Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4wd, but not with the TRD pkg. I found a set of struts and shocks for sale off an 2003 Tacoma TRD truck. Will these work on my truck?

The shock manufacture (Bilstein) says that those shocks won't work. I called the dealer and they said the same thing.

I guess I didn't think the TRD was a lift pkg for the Tacoma??? I thought the shocks were just a little stiffer...and would fit on my truck assuming same mounting connections.

I guess I'm wrong, but does anybody know for sure if I got correct information? I'm looking to upgrade my suspension with Bilstein shocks and want to get a set of them for reasonable price. A brand new set (front and rear) will cost me about $300 bucks...ouch. Does anyone know where I can find them cheaper?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 01 also, and last month replaced the rear shocks (stock, no name on them) with HD Bilsteins from Autozone for $130 total. I don't know why an 03's wouldn't work, it's still the same gen as the 01. I know the TRD has a different spring rate than the standard 4x4, but again, as far as I know the parts all attach the same way in the same place so it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this, been searching the forum. I've got a 2002 w/o trd as well, but I do a lot of off road on it, and bottom out the front suspension frequently. How'd those springs fit in yours? Did you notice any difference in performance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts