Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:deadhorse OK, back at it again, the last time. My '07 TRD Sport 4WD AC auto trans. Tow Pkg. is still in the vibrating mode. Dealer has no answers, of course, or will not give any. Last attempt, new 265-70-17 LTX/MS Michelin tires, no improvement. I am trying to tell them driveline, they don't think I am serious.

Question: Need answers. They will give me my money back, every penny paid, I paid cash. I can take it and run, or order a new Toyota of my choice, invoice less any other profit. I am thinking, just an '07 SR5 4WD, auto trans. Is getting away from the TRD Sport option going to help me any with the vibration issue?

I have researched this till I am blue in the face, been to all off road sites, experts in driveline tech, the 4X4 Wire with Steve Johnson, Scott Wilson, who have a handle on this.
I realize the one piece driveshaft can work, but I do not want to go out of warranty specs.

Any feedback appreciated, as I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this vibrating machine. I have driven the new platform 4 Runner's, one's I drove are worse then my Tacoma.
Yesterday, I picked up about 1200 lbs. of mulch, bagged. The vibration was less pronounced with the bed loaded.
Thanks,

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
I have the same problem with my truck, Finally the vibration got bad enough the dealer had to address it and not say it was normal. I am waiting for a driveshaft assembly now so the dealership can replace it. My truck is a Long bed sport DC. I think it is a combination of the U-joints and the center carrier bearing.

There is thread talking about a vibration after installing a lift that is here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t178584.html

that explains it pretty well. I think this is going to be a problem with a lot of trucks in the future as they start getting some miles on them especially the long bed trucks since the the driveline is so long.

speeway blue

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
I guess I'll count my self lucky then. I dont have any vibrations and I have almost 54k.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Speedway blue said:
I have the same problem with my truck, Finally the vibration got bad enough the dealer had to address it and not say it was normal. I am waiting for a driveshaft assembly now so the dealership can replace it. My truck is a Long bed sport DC. I think it is a combination of the U-joints and the center carrier bearing.

There is thread talking about a vibration after installing a lift that is here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t178584.html

that explains it pretty well. I think this is going to be a problem with a lot of trucks in the future as they start getting some miles on them especially the long bed trucks since the the driveline is so long.

speeway blue
I'm not sure but I think that thread is refering to the 6speed.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
cj99si said:
I'm not sure but I think that thread is refering to the 6speed.
Automatic.... my rig is a 2006 doublecab Prerunner TRD offroad V6 with approx 15,000 miles. however, i had no vibration at low speed until i installed the lift. It can't hurt to just loosen the carrier bearing and take the stress out of the driveshaft, if there is any... if it doesn't work, at lease you tried and noone will be the wiser....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove a manual trans '06 4WD Tacoma, not a TRD. No vibration. Never had these problems with my other Tacoma's, just this new platform.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Phoenix1, can you describe your vibrations? I have vibration issues as well but they don't seem to be totally consistent. It feels like the tires are out of balance but it happens at different speeds on different days and occasionally not at all. I'm thinking it may be temperature dependant because it's most offensive on the second half of my 30 mile commute. It is most annoying and most noticable in stop and go traffic.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
CraigT said:
Phoenix1, can you describe your vibrations? I have vibration issues as well but they don't seem to be totally consistent. It feels like the tires are out of balance but it happens at different speeds on different days and occasionally not at all.
I noticed this for the first time last week. I pulled into a parking lot to ensure all my lug nuts were tight. Felt like an out-of-balance tire or loose rim. Haven't noticed it since.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote=CraigT]Phoenix1, can you describe your vibrations? I have vibration issues as well but they don't seem to be totally consistent. It feels like the tires are out of balance but it happens at different speeds on different days and occasionally not at all. I'm thinking it may be temperature dependant because it's most offensive on the second half of my 30 mile commute. It is most annoying and most noticable in stop and go traffic.[/quote]

Craig - What you are saying is what I am experiencing. When cold, mimimal vibration, after warm up, 10 miles out, vibration very noticeable. This vibe did not start until the odo showed 275 miles. 35 mph and under, it is a shudder, deceleration and acceleration.

