Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member.
I have a line on a guy claiming to have a 01 SLE with a manual that I'll be checking out later today (pictures show TRD items).
I am not new to Solara's but new to TRD Solara's.
Is there a way from the VIN or door tag to tell if its a true TRD package car (if that's even a thing?) or where these all dealer add ons that a person could pick and chose from to add to any SLE (or both)?
From the pictures it has the SC, short throw shifter, strut brace, lowering springs, lower boby kit & exhaust. Theres no TRD rims or the front fender tag that I see from google image searches.
Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
8,090 Posts
The big stick here is the supercharger. It's the ubiquitous Eaton Roots-type blower used atop production engines ranging from the Mercedes SLK230's 2.3-liter four through the Buick Park Avenue Ultra's 3.8-liter V-6 and the Ford SVT Lightning's 5.4-liter V-8. TRD uses the 62-cubic-inch version of the Eaton (the same unit used on early supercharged Buick V-6s) in the system it co-developed with Magnuson Products of Ventura, California, for the 3.0-liter Toyota V-6. The blower is driven by an extension of the existing accessory drive belt at two times engine speed to produce a peak 4.5 pounds of boost. TRD adds electronic boost control to modulate boost levels between shifts and to avoid detonation as the engine approaches its rev limiter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course, if it does NOT have supercharger.... it's fake TRD.
Thanks, I did read that car & driver article, and the car does have the supercharger, as far as I can tell its just missing the rims and fender tag. But do you know how to tell if its a true TRD package car from the factory?

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
A true TRD Solara was the 1999 Solara SE V6 5MT Long Beach Grand Prix edition of which there were 35 of them, sold only in the Southern California dealers, that came with the wheels and bodykit (or spoiler), but no supercharger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts