Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have an 07 Tacoma Double cab and currently have the Trifecta folding cover by extang installed on it.

I am looking at the back-flip cover though(as I like the solid covers over the soft ones) but am hesitant to drop the money without getting some input on it.

I used to have the fold-a-cover on my old truck, and was not impressed, the rear lock broke and the rubber covers did not keep rain out so in the winter months it would freeze in place and I could not even open it.

How similar are the two units, I know the bakflip uses a cable, not a bar lock, is this better quality? no?

Is there a locking option? or can it not be opened if you tailgate is shut/locked?

Finally, most importantly, I saw an install video, and near as I can tell, it looks like it would block use of the rails that come factory in my Tacoma, even when folded open. is this true?

Thanks in advance

-Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Captainbarred,

I would also like input on Bakflip vs Fold-a-cover, hope some comments show up. Older posts talk about older models, would like info on current ones. Please let us know if you come up with anything, or make a choice.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. If I get motivated, I may run to the local truck shop and see if they have any on hand so I could see what they are like....

but they usually have limited stock...

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I used to have a BakFlip, and loved how it worked. In the end though, it only lasted a few months before falling apart despite my attempts to repair it.

Since then, it has been completely redesigned to solve the issues many of us had with the first generation ones:
  • solid prop rods instead of gas shocks (one of my died at some point)
  • better rubber joints at the seams
  • stronger frame
  • stronger rail system
Here's a few pics of the gen 1 on mine. Should look/work the same, just a few mechanical differences to make it work better and last longer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I put a BakFlip on our 05 base Tacoma in November. It does block use of the side rails, you can still barely keep the tie downs in the front rail and use them at times.

I installed the Toyota extra D rings w/ backing plates on the front sides of the bed as anchor points there in addition to the 2 D rings in the rear.

The rubber seals appear to be OK. There is no locking mechanism. We leave it down most of the time and it hasn't gone through a lot of up & down folding so can't speak to long term issues or the rear latch strength. We have a Pop & Lock on the tailgate so that's how the BakFlip is "secured" (neither one would deter anyone with even just a screwdriver if they want to get in).

It was not cheap but we like it more than my neighbor likes the soft rollup cover he put on his Tundra.

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
I've had it for a couple years now and am completely disappointed. I'm assuming that I have the gen 1 cover.

1. Rubber seals have become depressed and don't seal anymore.
2. Unlatching system came out of the cover rails.
3. Began to bow in the middle - not sure why other than potentially humidity. I think it's made of pressboard - not sure though...

The only highlight is the customer service at BAK. I took the cover off for a period of 6 months or so and misplaced the hardware to install. I called them up and they sent me the hardware free of charge - so that was nice. I have the cover installed on the truck currently for winter - but am planning on taking it off within the next few months.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I put a BakFlip on our 05 base Tacoma in November. It does block use of the side rails, you can still barely keep the tie downs in the front rail and use them at times.

I installed the Toyota extra D rings w/ backing plates on the front sides of the bed as anchor points there in addition to the 2 D rings in the rear.

The rubber seals appear to be OK. There is no locking mechanism. We leave it down most of the time and it hasn't gone through a lot of up & down folding so can't speak to long term issues or the rear latch strength. We have a Pop & Lock on the tailgate so that's how the BakFlip is "secured" (neither one would deter anyone with even just a screwdriver if they want to get in).

It was not cheap but we like it more than my neighbor likes the soft rollup cover he put on his Tundra.
I don't use the tie down rails even now that I have access to them. The whole system is too weak to secure cargo, IMO.

Thus the reason I did this:

I've had it for a couple years now and am completely disappointed. I'm assuming that I have the gen 1 cover.

1. Rubber seals have become depressed and don't seal anymore.
2. Unlatching system came out of the cover rails.
3. Began to bow in the middle - not sure why other than potentially humidity. I think it's made of pressboard - not sure though...

The only highlight is the customer service at BAK. I took the cover off for a period of 6 months or so and misplaced the hardware to install. I called them up and they sent me the hardware free of charge - so that was nice. I have the cover installed on the truck currently for winter - but am planning on taking it off within the next few months.
Call Bak! They offered to replace my gen 1 for free!

On a side note, go to Bak's site and watch the new video. The guy working it actually SITS on it while it's folded up in 3 layers. Also, the new ones have a foam core instead of the cardboard used in the gen 1's (think about the card board used in between layers of batteries on a pallet at Sam's or Costco).

·
Tennessee
2006 Doublecab 4X4
145 Posts
I got a bakflip (1st generation) after piercedtiger got his. Had it for over 1 1/2 years or more and I loved the way it worked, but started having all the issues mentioned by some of the others: weatherstrips coming unglued, panels bowing, lock cable covers coming off, etc. I really wasn't too impressed with it.
During Christmas, I was searching for a similar cover on another forum and came across the thread piercedtiger mentioned and bak replaced my old cover, which I had had for about 1 1/2 years or more, with the a 2nd generation cover. The new cover works pretty much the same as the old type but the problems areas have all been addressed by bak and the 2nd generation cover has a lot better quality than the old one. The folding panels are thicker, frames for panels are heavier duty, no double sided tape, all cable covers are rivited on, weather stripping is in a tongue and groove slot, has locking rods instead of struts. To me the new cover is 100% better than the old design. I've only had mine on for a couple of months now, but am satisfied so far. Baks customer service was great and I really like the changes in the new tonneau.
You will loose the use of your rail system, but I never used it to tie anything down with any way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Bak Flip on my double cab - short bed 08. It works very well and I have no complaints. It does use the tie down rails for mounting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it easy to stow the BakFlip & regain use of the rails? I don't want to give up being able to haul in open bed, when needed, with tie-downs.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Is it easy to stow the BakFlip & regain use of the rails? I don't want to give up being able to haul in open bed, when needed, with tie-downs.
no. The whole cover and rails have to come off. It would be a pain in the ass as you have to line it up before tightening the rails.

You're honestly better off adding more D-Rings than using the tie down rails. I added 4 to mine using the bed bolts. Those suckers aren't coming out! :lol: Meanwhile, people have snapped the plastic cleats, and I personally saw my rails twist just trying to ratchet down some furniture using the cleats. I ordered extra D-rings that week and installed them as soon as they came in.

I did a write up under "alternative to toyota d-rings" or something like that. Even where I got them. I think the whole think cost me less than $20 including the Torx bit I had to get to remove the bed bolts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
How quick was Bak at offering the Gen 2 for the Gen1. I have a Gen one and like others mine is falling apart. I tried to email Bak and recieved no answer. I read some threads over at TS and users there were pro-rated replacement for a new one. It seems it's hit or miss if they will indeed do a one for one swap. Did you have to pay shipping? Did you have to send the old one back?

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the input!!!

I hate losing the rails, but I agree, they don't look overly strong. They worked fine for securing a couple kyaks, but aside from that I have not used them.

I am thinking I will get 2 more d rings for the front bolts and that should suit my meager needs.

thanks again, as the problems have been fixed with the gen 2 cover.. its very tempting...

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but I found the post the owner of Bak put on TS. (someone copied it into a post on tacomaworld) The owner put HIS email in the post so I emailed him more or less congratulating him on the redesign, and how it solved all the issues I had. I even mentioned I had since replaced it with a Bestop. He forwarded my email to someone at the office that replied to me about the replacement. I haven't heard back from them though after giving my mailing address and approximate purchase date.

So I'd call or email the owner if you can find that post on TS again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've seen that same email. I guess it's going to be one of those hit or miss things. I'll just tell them I can't justifying spending more money on the upgraded version when the original was crap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the description of the redesign fits well with what I've seen on ours... pretty sturdy appearing/feeling, compared to the descriptions of Gen. 1

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
checkout the website www.foldacover.com They have bed rail access (at least when open) as they only mount in one spot to the rail system, then a set of tabs at either end of the bed I believe. The lock the tailgate when closed and can be removed completely.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
checkout the website www.foldacover.com They have bed rail access (at least when open) as they only mount in one spot to the rail system, then a set of tabs at either end of the bed I believe. The lock the tailgate when closed and can be removed completely.
You are correct. I had one on my GMC Canyon and while I loved the hard folding cover, I will not get one again.

The locks were on top so snow and rain and ice got in making it impossible to unlock without a blow torch to melt it, the rear lock broke, and it cannot be completely removed without removing four bolts so you don't have access to 100% of the bed.

I believe the new ones for the new tacos has room to access the rails as it sits on top(not flush with) the side gates....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts