Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the volant and the TRD the only two true cold air intakes with the isolation box? They're the only two I can find. The other ones like K&N and AirRaid are crap as they just suck engine compartment air. Dunno how they even get away with calling them cold air intakes.

I'm probably going to get the Volant as I can get one off ebay for about $286 shipped and the best price I can find for the TRD one is $345 + unknown shipping (prolly at least $10).
So I can save at least $60-70 by getting the Volant and I bet they perform about the same.

Thanks for the advice guys.

· Registered
335 Posts
The volant also has a hole in the engine compartment for hot air to be sucked in.

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check out that AFE, interesting. Yea I read someone's thread about the Volant and the hole in the box. Seems to be some sort of ram air attachment option??? Also seems to be a part number for a plug for it. (shrugs) With all these unanswered questions I think I'll pass on the Volant.

What's the deal with the rumored URD cai? Back in early novemeber folks on this forum were talking about it's release being near but now no talk of it at all. Anyone know anything about it?

· ENUFSEDTOY
2010 TACOMA 4DR
56 Posts
well i had the volant intake and i had to return it , for one it was missing pieces and the box was completely sealed. next the fitment was one of the worse i seen, the box holes were off a 1/2 inch the intake tube was to long and had to be trimmed and finally the silicone connecting tube were 3.75 inches and should have been 2.5 inches,, and one last final note when installing they want u to use self tapping screws for the air flow meter which is easy and the last step after installed but they for get to tell u they go into the intake tube along with all the shaving ,,,

so i went with good old K&N .for one the fitment was perfect and all hardware was there which is a hugh plus... well yes its not a sealed box like trd,volant but it does seal the top of the hood,and the other sides do seal somewhat against the fender and washer tank,over all i am pleased with it ...

the ? is this we are worried about a closed box or open for heat,but what about the intake that sits on the top of the motor i am sure when the cold air does come into that it mixes and doesnt stay cool and what about when driving i am sure cool are is entering the hood area like a wind tunnel making it cool air.back in the day all those cars had open air cleaners that sat on top of the carb and did fine so i am sure a k&N being a little open would be just fine ,i think the trd and volant are good for off roading and good for keeping dirt and water off the filter but i am totally happy with my k&N and it did what i exspected it to do...,,

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK WTF. I'm sick of finding such conflicting info on these intakes.

I'm certain of a few things:

1) I DON'T want a K&N or AirRaid. They are practically wide open in the engine compartment and suck any air available.
2) I know practically nothing about the Spectre or Street Performance so I'm not really consdiering them
3) The AFE and TRD are practically identical and allegedly AFE manufactures the TRD intake
4) There are CONFLICTING photos out there of the AFE installed in various trucks - let me show you...

AFE on TTORA (note the HOLE vent in the bottom)

This is supposed to be the same AFE intake but a pic posted on this forum (note NO hole)

What the hell is with this??? Also if you look at AFE photos on some of the retailer's websites you get a picture of some AFE intake (who knows what truck it's in and what version you're looking at) that doesn't even have a box at all, just a shroud around it. So the question I have is how the fuck do you know what you'd get when you order one....

Right now I'm leaning towards the AFE and TRD. IF you can get the AFE pictured directly above looks like you're getting practically the same exact thing as the TRD albeit no TRD badging. I'm down with that. Just too many questions...

FRUSTRATING!

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone talked about that little plug in another thread. Posts #20 and #22
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163664&page=2
My opinion after talking to some other gear heads on #cars on efnet is that it's probably meant to route from the front of the car grille or other optimal location for front air intake. Who knows for sure though - as with everything else on these intakes it's just another question mark.

I still want to know WTF is up with the different AFE's out there.

All this bullshit makes me want to just drop the extra cash on the TRD and be done with it.

· Registered
536 Posts
Personally, I can't see how much difference a cover can make in perfomance:rolleyes:
But hey, if it's peace of mind your after, to each his own:thumbup:

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL.

See what I mean. Some have plugs on the volant, some don't. Some of the AFE's have vents - others don't.

Seems like the only thing consistent here is inconsistency. Rather annoying.

HUTCHSTACo said:
my volant has a plug

· ENUFSEDTOY
2010 TACOMA 4DR
56 Posts
lol and the debate goes on,,,now wouldn't the afe be sucking in the hot air as well on both models the one against the fender and the other one in the front getting in hot air as well ?the volant i had had a plug on it but the unit set up was constructed like junk but others peoples were fine...i think the main thing is with k&n is they wanted to build a unit tha was not to expensive so instead of a top they us the hood to seel it closed and built the box as tight as they could to seel the hot air out the best they could,SO TO SOLVE THIS HUGH DEBATE HOW ABOUT SOMEONE DRIVE FOR 20 MIN OR SO AT 50 PLUS MPH WITH THE K&N UNIT WITH A TEMP SENSOR ON FILTER AND THE SAME WITH VOLANT AND AFE UNITS TO SOLVE THIS ,MIGHT BE THE ONLY REAL PROOF WE HAVE IF WE ARE GETTING HOT OR COLD AIR WITH EACH SETUP!!

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think the AFE pictured on the speedway blue above would suck any hot air. It seems it's practically identical to the TRD - which as far as i can tell - also does not suck any hot air. Yea, it's a minor nitpick but if you want one with a nice air box, why have a big hole in it?

· Registered
134 Posts
Just my opinion but after installing CAI's on several high performance sports cars, I realize that they are simply not worth the hassle. First off your warranty is completely worthless after modding any engine with a CAI. Unless you are also installing additional components such as a Chip, Turbo, Catback etc. a CAI is worth AT BEST 5 lousy HP. I did get much better throttle response on my S2000 with a CAI but considering all the headaches, cost, loss of warranty etc it sure wasn't worth it! I love some of these Dyno charts "documenting" 15-20 HP increases! C'MON!
A lousy air filter modification is going to give you 20 HP !!!

· Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just going to save up the money and get the TRD intake. I think it's the best and for me having all Toyota parts is worth it. I think once some more time passes and it's been out for a while we'll start to see more of them listed on ebay and at more competitive prices. perhaps no more than $300 at least.

Oh, has anyone heard anything more about the URD?

· "Tanoma"
2005 Tacoma
252 Posts
OK here's my 2 cents. This are just my views and what I experianced.

Yeah the only 3 that I've seen from reputable brands that claim there a closed system intake are TRD, AFE and Volant. I've had all three so here's what I know form owning them. No manufactures mubo jumbo.

The Volant intake is backed by a great company and name ofcourse but they missed the mark on the kit for the 05+Tacoma. My fitment was awful as previosly mentioned in this thread and I was missing attachment fittings for the breather hoses. Also the smaller hose that comes with the kit was about 6 inches to short. I figured it would just be easier to go but the parts needed at at a automotive store so I did BUT the end product still had real bad fitment. There were "unnatural" bends in the intake tube and there was some onther problem with the black air box that houses the air filter as well. Just can't remember exactly what it was. Also since the Volant air fiter acts as a seal for the air box some after market/ other manufacturers filters will not seal well. Oh yeah and this was the worst. There is about a 2" gap between the fender where the air comes in and where the air goes into the intake. Nuff about Volant and on to AFE.

The AFE kit is much nicer then the Volant in my opinion. The fitment is dead on like a glove but the main draw back is IT'S NOT A FULLY SEALED KIT either. The metal air box that houses the filter only has three sides. The side that's next to the fender opening where the air comes in is open so there is once again there's even a bigger gap to suck in engine air then the Volant. I even posted a thread on here about this intake vs stock dealing with the air temp. I got the differences from my Scanguage II. One thing many may not like is this kit is metal so some say it attracts heat more then plastic which is proabaly true but at the speed the air is going through it it can't possibly heat it up much if at all. Also this kit can use any 4" opening diameter air filter if you chooose to replace the AFE since it just clamps on the tube inside the airbox and does not actually create a seal. Oh yeah one other problem. When you floor it and get to around 4000 rpm this kit vibrates like crazy and sounds like it's rattling. I didn't keep it long enogh to try to fix the noise but I'm pretty sure it comes from the metal silver cover on top of the black airbox. One more thing AFEs customer service is awesome. Very quick replies to emails and even gave me replacement parts with no questions asked.

Now the TRD I believe even takes the AFE kit a step further. The fitment is perfect, everything is include for correct installation and this kit is completly sealed and seals up to the hole in the fender where your air comes in. The kit is also plastic, I mention this for the people I previously mentioned that like plastic kits. Even some little things are thought of like on the AFE kit the last step of installtion is to replace your engine cover but you can only secure it with the right screw and nut becuse the AFE doesn't allow you option of using the left mounting point. The cover is very flimsey this way. No bid deal but the TRD intake kit gives you both mounting points for a secure cover. Just little things like that means they've though this kit through. Also you can use any 5.5 inch opening airfilter if you decide to ditch the TRD cotton guaze. Hope this helps. The worst thing I have to say about this kit is it's price.

· 07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
SlaveToTheNeedl said:
Just my opinion but after installing CAI's on several high performance sports cars, I realize that they are simply not worth the hassle. First off your warranty is completely worthless after modding any engine with a CAI. Unless you are also installing additional components such as a Chip, Turbo, Catback etc. a CAI is worth AT BEST 5 lousy HP. I did get much better throttle response on my S2000 with a CAI but considering all the headaches, cost, loss of warranty etc it sure wasn't worth it! I love some of these Dyno charts "documenting" 15-20 HP increases! C'MON!
A lousy air filter modification is going to give you 20 HP !!!
Now i could be wrong but according to the TRD website http://www.trdusa.com/partscatalog.cfm?subcategory=18

The CAI works with existing ECU, emissions system and MAF sensor so warranty shouldn't be an issue, besides why would TRD make one if it were? The only thing I would be concerned about is making sure that the dealership is the one who installs it otherwise they may try and screw you on any warranty issue. And that goes for pretty much any MOD you make as far as I am aware.

You make a great point on the HP issue, and is a concern for me. Do these CAI's really work that well to justify the cost for one? I'll wait to see what others are saying about theirs.

What about a SuperCharger? Does TRD make one for 05+ Tacos? The TRD website seems like it is not complete and does not allow you to chose a particular vehicle for each part. Anybody know about that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.