our area has this exact colors configuration available and they were quoting 3-4 months for the special order. We couldn't afford to wait that long as our 2 yr old toddler has already outgrown our current car (Camaro).
Congrats! That’s probably the combination I’m going with, pending actually seeing other colors in person.

This is going to sound like a silly question, but you’re in the best position to answer since you have one. Is the rear door trim on the Platinum all hard plastic except for the soft area around the armrest? Or is it similar to the front door with soft-touch upper surfaces (and hard plastic on the bottom)?

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
Congrats!! They do exist!!

May we know what you paid OTD??
OTD pricing is pretty useless for comparing one deal to another... price before tax, title, license, and doc fees is much easier to work with. Taxes vary widely from city to city even, much less state to state.

·
Registered
548 Posts
OTD pricing is pretty useless for comparing one deal to another... price before tax, title, license, and doc fees is much easier to work with. Taxes vary widely from city to city even, much less state to state.
I would agree with TTL but Doc Fee should be included as it's is just another income source for the dealer. If they give you $500 off MSRP but charge you a $500 doc fee it's the same profit for them as selling at MSRP without a doc fee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How was the vehicle as far as comfort over a 400 mile journey? My wife and I will be driving down to Florida in late March. That's about 1,800 miles over 3 days for a couple of 70 year olds.
Ok, so only 400 miles on it so far, please provide some feedback and your thoughts on it.

Highway, 70 MPH and all, still quiet - some folks have said there is wind noise over 70?

Comfortable?
I think Toyota did a good job to make this car very comfortable for long road trips.
  • Steering wheel is buttery smooth. The Lane Keep Assist feature works quite well too.
  • Driver seat is very comfortable, especially with lumbar support and the heated/cooling feature. The center console feels good as an arm rest as well.
  • Ride quality is excellent. There were some rough roads on my route but I could barely feel it.
  • Interior soundproofing is good but can be improved. Wind noise at normal highway speed is minimal. I do notice some wind noise above 80mph and when traveling through some hills with very high winds condition, not sure if the panoramic roof has something to do with it.
  • The head up display feature on Platinum trim is a great convenience. Digital speed display with navigation directions available in front of you without having to move your head up and down too often.
  • The Auto Start/Stop feature is improved now. This feature only activates when you apply VERY firm pressure on the brake. No need to hit the Disable button every time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would agree with TTL but Doc Fee should be included as it's is just another income source for the dealer. If they give you $500 off MSRP but charge you a $500 doc fee it's the same profit for them as selling at MSRP without a doc fee.
I paid $1750 below MSRP ($750 TFS cash back included). They only have this single unit at the dealership and there were a couple other buyers interested as well so there were not much room for negotiation. Doc fee was $85 at this dealership.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I paid $1750 below MSRP ($750 TFS cash back included). They only have this single unit at the dealership and there were a couple other buyers interested as well so there were not much room for negotiation. Doc fee was $85 at this dealership.

Yeah, you probably got a fair price considering how rare Platinums are --- especially it being the one you wanted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What was your MPG for the 400 miles trip? And does those black roof-rails come standard on Platinum or they were dealer installed accessories? Anything you don't like or got annoyed so far? Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's really good. Dealer near me claimed they sold a platinum within 24 hours for a 10k mark up. Could be bs though.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts