Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my dad bought a 1991 celica convertable with a 2.2L eingine. MANUAL TRANSMISSION. The tranny is in sad shape. So we tried the GM syncromesh fluid by penzoil and that fixed all issues for about a half hour, then it all went to hell in a hand bag agian.

this is the problem:
When you shift into neutral at a light and at a dead stop. the syncros lock you out of all gears, and you can't shift into first. There are only two ways to get into gear nicely without bending the syncros. 1.) turn off eingine, shift into 1st then restart eingine. 2.) rev eingine to about 2,2OO to get the gears to line up.
What can cause the problem?
the clutch- which is worn
the throw out bearing?

I'll have pictures of the car this weekend. It's sweet!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had somethin simultar it. It could b ur throw-out bearing,ur clutch could b going,and ur fly wheel could b messed up. I had my clutch blow i thought but i had simular problems. if the car was shut off i could put it in gear. best bet replace transmission and check the clutch and fly wheel.
I hope that is some help!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the whole transmission???????? What did you do?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, the gear boxes are known for that problem, BUT, its probobly your clutch. Its more then likely worn out and doesnt engage quite enough to open the synchros. The fact that you can rev up to let the gears engage says to me, clutch.

Get clutch plate, pressure plate and throw out bearing and have it all replaced. Get the clutch master and slaves and fluid checked as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a mechanic.... He says replace the clutch. I did bleed everything while it was there. I will be replacing that clutch in the spring. Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
2008 Corolla
269 Posts
We have the same year with 155k on it and it needed a clutch when I bought it 7k ago. That solved all our problems although they were not the same symptoms as yours.
Hope the clutch job works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts