Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 S that is kinda my "extra" car and the rear window tint was so old and decayed I could not even see through it. I was able to get it all stripped off with ammonia water and black plastic bags stuck on, using the suns heat to soak the film to soften it up and scraped off with a plastic scraper. Finished up with a razor blade on the stubborn areas. Did it without ruining the defogger lines.

After driving around sunny Arizona with no tint I decided I wanted it tinted, but thought it would cost 60 - 80 bucks to get it done at a shop. I ordered a $15 pre-cut tint film from Nexen. Watched videos and gave it a shot. You put the tint on the outside of the window temporarily and trim it and shrink it with a heat gun to get it to lay down on the curves.

It was harder than it looks. The heat shrinking did not go so well, I had some small creases and may have over heated it a bit on some edges. After deciding it was as good as I can get it, I peeled off the clear backing and sprayed it good with soapy water. Was able to get it into the car and in place. Lots of small bubbles were not able to be squeegeed out but many went away with a few days sitting out in the sun.

Its not great, but its good enough for my beater car. I definitely wont try it on my newer cars. I have new respect for those that are good at tinting.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,311 Posts
Nice attempt. This isn't something I'd try on the back window. Especially would be easier if the window was removed.

The side windows are easier to do if you remove it from the door. Tempted to try since mine is starting to shrink on the edges and are beginning to discolor.

Can you recommend a tint shop in the Phoenix area that won't install another layer on top of the tint that's on the window.

·
Registered
2008 Corolla S
773 Posts
I tinted all the windows in my 74 Cougar and it turned out "OK" but nothing spectacular. The little air bubbles drove me nuts just knowing they were there but I was probably the only one that noticed them lol. I no longer tint my own because I'd rather pay an expert to do it and have it done right. I paid the dealership to tint my Rav4 before I picked it up new and I will also pay the dealership to do my Corolla S 2008.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
580 Posts
Can you recommend a tint shop in the Phoenix area that won't install another layer on top of the tint that's on the window.
If a shop would even consider tinting over your old tint get out of there as fast as you can.

The OP described how to get the old tint off so doing that part is not bad and will save you some money.

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disagree. It looks incredibly hard, and I never recommend that anyone try it themselves.
I've noticed with any DIY video that the pro doing the demonstration makes it look easier that in turns out to be on your first try. I watched this video of how to apply stucco on a house and the guy tosses the mud around like its child's play, and when I tried it I was spilling the stuff and made a huge mess and wasted a lot of product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.