Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,591 Posts
There are a lot of positive things about living in Texas but I could never live in a state that has no mountains. The roads that mountains provide for fun driving is second to none. That's one of the things I love about WA State.
We got mountain roads, but lower elevations. There's a road in Globe, az. It's called top of the world. Have not been able.to drive it yet, but will soon. It's around 40 miles long and switch backs.

·
straight cash homie
21,317 Posts
There are a lot of positive things about living in Texas but I could never live in a state that has no mountains. The roads that mountains provide for fun driving is second to none. That's one of the things I love about WA State.
I think living in the Vancouver/Portland area IS much different than living in Seattle/Tacoma with its very expensive housing. I'm sure Portland is very nice at night nowadays with protesters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Texas does, in fact, have mountains, just not close to the larger cities. (Unless you count El Paso, which has a mountain right smack through the middle of it). The highest mountains are the Guadalupe range in west Texas at 8,751 ft and in the Big Bend area. The "hill country" west of San Antonio/Austin has a decent amount of terrain as well.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
I think living in the Vancouver/Portland area IS much different than living in Seattle/Tacoma with its very expensive housing. I'm sure Portland is very nice at night nowadays with protesters.
I'm not a fan of downtown Portland, never have been. Luckily, I live east of Vancouver and have none of those issues. They pretty much stay in downtown Portland but they seem to be done for the most part now. Most big cities have issues but the area I live in is extremely low in crime issues and very high in beauty and great driving roads.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
We got mountain roads, but lower elevations. There's a road in Globe, az. It's called top of the world. Have not been able.to drive it yet, but will soon. It's around 40 miles long and switch backs.
I've driven many roads in AZ. While not to the same level because of the lack of elevation I have found some nice drives. The road through Globe is excellent and I just drove that last October. Here is a picture when I drove through.

Reactions: 75aces and Dcluley

·
Registered
232 Posts
Texas does, in fact, have mountains, just not close to the larger cities. (Unless you count El Paso, which has a mountain right smack through the middle of it). The highest mountains are the Guadalupe range in west Texas at 8,751 ft and in the Big Bend area. The "hill country" west of San Antonio/Austin has a decent amount of terrain as well.
The mountains in the Big Bend area are a blast to drive around. We have a viper rally that we meet in that area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That looks awesome. I have never driven in those mountains/canyons only saw them from a distance on I-10.

Speaking of Arizona one of the more famous roads in the country is in eastern Arizona called the Coronado Trail or Devil's highway. I have not driven it myself but my uncle did it on a motorcycle once when he did a trip out west. Supposedly spectacular. I have driven the Tail of the Dragon, the Blue Ridge Parkway and 197 Black Mountains road in NC, and the Little River Gorge and some others that aren't named in the Smokies. None of them in my 'Rolla yet, though due to Covid. We don't have many good ones down here in Florida, hahaha. The best I have done in this car are around the Lake Wales Ridge and Brooksville/Dade City area. They are still pretty fun though. There is a road on the way to my parent's property in Bushnell called Bridges/Youth Camp road that is a nice drive, and 561, the back way through Clermont is really fun if there isn't traffic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We've driven tail of the dragon with our viper group, is a blast as well, last time we all met up, one of the gen 5 owners wrecked out. Devils highway sounds awfully familiar, i'll have to look that one up

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
That looks awesome. I have never driven in those mountains/canyons only saw them from a distance on I-10.

Speaking of Arizona one of the more famous roads in the country is in eastern Arizona called the Coronado Trail or Devil's highway. I have not driven it myself but my uncle did it on a motorcycle once when he did a trip out west. Supposedly spectacular. I have driven the Tail of the Dragon, the Blue Ridge Parkway and 197 Black Mountains road in NC, and the Little River Gorge and some others that aren't named in the Smokies. None of them in my 'Rolla yet, though due to Covid. We don't have many good ones down here in Florida, hahaha. The best I have done in this car are around the Lake Wales Ridge and Brooksville/Dade City area. They are still pretty fun though. There is a road on the way to my parent's property in Bushnell called Bridges/Youth Camp road that is a nice drive, and 561, the back way through Clermont is really fun if there isn't traffic.
The Devil's Highway that I know of is the old Route US666 that was renamed US491 that runs north/south through western NM, CO, and turns into Utah. I looked it up and it confirmed it. There is also one in AZ but it's a dirt road. I've driven this road several times and in many places it's very good. I drove a portion of it last October. US 180 that runs north/south through a small part of AZ and mostly NM is also amazing. I turned west on NM/AZ 78 and took this at the NM/AZ border. I've driven my 2009 Corolla S in every state and have found many great roads. I do love the roads around the Smokey Mountains and enjoyed the Tail Of The Dragon on several different trips as well as many other roads in the area.

Here was a blast along the Tail Of The Dragon back in 2015.

Reactions: TuckerE36

·
Registered
686 Posts
My fav fun drives in US:
1) Coast cliff side drive from Muir Woods to Pt Reyes. On short list of my top drives anywhere in the world!
2) Fast drive from LA to Vegas, made it in 3.5 hours including a coffee break in Barstow.
3) Phoenix via Sedona to Denver scenic
4) Utah drive up to the Olympic village. Driving through Vermont mountains...

·
straight cash homie
21,317 Posts
My fav fun drives in US:
1) Coast cliff side drive from Muir Woods to Pt Reyes. On short list of my top drives anywhere in the world!
2) Fast drive from LA to Vegas, made it in 3.5 hours including a coffee break in Barstow.
1) I've been to Muir Woods, spectacular, though I don't think I much of the cliff drive. I remember Nike missiles for some reason
2) I usually hate I-15, especially when everyone in California is trying to go to Vegas
3) Any drive through Sedona and around it is damn nice; there's a small hillside town named Jerome that is also worth a stop. Did it in a Camry Hybrid.
4) Utah and its parks are still on a bucket list (Have gone to Monument Valley)

·
straight cash homie
21,317 Posts
The Devil's Highway that I know of is the old Route US666 that was renamed US491 that runs north/south through western NM, CO, and turns into Utah. I looked it up and it confirmed it. There is also one in AZ but it's a dirt road. I've driven this road several times and in many places it's very good. I drove a portion of it last October. US 180 that runs north/south through a small part of AZ and mostly NM is also amazing. I turned west on NM/AZ 78 and took this at the NM/AZ border. I've driven my 2009 Corolla S in every state and have found many great roads. I do love the roads around the Smokey Mountains and enjoyed the Tail Of The Dragon on several different trips as well as many other roads in the area.
Did you drive any part of the Navajo reservation?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
Did you drive any part of the Navajo reservation?
I've driven almost every road in NM so any roads that pass through any of the many reservations I've been on. Much of eastern AZ, UT, and CO I've driven. There are some amazing roads in these states.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
My fav fun drives in US:
There is nothing special about LA to Vegas! :ROFLMAO: Some of my favorite roads that aren't in the Smokey Mountains.
1. OR3/WA129 - This is an amazing road from Enterprise, OR to Lewiston, ID. The canyons are epic.
2. Idaho 21 - From Stanley, ID to Boise, ID is one of the best drives ever.
3. Utah 44 - From Manila, UT to Flaming Gorge, UT. Another crazy great road.
4. US 191 - From Flaming Gorge, UT to Vernal, UT. Every time I drive it.....WOW!!!
5. Colorado 139 - From Rangley, CO to Loma, CO. Beautiful and fun with a great drive over the pass.
6. Colorado 92 - From Hotchkiss, CO to US50. This drive is legendary. And the views!!!!!!
7. Colorado 149 - From Hwy 50 to South Fork, CO. Up and over 12k' passes, simply an amazing drive.
8. US 180 - From Silver City, NM to Alpine, AZ. This is another great drive and I never tire of it.
9. US 60/AZ 77 - From Globe, AZ to Show Low, AZ. A great drive with amazing desert views and canyons.
10. Utan 12 - From Torrey, UT to US 89. Views and terrain that are 2nd to none. What a drive.
11. Utah 24 - From Loa, UT to Hanksville, UT. Straight through Capital Reef National Park, nuff said.
12. Oregon 410 - From Sumpter, OR to Ukiah, OR. I was blown away by this small back road.

I could name many more just in my back yard in WA State too! The roads around Mt. St. Helens are amazing.

Reactions: igzy
181 - 195 of 195 Posts