Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, new guy here. Looking to pickup a new XSE 6MT HB soon. Recently got rid of my FR-S and been researching the Corolla like crazy. Always been a Toyota fanboy so was a pretty easy choice.

Anyways, when I go to the Toyota website to build out a 2019 XSE HB, there is an option for the TRD Air Filter, but not the full CAI. However, when I build out a 2020 sedan, I can choose either the filter or a CAI, that is said to be debuting this month.

Since the engine layout is virtually identical, shouldn't this be able to fit on the HB? Hoping to get it installed at the dealer so it is included in the warranty, but just not sure if they'll even do it if the TRD CAI isn't listed as a factory part for that model.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,633 Posts
Yes it would also fit a 2019 Hatchback 2.0... It will most likely also be listed for Hatchback when it becomes available. It is the specific TRD air intake shown in photo. For about $399 USD MSRP, it only consists of a full length airbox cover, TRD reusable air filter, and a red urethane intake tube and clamps.

Better intakes will eventually be available. I am making my own intake to replace the airbox, with a custom mount/heat shield made of Lexan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it would also fit a 2019 Hatchback 2.0... It will most likely also be listed for Hatchback when it becomes available. It is the specific TRD air intake shown in photo. For about $399 USD MSRP, it only consists of a full length airbox cover, TRD reusable air filter, and a red urethane intake tube and clamps.

Better intakes will eventually be available. I am making my own intake to replace the airbox, with a custom mount/heat shield made of Lexan. My cost will be about $40 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Flow-Sensor-Adapter-Air-Intake-Meter-Mount-70mm-2-75-Fit-for-Toyota-G0I3/292867451290?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-UP-6275ST-2-Stage-Straight-Pod-Filter-70mm-I-D-x-152mm-Length/112378782859
I've thought about doing my own, but I've convinced myself to lease this car so I don't get to deep into mods. Spent way too much money on my FR-S and now just want to lease this to keep me from spending too much lol. Will probably just go the TRD route once it is released.

In the FR-S, multiple tests showed the stock airbox with the TRD air filter was the best all around intake performance for NA. Hoping some other people play around with the CAI before I pull the trigger since I might end up sticking with just the filter.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
573 Posts
I've thought about doing my own, but I've convinced myself to lease this car so I don't get to deep into mods. Spent way too much money on my FR-S and now just want to lease this to keep me from spending too much lol. Will probably just go the TRD route once it is released.

In the FR-S, multiple tests showed the stock airbox with the TRD air filter was the best all around intake performance for NA. Hoping some other people play around with the CAI before I pull the trigger since I might end up sticking with just the filter.

The TRD box is probably going to be the best route. The aftermarket options will likely be aluminum piping which heats up and holds temp longer, although it does look good under the hood. More heat = less power.

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Sedan
66 Posts
TRD intake will fit hatchback the dealer confirmed but I ended getting sedan instead of hatch, stop by parts friday TRD intake not in system and does not have a part number generated. They said wait 6 months after anticipated release date of the manufacturing process and distribution what ever that means

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Corolla Hatchback and Sedan intake is the C-HR TRD Intake.

The TRD Intake listed for the Corollas is the top box, red hose, TRD filter that is already available, and clamps.

According to the instructions for both the C-HR and Corolla, the bottom half of the box and snorkel are kept. I cross referenced the bottom half part number 17701-47080 and it is shared between both cars.

While the C-HR instructions do not list a part number for the pieces like the Corolla one does, the pictures of both kits looks identical, if not exactly the same.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,633 Posts
The Corolla Hatchback and Sedan intake is the C-HR TRD Intake.

The TRD Intake listed for the Corollas is the top box, red hose, TRD filter that is already available, and clamps.

According to the instructions for both the C-HR and Corolla, the bottom half of the box and snorkel are kept. I cross referenced the bottom half part number 17701-47080 and it is shared between both cars.

While the C-HR instructions do not list a part number for the pieces like the Corolla one does, the pictures of both kits looks identical, if not exactly the same.
As seen in photos, the intake boot is very different between C-HR and Corolla Hatch/Sedan... TRD intake for the C-HR does not fit Corolla Hatch/Sedan.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As seen in photos, the intake boot is very different between C-HR and Corolla Hatch/Sedan... TRD intake for the C-HR does not fit Corolla Hatch/Sedan.

The intake boot is covered by the engine cover.

Since I do not have both intakes in my hands, I can only go off the installation documents and cross referencing part numbers

Attachments

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,633 Posts
The intake boot is covered by the engine cover.

Since I do not have both intakes in my hands, I can only go off the installation documents and cross referencing part numbers
The intake boot is well visible in the provided installed photos, and the C-HR's is obviously very different, as well as smaller in diameter. Your links show the Corolla intake boot, and not the C-HR's, and also no part numbers

Installation instructions show both the Corolla and also the very different C-HR's boot.

·
Registered
368 Posts
K&N had a similar upgrade as this TRD kit (hose/tube and panel cotton filter), and they showed about 3HP gain on the prev gen Corolla:

K&N 63-9041 - 63 Series Aircharger Performance Air Intake System
2018 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.8L L4 GAS
Tube Color: Black
Horsepower: Up to +2 HP
Torque: Up to +3 LBS/FT

·
Registered
421 Posts
After reading through the installation manual, the performance intake is technically JUST a red hose, upper air box, TRD filter and some smaller parts.

Am I crazy to think this is another expensive cosmetic add-on that does very little vs a full CAI? For the purpose and intent, why don't one just drop a TRD filter and call it a day?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
After reading through the installation manual, the performance intake is technically JUST a red hose, upper air box, TRD filter and some smaller parts.

Am I crazy to think this is another expensive cosmetic add-on that does very little vs a full CAI? For the purpose and intent, why don't one just drop a TRD filter and call it a day?
I have thought that too. The airbox on my old FR-S was so well designed that some tuners would recommend just a drop-in filter. Granted, it was a Subaru engine with a stupid high compression ratio.

One of the things you're paying for with the TRD CAI is the CARB rating. Would like to see some cars on a dyno stock vs. the TRD CAI, but since they aren't available yet, I doubt we'll see that soon.

Since I'm not planning on doing anything to the exhaust, I'm not opposed at all to paying a little bit of money for some induction sounds to trick my mind into thinking I did something for performance :lol:

1 - 20 of 109 Posts