Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'll let it rip. I installled my TRD quickshifter at about 110,000 miles on my 01. It started out a little notchy compared to the stock shifter. Now at 133,000 miles it grinds almost every time going into 3rd gear and sometimes 4th gear.

Is this normal or is something worn out? It's getting so annoying that I'm considering reinstalling the stock shifter for troubleshooting but it's a pain in the ass. Is there anything else I should try first like bleeding the clutch? I always use Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What? No one else on this entire board has a TRD quickshifter??? I guess I have a very rare Rolla!!:lol:

G

·
did you ever think about the synchros being the problem? its very common for 3rd to grind. and if you want magic tranny fluid use GM SYNCHROMESH. It's expensive but well worth the price. I had the notorious 2nd and 3rd grind and now i run the GM SYNCHROMESH and doesnt have the grinds anymore. It's the only thing GM is good for.

G

·
Amsoil and Pennsoil make cheaper alternatives that are suppose to be exact copies for just under $7 dollars a quart, where the GM is just over $10 a quart (USD)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

Is the GM fluid only available at a Garbage Machine stearlership?

If the synchros are bad is it a practical DIY to replace them or should I go to a shop?

G

·
any gm dealership, pontiac, chevy, cadillac, saturn etc... try the fluid before you go rebuilding your tranny. the fluid wont fix the problem, but it lubes it a lot better so it most likley will make the problem unnoticable for another 100,xxxmiles :D

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
If it was the clutch it would do it in every gear.

2 of my 3 ae101s grind into 3rd, really bad.
They've been like that for over a year, and have seen 6/7 trackdays and still haven't given up.
So not that big a deal really, especially since I got my spare box for NZ$100.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't bleed or adjusted the clutch nor have I adjusted the linkages. I only inspected everything.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
somtimes when installing the shifter if ever part is not lubed enough or if certein parts are installed differently it will cause the shifter to feel funny.

however if your grinding at just 133,000miles how do you drive? do you have a counter weight shift knob (heavy shift knob 1-2lbs)? is your pedal engagement/shifter engagement on timing with each other (not that i dougt your manual driving skills its just that somtimes changing somthing can throw off your timing)?

1st i'd try bleeding the clutch slave. seeing how that goes if it truely is somthing internal mechanical i'd try the fluid that was recommended. do all this before thinking about rebuilding the tranny.

incase you don't know whats involved in a tranny rebuild i'll give some insight. you'll need a XXXXXX ton press, followed by certian SS tools (special service tools) that you'll need as they provide the only means of removing certain bearings without damaging anything. you'll then need a bgb or a diagram of how the tranny is disasembled and reasembled followed by tq specs. seals, syncros and bearings usaually total aroung $400-600 usd (lsd time maybe :) or even cryod treated). labor for a tranny is about 10hours however it'll take 1-2 weeks maybe even more depending on if you break or have to preload certain parts that need certain size shims.

if your rebuilding yourself look to take 2-3weeks on the project. a tranny rebuild is actually stright forward and you can actually test to see if everthing works before you decide to drop it in the car. as i said the rebuild process is not long its actually waiting for right parts. also try to aim for bearings such as koyo and equal or better quality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try a trans fluid change next week since I'll already be getting dirty with an oil change. If that doesn't help I'll probably bleed the clutch since the fluid is still the original which is probably due for replacement.

Is the GM Synchromesh made by Penzoil? If so I don't know if I want to try it. I hate Penzoil since it's parafin based which is hell for engines.

I drive fairly normal with occasional spirited driving and it's mostly highway. I still have the original clutch.

My shifter has the OEM shifter nob not the TRD since I didn't like the look or feel of the TRD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you never had the same grinding on stock shifter, then it's normal. That buzzy feeling is just the nature of that shifter. C's short shifter doesn't have that buzzines/grinding noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts