Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My truck has been parked on an incline (my driveway, about 20 - 30 degree grade), with the nose uphill for a couple weeks. The tank is around 1/4 full. The truck won't turn over.

I suspect that the fuel pump isn't getting any fuel from the gas tank due to the incline and level of fuel. Is this possible or might I have a more serious problem?

I'm asking before I run back and forth to the gas station several times to get 2 gallons of gas at a time in the truck.

Thanks for any help,
Matt

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Why not drift it down to a level spot and see if it starts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, but there is nowhere to go "down". Down is into my garage which is too full of stuff to fully fit the truck. If it doesn't start, I'll be stuck with a garage I can't close.

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Gotcha.
You could try pouring a little gas into the throat of the carb, and into the bowl (via the overflow tube) and then see if it starts.

That way you'll know it's getting a little gas and should start and run a few seconds, assuming there are no other problems.

·
Corona is gone.
863 Posts
Pour in another 5 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey fourwd1 and 79corona,

I did what you both recommended. First, I added 2 gallons to the tank. Then, I tested the fuel lines and filter. It was dry between the fuel pump and carb. The float bowl was empty. I tested the needle valve and float mechanism. I filled up the float bowl and put everything back together. It started quickly and kept running.

Parking on the incline must have drained the float bowl. And the fuel pump wouldn't pump more fuel without a jump start from the running engine. Now it's running as well as it ever did :)

-Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the truck sat for four days, I again had the starting problem. The float bowl was empty. I added some more gas to it and got it started again. The idle is pretty rough though. It fluctuates between 500 and 750. It feels like the engine is missing combustion here and there. Once the engine is up above 1500 rpm, the engine sounds and runs fine. Fuel starvation? Problem with the idle circuit?

Right now, the truck has an aftermarket Weber carb. I can't match the carb with any schematic on the web, so I'm reluctant to make any adjustments to it.

I have a 22r carb that I just started rebuilding. I'm guessing the problem is with the Weber carb and that the correct carb - properly adjusted - will fix this issue. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on carb rebuilds here so I'll get searching.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey fourwd1 and 79corona,

I did what you both recommended. First, I added 2 gallons to the tank. Then, I tested the fuel lines and filter. It was dry between the fuel pump and carb. The float bowl was empty. I tested the needle valve and float mechanism. I filled up the float bowl and put everything back together. It started quickly and kept running.

Parking on the incline must have drained the float bowl. And the fuel pump wouldn't pump more fuel without a jump start from the running engine. Now it's running as well as it ever did :)

-Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 86 EFI dully flatbed does the exact same thing , becareful if u go to the store and park ur turck in a slight up hill it will not start and u will have to push start it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read that Weber carbs are very finicky with mechanical fuel pumps. Most convert to electric with a pressure gauge. I was about to convert to a Weber 32/36, but found out they are not legal in California. There should be an idle adjustment on the Weber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read that Weber carbs are very finicky with mechanical fuel pumps. Most convert to electric with a pressure gauge. I was about to convert to a Weber 32/36, but found out they are not legal in California. There should be an idle adjustment on the Weber.
do u think my 86 EFI dully was converted to EFI?

·
Registered
379 Posts
do u think my 86 EFI dully was converted to EFI?
If the ID plate shows a 22RE engine, then your truck came from the factory with fuel injection. In any case, since you now have EFI, your problem is clearly unrelated to mechanical fuel pumps and carburetors. My first suspicion would be an ignition problem. Make sure your spark plugs look good, and next time you have trouble starting, check for spark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts