Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean 130hp @ 6000rpm vs. 166 @ 6800rpm and 125lb @ 4200 rpm vs. 145lb @ 4000 rpm, doesn't mean a whole lot of actual performance gain compared to the price you have to pay for it so do you think it's worth it? Pros and Cons?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple things that is good about the supercharger is that fristly, unlike turbos there is no turbo lag. Secondly, its trd so therefore it will be covered under warranty.

·
Noob :-)
ST185 & MCV20
507 Posts
Sure it is $$$$.
But, it's bolt on.
It has Toyota quality.
It's designed with reliability in mind.
What else could you ask for?
The more power you extract from the engine, the less reliable it is.
So, TRD is willing to sacrifice some performance for logitivity.

By the way, torque is measured in "ft.lbs." not "lbs"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oops..you're right, torque is measured in ft.lbs (my bad). Yeah i agree with you that Toyota sacrifices performance for longevity, but is it truly worth (approx. $1100 cdn + installation cost) for 36 hp gain and 20 ft.lb torque gain or are there other alternatives that's equally as good (not including turbos here)?

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
you could do exhaust upgrades and fuel upgrades to up it some? ecu changes? FI cars respond better to the bolt ons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super Kaioken: Yeah i actually was thinking about doing some of those mods you have mentioned.

Hmm..i wonder if after the installation of the supercharger on my trix how would i stand against a xrs trix? XRS stats are 164hp @ 7600 and 125 ft.lb @ 4400rpm and my trix supercharged would be 166hp @ 6800 rpm and 144 ft.lb @ 4000rpm. I can see that i would generate greater hp and torque faster than the xrs but the 2zz-ge has 'lift' from their VVTL-i so therefore, i don't know which would be faster? Any thoughts?

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
well if its anything like Vtec......VVTL-i doesn't kick in till a certain RPM!? lol. you hear that VTEC VROOOOOOM.

Plus just do those mods man. You'll gain even greater HP. you don't stop at adding a supercharger. You add mods to it which will greatly increase HP and Torque complementary of the supercharger.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
no problem man. i am thinking about doing it too. But if i do, i gotta go all out. Exhaust, intake, fuel upgrades, air/fuel ratio modding. a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trixter said:
I mean 130hp @ 6000rpm vs. 166 @ 6800rpm and 125lb @ 4200 rpm vs. 145lb @ 4000 rpm, doesn't mean a whole lot of actual performance gain compared to the price you have to pay for it so do you think it's worth it? Pros and Cons?
:confused: Does the supercharger require the use of premium gas? Right now, there's a $0.30 a gallon price difference btween 87 and 92 octane where I live.

·
04 XR Manual 2WD
70 Posts
Superchargers and turbochargers always require high-octane fuel. They both stuff more air (and thus fuel) into the cylinder, thus creating higher pressure and temperature, and you need a high-octane fuel to avoid premature ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trixter said:
Super Kaioken: Yeah i actually was thinking about doing some of those mods you have mentioned.

Hmm..i wonder if after the installation of the supercharger on my trix how would i stand against a xrs trix? XRS stats are 164hp @ 7600 and 125 ft.lb @ 4400rpm and my trix supercharged would be 166hp @ 6800 rpm and 144 ft.lb @ 4000rpm. I can see that i would generate greater hp and torque faster than the xrs but the 2zz-ge has 'lift' from their VVTL-i so therefore, i don't know which would be faster? Any thoughts?
You'll have to do some more mods, but you'll eventually be able to hold off the XRS and beat it from the dig. A properly modded SC'ed 1ZZ will beat a I/H/E XRS in 0-60 and the quarter-mile. From a roll it may be tough without say a LSD/Flywheel/Clutch upgrade. I've taken the Corolla XRS with I/E from a the dig without launching hard due to tire spin. In the two major forums for the matrix/corolla we go back and forth on which car is better when in reality a XRS and SC'ed 1ZZ are two different animals.

www.matrixowners.com
'www.9thgen.com'

My Car
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/694320/1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.