Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just under my rig trying to get my grease gun to fit the zerks so I can lube my drive shaft. It doesn't seem to fit....I've also never attempted this before on any vehicle so I may be doing something wrong. It's a decent gun from advance auto cost about 17 bucks or so. Any help for the mechanically disabled would be great guys.

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
Never had that happen.... it's should to be a snug fit (especially with a new gun), did you give it a good strong push, maybe wiggle it side to side a bit as you push it on?

If you attached a pic, it's not there yet....

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
If you have never greased your zerks before there is most likely a fairly strong layer of dirt/road grime on each of your zerks that is preventing the grease from going in cleanly. Use some force to get the head of the gun onto the zerk and then wiggle the head a little to break up the gunk on the fitting. After that you should be able to get grease to go in the zerk. Keep pumping grease in until you start seeing some of the old grease come out from some of the seals throughout the joints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loosen the cap on the coupler a little so that you can get it on the zerks. The piece with the rough area on it in the pic can be adjusted

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
If you have never greased your zerks before there is most likely a fairly strong layer of dirt/road grime on each of your zerks that is preventing the grease from going in cleanly.
Wiping the zerk clean prior to greasing will prevent contamination from being forced into it.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took everyones advice and cleaned the zerk.....adjusted the attachment....and nothing. Is supposed to click/on and stay on when if fits properly or are you supposed to just hold it against the zerk? I tried just holding it to the zerk and grease went everywhere! I was pushing so hard against the zerk that my entire driveshaft was moving. This is really pissing me off.....a very simple thing and it's causing me strife! When the attachment is tight on the gun the middle portion will not give....so I loosened it but it didn't click on to the zerk. I was able to push it on but not sure what to do now. Thanks anyways guys

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Yes, the coupler is supposed to pop on to the zerk and stay on.
Is the grease gun new? When they're new, those couplers are a total b**ch to put on and take off, especially the cheap made-in-China ones. Wait until you get it on correctly... getting it off will be just as much fun! :headbang:
I wound up buying a better coupler for my grease gun. It's not perfect, but it's an improvement over the one that came with it.

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
If all else fails, have an experienced friend take a look, or run it by the parts store or an auto shop. Maybe the coupler is defective. It shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ummm.... my 2008 Tacoma Prerunner has grease zerks?? Where? My last few vehicles didn't have them. If so, how many and where. Sigh.

·
Registered
1miata1vette1toyota
84 Posts
I had an adapter for U joints made by Cal-van it had a narrow tip that fit into that space, unfortunatly someone borrowed it and it's now gone.

So what I did was grind the edge of the grease gun adapter to fit in better it is not as good but it works.

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Where are you at in VA? I have a grease gun in my garage and grease my zerks on a regular basis. If you're local, I can help you out and see what is up with your grease gun.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 tacomas I'm in Richmond but I've got a guy at work bringing me a different coupler for my gun. I'll try that and see if it works. I can't imaging that it won't but if it doesn't I'll have to look into picking up one of those adapters. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the help. I love this forum, best on the net!

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
Clean the zerk inside

Sometimes, when neglected, zerk fitting will clog, you can try to push the ball on the zerk with an awl or if it still have too much dirt inside, remove the zerk and clean it's inside and the passage where the zerk attaches, it has worked for me many times in the past and as a last resort replace the zerk with a new one.

Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
2 tacomas I'm in Richmond...
Good to see we have some VA boys on here! :clap: For a while I was beginning to think I was the only guy on the East Coast using TN

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sometimes, when neglected, zerk fitting will clog, you can try to push the ball on the zerk with an awl or if it still have too much dirt inside, remove the zerk and clean it's inside and the passage where the zerk attaches, it has worked for me many times in the past and as a last resort replace the zerk with a new one.

Good luck
what the heck would you remove the zerk with? Vise grips? They are threaded? Wow i had no idea. I was told today that i should use something to push that ball in and that may break it free of grime. Will be doing that later on today. If that doesn't work, where could i purchase new zerks? That is after i know how to safely remove the old ones.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts