Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MisterWC930
White TRD Sport DCLB
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Just wanted some input on how badly do I need to change these tires. I do mostly city driving and don't do any off-roading but go to Lake Tahoe often. I just need to be able to handle the snow but I don't want to lose any mpg. Thanks.

If you think for safety reasons that I absolutely need to change the tires, please recommend a tire for the 17 inch sport rims. (or should I do the FJ wheels and tires on a super white DC LB?? - desirable but slightly unaffordable route)

Thanks for the help guys.

·
TroY
07 Tacoma TRD Sport
121 Posts
i've only got 2000 miles on my 07, the bridgestone seem ok to me so far.. i know tire rack doesn't give these tires very good ratings.. but there are only 3 reviews.. 2 bad 1 good.. i'm in no hurry to change mine..they will probally only last 30K miles anyway. but if your looking to change I had Firestone Destination LE's put on my wife's 05 escape 2 years ago and they are awesome tires.. I had them on my explorer sport track as well.. the escape has 20,000 on the tires now and show hardly no wear.. great traction in rain and snow... my boss at work has them on his 4 runner and has over 40,000 miles on them and they still have alot of tread and perform well.. if you want a more agressive tire take a look at the Firestone Destination AT's.. they get really good reviews from tire rack and are supposed to be very quiet on the high-way. Firestone still has an image problem since the Ford Explorer deal.. Firestone tires seem to be alot cheaper due to this, but they make great tires, they cannot afford not too.. the LE's sell on tire rack for $119 plus shipping the AT's $132 plus shipping.. i took tireracks price to my local Firestone Dealer and they matched the price when i put them on the Escape and SportTrac.

Troy

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
the Dunlops on the Sport rims are horrible for me. Really really bad. In any wet conditions they slide and the ass comes out on me when going around corners while giving it gas. I have to be very careful on them. Just had to try them in the snow a few weeks ago and they were the worst i have ever felt. Thanfully i have 4wd. Otherwise i could hardly even get going from a stop.

Revo's will be my next tire when I get the money. They are highly recommended.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Dunlops or Dueler H/T's? Either one, well, try search for a laundry list of owner opinions.

As far as snow, neither are very good. Since you wont be running snowies, a good all-season that does well in winter would be B-stone Revo's or Goodyear Tripletreads. You may lose a couple tenths mpg, but you gotta weigh whats most important.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My stock tires sucked in snow. And I mean just enough to make the road white, not several inches. They were ok for low speed 4Hi driving on an unplowed dirt trail with enough snow for the skid plate to leave trails. The light dusting of snow on a paved road caused the thread to fill up and slide. Almost lost the truck going up a hill when it fish tailed and started sliding back and forth across the road. Hill going up on the left, steep hill going down the right. Had my daughter in the back so I almost had to change my pants. I managed to slide into someone's driveway, put it in 4Hi, and creep up the rest of the hill. VERY unnerving considering I bought the truck in the snow belt of NY at the end of February. :disappoin

I've switched to Kumho Roadventure AT's and haven't had a problem since. 20k on them now too. I have 285/75 r 16's, but I think they make 17's. Rated #5 of 19 on Tireracks AT light truck/SUV ranking survey.

C

·
0 Posts
05 Sport Stock Wheels

Just put in Revtek 3" w/AAL went down to an offroad shop...just informed me 16" wheels can't be put on as they don't clear the front brake calipers. Need to either put the 1/4" wheel spacer on to keep the stock wheels or get aftermarket 17"s with new tires. Anyone know if 16"s will clear the calipers - rather get 16"s if I have to go with aftermarket wheels.

New to TN but spent a few hours searching to find anyone saying anything about wheels clearing the brake calipers. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
CrossBones_05 said:
Just put in Revtek 3" w/AAL went down to an offroad shop...just informed me 16" wheels can't be put on as they don't clear the front brake calipers. Need to either put the 1/4" wheel spacer on to keep the stock wheels or get aftermarket 17"s with new tires. Anyone know if 16"s will clear the calipers - rather get 16"s if I have to go with aftermarket wheels.

New to TN but spent a few hours searching to find anyone saying anything about wheels clearing the brake calipers. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

First, Welcome!

Second, I'm running the stock 16's with 285 tires and they clear the calipers just fine. They rub the UCA slightly on tight turns, but that's it.

C

·
0 Posts
I thought this shop was off their rocker really...I knew some of the taco's off the lot came with 16"s. But you have an 06...is the disc brake a different size between 05 and 06?

·
Registered
118 Posts
There was a thread a week or so ago regarding the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires that come on some of the Tacomas, and how terrible they are.

I'll chime in again that Bridgestone A/T Revos transform the Tacoma's ride and handling by a factor of 10. They are so grippy that I rarely need to use 4wd in anything but the most slippery conditions.

I put them on when I had only 500 miles on the truck because I was so scared of the Dulrocks. I figured the $600 I spent was a worthwhile investment, and way cheaper than my insurance deductible!

