Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck between buying a progress sway bar or a trd sway bar for my 06 matrix xr. is the purchase with the better handling you get, and the progress bar is about 70 dollars cheaper then the trd bar but i dont mind spending the extra 70 if trd is better., but i would rather save if i can but i want to know people opinions and thoughts

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok well i was at my lunch break at work i look under my car and saw what looks like a rear sway bar already installed. i have an 06 xr b model and my friend has a base 06 trix and they both have what looks like a sway bar, is this tru or is it something else. bc if a sway bar is already there then why would i need to but a progress bar or trd bar

·
Registered
Matrix XR 2003
188 Posts
Yes the Matrix already has its own rear sway bar. But if you noticed - it's hollow. the Progress Rear Sway Bar or Hotchkis should be youe best bet. It's not hollow and way cheaper than the TRD brand. The rear suspension should feel tighter and you will have less body roll in a turn.
Hope this helps.

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes thank you

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i just bought the progress rear sway bar and teh dc strut bar, as soon as i get the in and installed i will post pics and tell you what i think

·
Registered
506 Posts
The OEM rear sway is not hollow. It is slightly less in diameter than the Progress one that I just installed a couple of weeks ago. Due to winter and icy roads, I can't really give it a true test to see if there really is any difference. The trix does feel very solid when cornering though. Generally, others swear by them. AFAIC, the verdicts still out though.

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but no matter what i will have increase handle with the progress sway bar. i mean i am also installing a dc strut bar so i am expecting a huge increase in handling

·
2006 XRS
2006 Matrix XRS
90 Posts
titaniumXR said:
but no matter what i will have increase handle with the progress sway bar. i mean i am also installing a dc strut bar so i am expecting a huge increase in handling
The only way to truly tell is to take it out and run it hard without the upgrades. Then install the RSB and the STB and run it hard again....and just to be sure do it all over again.
I have both mods on my XRS, and to tell you the truth, it's really hard to tell the difference. But what do I know......I plan on installing the Eiback ProKits this spring, then maybe I'll see the culmination of all my handling mods.:licklips:

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tru i understand, i want to lower my trix, but there are some many speed bumps and potholes and just shitty roads, that i am afraid to ruin my car, do you recommend anything, i am just thinking about keeping stock for a while but i would love to lower it

·
Registered
506 Posts
titaniumXR said:
tru i understand, i want to lower my trix, but there are some many speed bumps and potholes and just shitty roads, that i am afraid to ruin my car, do you recommend anything, i am just thinking about keeping stock for a while but i would love to lower it
Then the Prokits are for you. I had the same concerns, and the Prokits only lower the trix about 1.2". See my sig:

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do u recommend a place in where to buy the prokits, and about how much should they run. and about how hard are they to install. I help my buddy install lowering spring in his accord, and that was a lil of a pain. i would much rather pay someone the labor to install them if its going to be some what difficult.

·
06toyoXR
06 Toyota Matrix XR
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i have access to everything i need to install them, my dad owns a shop about an hour from were i live so i can always take it there, but its an hour drive. i will shop around. thanks guys, and my dc strut bar and rsb came in today so i will be installing thoses and i will post pics soon.

·
2006 XRS
2006 Matrix XRS
90 Posts
TRXR4KDS said:
Go here:

www.neverenoughauto.com

If they're not on his site, email Brad. Very reputable guy. I'd get someone to install them unless you kow what you're doing and have access to a spring compressor.
Exactly what TRX said. They sell the Prokits on ebay for a really nice price. I assume that they are legit. They're listed as Eibach ProKits.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:D

You'll be really happy with the Progress RSB and DC STB. The TRD are just a repainted, price increased Hotchkis bar anyways. Besides, the front can be a real pain to install. You'll be good with the setup you're going with.

Prokits are a good way to go if you dont want your car too low. Howerever, I'll tell you from dealing with a lot of Matrix/Vibe guys that customers who buy Prokits come back a year later and buy Stechs. They always end up wanting it lower.

·
Registered
Matrix XR 2003
188 Posts
Re-reading this thread I realize I made a mistake, must have been going back and forth on 3 different sites @ the same time. My bad.:confused:

The stock rear sway bar is NOT hollow - just not as dense and not as big as the Progress RSB.
Definitely handles turns better with Progress as compared to OEM.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts