Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a custom true dual exhaust on their Gen 6 V6? I’ve searched and can’t find anything.

Looking at the stock exhaust it has some ridiculous u bend in it robbing hp. ALSO the exhaust is not a true dual exhaust, as the front and rear headers funnel into one pipe.

I am thinking about getting an exhaust shop to quote me on a true dual exhaust, front to back. As I’m sure it would cost around the same as the Borla axel back and actually free up some hp.

Thoughts?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If you search waaay back you will find that the ridiculous bend is there to balance back pressure. The engine runs less than optimally without that ridiculous bend. The dual system has been covered before, and again, equal back pressure helps power and emissions. Much more power and it would trash the transmission. My 2GR can get to 85 in the length of an on ramp, and yes, the governor tops out at about 145. My only gripe would be with the electronic accelerator which has a little lag in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But in my searches I also read that people found the car had more power once they had a Y pipe installed instead of the U. No before and after dynos of course. And why does the IS350 not have a U?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,351 Posts
To get a true dual set up you will likely have to fabricate it yourself. All I ever see available is 2 into 1 into 2 set ups, which we know are not true duals. Even if you manage to get equal length headers and pipes, I really doubt the cost will ever be worth the actual gain in power. Remember this is just one mans opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the TRD dual exhaust. There is no big power gain. It's all psychological. Its louder and deeper tone so it looks like you have more power.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ctures-trd-exhaust-gen-6-v6-camry-thread.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...-official-trd-exhaust-gen-6-camry-thread.html
I'm talking a true dual exhaust. Where there would be two pipes running underneath the car. Each header would have its own exhaust pipe all the way to the rear of the vehicle.

To get a true dual set up you will likely have to fabricate it yourself. All I ever see available is 2 into 1 into 2 set ups, which we know are not true duals. Even if you manage to get equal length headers and pipes, I really doubt the cost will ever be worth the actual gain in power. Remember this is just one mans opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
A custom true dual exhaust would probably cost about the same as the Borla or TRD except you might actually see a few extra ponies.

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
Like on a Harley….. Two mufflers, but there is a crossover pipe in the headers that connects both cylinder exhaust ports. Go figure!

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
I'm talking a true dual exhaust. Where there would be two pipes running underneath the car. Each header would have its own exhaust pipe all the way to the rear of the vehicle.

A custom true dual exhaust would probably cost about the same as the Borla or TRD except you might actually see a few extra ponies.
My bad. I thought "true" was TRD hence my links.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.