On the TireRack.com survey, the Grandtrek's are rated #64 out of 65 tires, and they are considered "Highway All-Season".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

The Revos and Firestone Destination's are #4 and 3, respectively, and are considered "On/Off-Road All-Terrain".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a non trd DC PR. My neighbor has a 4wd DC with TRD Sport. His stock tires are highway tires. Mine are more knobby. But his truck rides better than mine. I don't go four wheeling. I stay on the roads and spend most of my driving time on the freeway. When I replace these tires I'm going with touring type tires like my neighbors TRD Sport.

When you go to Tahoe don't think 4wd will get you through the snow. Put on chains. I have seen too many 4wd vehicles end up in a snow bank because they thought all they needed was 4wd.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC
86 Posts
CrossBones_05 said:

I have eight rims and tires, Summers are on the Stock 17"s. Stock Tundra 16" steel wheels are on my truck for the winter (11 months and 14 days up here) and they clear the calipers just fine. I just have the black center caps with Toyota on the rims and they look OK. The dealer was concerned about clearance at first but there's a dozen or so Taco's running the Tundra's rims up here, I think mine was the test Taco.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Switching out the OE Bridgestone's on my '07 AC 4X4 TRD Sport to Michelin LTX/MS. Going from 265-65-17 to 265-70-17. The 65 is not available.
The Michelin is 1" taller, and may get a little rub at full turn, and may not. I do not off road, but get around some rough property at times.

I have had this tire on other trucks, and you will get 80K miles out of them with tread left, easy. This is the most perfect round tire that Michelin makes. Dealer cost is $110.00 each, if you can find someone to sell them to you at that price.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Hope you like the revos. In all honesty, my Dunlops have served me well so far. I commute on the GW Parkway in DC and it puddles a lot in the rain, and the Donlops in 4WD have performed well. In light snow and icy roads, same thing. I have 13,000 miles in one year, rotated twice, and had to mount the unused spare this week after I gashed one tire. A finger measurement of the tread shows only slight, yet even wear, compared to the unused one and it drives smooth as a whistle with the new tire in combination with the other three.

You've already changed them, but to other Dunlop owners, I would make your own decisions based on your own experience before changing them out. If you are a pavement commuter and do the basic preventative maintainence, I think your Dunlops could serve you for a while.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the B-Stones on my Taco. Took about 10 trips to Tahoe last winter, most of which were in the snow. The tires performed fine. The only thing I did was add 3 of the Quikrete Tube Sand bags in the bed. Also, carry chains, even if you have 4WD. If you don't have chains and get into a wreck, the CHP can cite your ass, after they pull you out of the ditch.

In my opinion, you need to drive the speed appropriate for the road conditions, even with 4WD. Too many people get a false sense of security with 4WD and drive faster than they should. These are the fools that pass you on the way up/down the mountain speeding, only to find their sorry ass in a ditch miles ahead. This is what the HP will tell you 9 times out of 10 they respond to an MVA in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Change is good....

Hey, I think I was the one mentioned earlier in this string who posted the OEM Dunlop Grandtrash AT20 string about a week or so ago.

Update on that. As I figured, and as others predicted, Toyota gave me the finger on replacing the Grandtreks ( 245/75-16's on the SR5 factory alloys ). But they offered to sell me some Dueler H/T's at cost. Nice guesture anyway. I did however buy a set of Dueler APT III's earlier this evening to replace the Dun-flops. I checked out several opinion sites, and they gave the APT III's decent enough marks, so I dropped about $ 600.00 on a set ( 265/70-16's ) Tire Rack didn't have a rating for the APT's, but did for the Revo's. Consumer Reports rated the APT's and Revo's about the same. I think the Revo does better in snow, the APT's a little less so, but maybe a bit better on pavement. For what it's worth, after about 50 miles, I can tell a HUGE difference in the way the truck drives. I can actually feel what's going on with the front tires now, it feels firmer, seems to track around corners a bit better, and the "flailing" sensation over crappy pavement seems to have subsided. There is a better feeling of control.
Only one evening on dry pavement, but there's a significant difference. There's probably going to be someone saying the APT III's suck, but from my perspective, there's enough of an improvement to justify dropping $ 600 for replacements at only 3600 miles.
I'll try to update again after a couple thousand miles on the APT III's. One thing, the APT's are just slightly more noisy, but it sounds like a truck now, and it's not at all annoying.

Next on the agenda..... Amsoil synthetic for the engine & rear diff, maybe a Borla muffler ( can't afford the whole damn exhaust ). Just need a little bit deep burble to drown out the slight knocking on moderate acceleration. 93 octane gas doesn't seem to be working. :jerkit:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
The Bridgestones are certainly better than the Dunlops. Most dealers in my area seem to sell them with Dunlops, but mine came with Bridgestones. The H/Ts are OK. I made it through last winter with them. But there are certainly better tires out there. IMO, buying a good set of tires is a worth while investment. It could save you from a wreck, or even save your life. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a TRDsport 2X4 and when you step into the throttle with nothing in the bed, the rear tires just spin and smoke- must be lousy tires:confused: . However the truck stops and turns just fine, which leads me to belive most of the problem comes down to a loose nut behind the wheel:hammer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts