Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
638 Posts
I would get AEM if it was CARB legal hence TRD intake
I like the aem because it maintains the cold air tube from factory oem intake... its also 100 more than the injen here and I was going to re-install the cowling from the oem intake and fab some custom tube through the heat shield of the injen to get the best of both ill post pics when I'm done

·
Registered
298 Posts
So, after driving for week I have some observations. Other than using my butt-dyno, I have no way to extrapolate performance data, so basically everything is anecdotal. Heck, all gains could be in my head.

Overall the car feels a little more spirited. In the low RPM range (idle-1500k~ish) it feels a little more perky. Where I notice more gain is on a hard pull above 3500k RPM, it's nothing to write home about, BUT i did notice it. I have noticed that I am smiling more also... :)
Here's something I thought was interesting...I purchased the TRD air box and tube before my TOM'S filter arrived, so I went ahead and installed it using the stock air filter. Right away I could feel harder pulls in the above mentioned RPM ranges. When I added the TOM'S filter it seemed to marginally improve. I think I should have waited until the filter came to install the whole thing, the gain would likely be much more noticeable rather than piece-mealing it together. The engine tone in the cabin has changed a bit also, it just seems a bit deeper/throatier, but just barely. Outside of the car it sounds the same more or less. I think for the money ($270 including shipping for all parts) it's a good deal. I think the AEM short ram intake would make for better performance and sound. I'd like to add exhaust also, but waiting to see if someone comes up with a solution to the fake exhaust, or one that doesn't look so garish.

Overall, I am happy with the parts. I know this car is never going to be "fast" car, but anything I can do to make my commute to work fun is worth it in my opinion. Once I have put a few tanks through it with the intake i'll report back again.

So running with OEM filter and the TRD box is it worth it to get the TOM's air filter? Is there any longer term impression you have?

BTW, I know my avatar is 2014 Camry, I am planning on getting 2021 Corolla XSE Hatch next month. My brother will be buying my Camry. So I'm starting to look at simple little things to make the Corolla a little more fun to drive. Wondering if the TRD Box is worth the hassle.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So running with OEM filter and the TRD box is it worth it to get the TOM's air filter? Is there any longer term impression you have?

BTW, I know my avatar is 2014 Camry, I am planning on getting 2021 Corolla XSE Hatch next month. My brother will be buying my Camry. So I'm starting to look at simple little things to make the Corolla a little more fun to drive. Wondering if the TRD Box is worth the hassle.
The box is a hard sell cause TRD doesn't post the gains so one can judge. Other aftermarket intake shops post some dyno runs and one can easily justify the $$. Gains are posted for other vehicles but haven't found one for Corolla HB, and they seem to produce a few ponies. My intake is stock with a K&N panel filter.

Personal take: if I was looking to replace the intake, I would go for TRD as it maintains warranty and I know there is Toyota engineering behind it. Other intakes, esp cone versions, I stay away from as the cone draws from the engine bay (WAI) and gets dirty faster, and tube tends to be metal and warms up more vs stock box, etc. Here you will find opinions :)

·
Registered
465 Posts

I use the K&N filter with the TRD box. I think the TRD Box is worth it since it maintains the warranty, is quite easy to install, and maintains the water and dirt ingress protection of the stock box.

Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah in the past I've used Amsoil Dry Cone Filters for my Cold Air intakes. But this will be my 120 mile daily commuter so I'm not looking to get crazy modding. My Camry I kept stock and was happy with it. Only mods I did to that was aftermarket wheels and Stereo. So I may or may not want to do this.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't like oiled filters next to maf
I've been using K&N panel filters for decades on all my cars... Cumulatively have driven over 1M kms with them and none of the cars ever had any concerns with this... I do have a method to reoil filters so I don't overoil them... And, I am not affiliated with K&N or any sellers of their products :)

·
straight cash homie
21,317 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I really like how they offer dry vs oiled filter

·
Registered
465 Posts
I really like how they offer dry vs oiled filter
They also offer what appears to be an oiled one that they claim makes a little more HP.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
I don't like oiled filters next to maf
Me either and I won't use a K&N oiled filter near it anymore after it caused me problems on my 89 Supercharged MR2 many years ago. I've never had any issues with dry filters. I do use a K&N oiled filter on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT but air has to pass through the turbo, intercooler, and wrap all the way around before it passes the MAF so I feel pretty safe on the car.

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Registered
638 Posts
Me either and I won't use a K&N oiled filter near it anymore after it caused me problems on my 89 Supercharged MR2 many years ago. I've never had any issues with dry filters. I do use a K&N oiled filter on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT but air has to pass through the turbo, intercooler, and wrap all the way around before it passes the MAF so I feel pretty safe on the car. View attachment 322778
I love the 89 supercharged ... guys were pulling oil from filters inches up the cold air tube on their intakes on my last civic... I swear against oiled filters ... cold air tube is long that's one thing but so close to the maf you are asking for problems

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
I love the 89 supercharged ... guys were pulling oil from filters inches up the cold air tube on their intakes on my last civic... I swear against oiled filters ... cold air tube is long that's one thing but so close to the maf you are asking for problems
I agree, there is no need to mess with oiled filters close to the MAF.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
68 Posts
The Takeda air intake looks great. I like how it's fully enclosed. Where does it draw air from? Exterior from the stock bumper entry?

141 - 160 of 195 Posts