Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 07 Double Cab LB and have a few questions concerning the air intake. I know that there are several 'Threads' concerning this, but I'm looking for a down and dirty straight forward answer.

In my past vehicles, I've always just installed a K&N filter and been done with it. However, this is the first vehicle in a while (since high school) that I'm proud to own and I'm looking to possible add a few extras but keeping in mind...bang for buck. I don't drive fast and I'm not going to be hauling anything that's really heavy. I'm mainly looking for MPG, but if I pick up some HP along the way...then that's OK too.

Questions::confused:

1. Cold Air Intake or Filter Replacement? Should I spend $225 to $325 for a CAI or $40 to $60 for just a filter replacement? (Bang for Buck)

2. TRD or K&N? Whether its a Cold Air Intake or filter replacement, which brand should I buy. The Toyota tested TRD or an aftermarket brand like K&N?

3. Do nothing? Should I just do nothing a be happy with the stock OEM equipment?

4. Any other suggestions on new truck owner mods?

BA

·
Registered
534 Posts
Between the K&N and TRD intake, I'm thinking the best bang for the buck is the K&N intake. It costs much less and I can't see the TRD creating a significant more HP than K&N just because of a little colder air. Put it this way, I don't really feel any HP difference with the K&N compared to stock.

Disadvantages of the K&N? It doesn't have a cover and it doesn't look as nice as the TRD.
If you plan to go mudding and off-roading a lot, the cover might be beneficial to you, however K&N does offer an additional filter wrap to keep out drops of water, mud, and large particles.

As for replacing the filter or installing a new intake, I don't know which would be more benefical for the money spent. To me, if you're going to spend the money, spend it on an intake system you like.

Bottom line is, you gotta be happy with what you get. If I had to do it over again, I think I might have gotten the TRD intake, just for the sake of it being TRD. However, I'm more than happy with my current set-up:)

Other suggestions? get a short shifter if yours is manual.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 2007
110 Posts
Chipper57 said:
K&N=hot air intake
TRD=cold air intake

so if you want a cold air intake you should get the trd unit.
not to ask a stupid question, as an intake will most likely be one of the first upgrades i'll get, how is it that k&n is hot air intake while TDR is the cold air intake??

·
Registered
6 Posts
pooperscooper said:
not to ask a stupid question, as an intake will most likely be one of the first upgrades i'll get, how is it that k&n is hot air intake while TDR is the cold air intake??
People are pissed, because K&N calls it a cold air intake, but air is pulled in from the engine compartment, as well as the standard (through the grill/wheel well). Engine air tends to be warmer than outside. Bottom line is any "cold air" system increases the air coming into the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.