(Note: There are threads on here about balancing the wheels lug-centric. Hunter Hawkeye balancer and road force balancing). Service department did all this with mine.

Under load, meaning accelerating, above 35 mph, vibration less noticeable up to 75+ MPH. At constant speed, especially 50 up to highway or xpwy driving speeds, always vibrates.
I realize there is warranty on drivetrain. In IMO, this dilutes the value of the vehicle. If I sell at anytime, this could be a problem.

From my research, the Toyota factory rep's say it is in spec, normal. BS. Why should we accept second best? There are not any TSB's, or will there be. A recall would cost mega bucks.

The 4-Runners are worse. I drove a new Limited, it had Michelin Cross Terrain's on it. Very bad. When the chief tech at the dealership went for a ride with me in the Tacoma, I put it in neutral at 55 mph, same vibration, he said to me that it was not in the driveline doing that.
Then the next week, this same wrench told me that it was the auto trans doing the vibration, hunting for a gear. He may have been referring to the low spped shudder.

I got rid of the OE Bridgestones, gave them away, went with in my opinion best tire for this vehicle, Michelin LTX/MS. Did not match up, as OE size on the Sport 4WD is 265-65-17. Michelin is 265-70-17. Same vibration.

I read one thread here that said not all the Tacoma's are doing this.

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
i dont think it being a TRD sport would have anything to do with it. So if you do get another one, i wouldnt let that be a deciding factor of getting the sport on non sport.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Phoenix1 said:
[quote=CraigT]Phoenix1, can you describe your vibrations? I have vibration issues as well but they don't seem to be totally consistent. It feels like the tires are out of balance but it happens at different speeds on different days and occasionally not at all. I'm thinking it may be temperature dependant because it's most offensive on the second half of my 30 mile commute. It is most annoying and most noticable in stop and go traffic.[/quote]

Craig - What you are saying is what I am experiencing. When cold, mimimal vibration, after warm up, 10 miles out, vibration very noticeable. This vibe did not start until the odo showed 275 miles. 35 mph and under, it is a shudder, deceleration and acceleration.

(Note: There are threads on here about balancing the wheels lug-centric. Hunter Hawkeye balancer and road force balancing). Service department did all this with mine.

Under load, meaning accelerating, above 35 mph, vibration less noticeable up to 75+ MPH. At constant speed, especially 50 up to highway or xpwy driving speeds, always vibrates.
I realize there is warranty on drivetrain. In IMO, this dilutes the value of the vehicle. If I sell at anytime, this could be a problem.

From my research, the Toyota factory rep's say it is in spec, normal. BS. Why should we accept second best? There are not any TSB's, or will there be. A recall would cost mega bucks.

The 4-Runners are worse. I drove a new Limited, it had Michelin Cross Terrain's on it. Very bad. When the chief tech at the dealership went for a ride with me in the Tacoma, I put it in neutral at 55 mph, same vibration, he said to me that it was not in the driveline doing that.
Then the next week, this same wrench told me that it was the auto trans doing the vibration, hunting for a gear. He may have been referring to the low spped shudder.

I got rid of the OE Bridgestones, gave them away, went with in my opinion best tire for this vehicle, Michelin LTX/MS. Did not match up, as OE size on the Sport 4WD is 265-65-17. Michelin is 265-70-17. Same vibration.

I read one thread here that said not all the Tacoma's are doing this.
Well, I'm at least glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I do think the vibration between 20-30mph is the transmission going between 2 and 3 or maybe being partly in both if that's possible. That's annoying also. I have put the truck in nuetral at highway speeds and the vibration does not go away just as you experienced. This means it's the driveshaft? I don't think it's the tires because it happens in varying degrees. If it were my tires I assume it would be pretty consistent. My plan now is to take it to the dealer(again) fully warmed up and have them drive it in rush hour stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
06Sport said:
i dont think it being a TRD sport would have anything to do with it. So if you do get another one, i wouldnt let that be a deciding factor of getting the sport on non sport.

I zm thinking that also. Reading other post's on other sites, it is not in all the Tacoma's, Sport, Off Road, Plain Jane's, etc. I just believe a mild lemon was thrown my way. With the cooperation from the dealer, he is willing to fix it. He has offered a "Take my money and run", or buy another at net/net.

This is my 4th Toyota pickup, I still have faith in the brand.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
take the money and run. i had an 04 4runner that i bought new and just traded for an 07 honda... and never felt anything wrong with the driveline... but thats just me.

and i have the off road package and dont feel this vibration... (knock on wood).

if i had a dealer offering the cash back option, id just look at it as an oportunity to have a new rig of my choice...

just my $0.02

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once more. Sitting still, put your Tacoma in neutral. Rev engine to the 2200 rpm range. You may feel the vibration of the engine also. Do they all do it? Dunno. Mine does, and i was told this is the way it is.

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
I think you just got a lemon. I have over 11,000 miles on my TRD Sport (Xtra-Cab, 4wd, Auto) and I do not have any vibrations...and I have never even rotated or balanced the crappy stock Dunlop tires (I plan on replacing them very soon so I could care less if they wear unevenly). I have just kept them aired at 36 PSI and they ride well- they just don't grip worth a shit on any type of wet road and they are terrible in even light mud...oddly enough they have done fairly well in the snow though :confused:

...I would take the money and bid that truck farewell :deal:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 tacomas said:
I think you just got a lemon. I have over 11,000 miles on my TRD Sport (Xtra-Cab, 4wd, Auto) and I do not have any vibrations...and I have never even rotated or balanced the crappy stock Dunlop tires (I plan on replacing them very soon so I could care less if they wear unevenly). I have just kept them aired at 36 PSI and they ride well- they just don't grip worth a shit on any type of wet road and they are terrible in even light mud...oddly enough they have done fairly well in the snow though :confused:
2 tacomas said:

...I would take the money and bid that truck farewell :deal:
Two Tacoma's - I agree, on one of my post's, I said that I may have gotten a mild lemon. I have thought of just getting the duplicate truck. I have $29476.17 to take or spend at the Toyota dealer. I am going to order or they can find in inventory an SR-5 4WD with Tow Pkg, and some other options. Thinking they cannot hit the lemon bullseye twice.
That $$ amount is total OTD, 2007 Sport-4WD-AT-AC-Tow Pkg-SS Tubes-Util #3.

If I don't buy another Tacoma, what do you buy in that price range?

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Phoenix1 said:

Two Tacoma's - I agree, on one of my post's, I said that I may have gotten a mild lemon. I have thought of just getting the duplicate truck. I have $29476.17 to take or spend at the Toyota dealer. I am going to order or they can find in inventory an SR-5 4WD with Tow Pkg, and some other options. Thinking they cannot hit the lemon bullseye twice.
That $$ amount is total OTD, 2007 Sport-4WD-AT-AC-Tow Pkg-SS Tubes-Util #3.

If I don't buy another Tacoma, what do you buy in that price range?

Well, if you want to stick with Toyota I would go with the FJ. It's got the same engine as the Tacoma, is right in your price range, is very capable off-road completely stock, has a lot of aftermarket accessories available, and most people absolutely love them (other than the nasty blind spots in the rear-corners). If you do go with another Tacoma don't forget that Toyota is giving a $750 rebate on all 2007 Tacoma's at the moment.

If you really want another mid-size truck you could always check out the **and everyone gasps loudly** Nissan Frontier. I test drove one before I got my Tacoma and I thought it was a pretty decent truck. It's somewhat of a gas hog and I wasn't too impressed with the interior (mainly the dash materials and general appearance) but other than that I thought it wasn't bad. It's definitely in your price range and you can also get leather and a moonroof in it which is nice.

If you look into full size trucks you can probably find a decently equipped Ford F-150 for that price range as well (can you say Rebates!!). Ignore what the price on the sticker says...check out your local rebates from Ford and than go haggle with the dealer- trust me, you can get them to come down A LOT on the price of F-150's right now and you can get 0% financing in many areas.

GM is getting ready to do 0% financing as well....although I think the price of a decently equipped Silverado is going to be a bit higher than your stated price range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts