Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I've been looking into lifts, wheels, and tires.
I stopped by a local offroad shop and noticed a truck that looked pretty sweet parked in front so I inquired about it. The shop owner said he had done a lift, tire and wheel package for the lady that owned the truck. I noticed that the tires were Maxxis Bighorns. It struck me cause I have used Maxxis MTB tires and seen plenty of advertising for Maxxis in MTB mags. I knew they made auto tires too, but that was the first time I can recollect actually seeing a set on a 4x4.
With the cost of shipping pretty outrageous here in the middle of the ocean you see a lot of BFGs from Costco. I would guess about 60% of the trucks run 'em here on the Big Island.
Getting back to the point: So I asked the Owner of the shop how much the Maxxis (285-75-16) were." $260 each", he said.
Of course we're gonna get around to the obvious: why not BFGs? He told me that Tacos, with their sensitive handling, are prone to shimmying of the steering if the tires are not truly round. He said the BFGs were not spec'd as tightly as the Maxxis. He had trouble with Taco trucks' steering wheel shaking when over 50-55 mph.
This guy also does all the lifts for the local Toyota dealer (they have about three or four lifted, brand new trucks on the lot) and said if he lifts it, the Toyota warranty will still be good. ( I imagine that may only be true for the warranty at the local dealer, gotta ask) For that reason he only uses Toytec. (Why Toytec if TRDs have Bilsteins? Didn't think to ask.) If the warranty issue is correct , I may have him do the lift.
I have a lowered 98 I got about 7 years ago and just bought my 4x4 in Feb. I haven't much experience with lifts and 4x4 equipment. My 98 is for sale. For these reasons I find myself jumping over from customtacos.com to get advice.

Uhhhh....Advice, anyone??
Thanks much in advance.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I run BFG KM2s no problem, I had shimmying when it was first installed because I tried using stock wheels with spacers. No go for me. Bought some aftermarket wheels and the truck drives like a champ, no shimmy now. That's my experience.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Find what you like and run them on your truck and don't pay for shipping. I am running Toyo Open Country AT's = Nitto Grapplers (same company). They are on stock stealies and no shimming or steering wheel play.

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
Those BFG's are probably the most widely used tire on the Tacoma forums. I have a feeling the guy is trying to sell you the product on which he makes the most money. This is not to say there's anything wrong with Maxxis tires, just an observation.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
I'm running Maxxis now, the guy at the tire shop gave me the same crap about it being the only 'truly round tire'. I run them strictly street no off-road, I prefer them to my Michelin Cross Terrains which screamed out around every corner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never been too impressed w/ BFG tires. They spend all of their money on advertising rather then building really good tires. 99% of people who run all terrains/mud terrains never leave the pavement and don't realize that BFGs don't hold up well if used hard. Everyone runs them because they are a little cheaper and/or people fall for brand recognition.

I currently run a set of Hankook RT01s that I have had for years and are both awesome off-road as well as super quiet on-road for an MT. I have no experience w/ Maxxis but I would take pretty much any top tier manufacturer over the BG Goodrich.

Usually balance/vibration problems are due to imperfections in the molding that every tire is not cast perfectly balanced. Same goes for any rim. A good tire shop can tell when they spin them up which tires to put on which rim and how to align them so that they balance with a minimum of weight. This problem is exaggerated as you get larger and larger tires as the amount of rubber is increased. Some shops have a machine that will spin up a tire and machine off a portion of the tread to make it more "round".

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I have never been too impressed w/ BFG tires. They spend all of their money on advertising rather then building really good tires. 99% of people who run all terrains/mud terrains never leave the pavement and don't realize that BFGs don't hold up well if used hard. Everyone runs them because they are a little cheaper and/or people fall for brand recognition.

I currently run a set of Hankook RT01s that I have had for years and are both awesome off-road as well as super quiet on-road for an MT. I have no experience w/ Maxxis but I would take pretty much any top tier manufacturer over the BG Goodrich.

Usually balance/vibration problems are due to imperfections in the molding that every tire is not cast perfectly balanced. Same goes for any rim. A good tire shop can tell when they spin them up which tires to put on which rim and how to align them so that they balance with a minimum of weight. This problem is exaggerated as you get larger and larger tires as the amount of rubber is increased. Some shops have a machine that will spin up a tire and machine off a portion of the tread to make it more "round".
the classic BFG MT is the only tire listed in the 10 most influential products to the offroad community. To say that they spend all their money on advertising is outrageous. They took an already outstanding product in the Classic MT and made it 10x better with the new KM2. Heres some extra information: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...true&cf=false&rd=17&sw=false&rc=AZWINT&cs=285

Your Hankook tires are in one way or another based roughly of the innovative design of the Classic BFG MT.

Being a DTC employee i can tell you from an expert opinion that what you are saying is down right funny. It is very rare for two tires to be so different that a tech can tell the difference between them. As far as machining any part of the tire off.......doesn't happen. You may be thinking of tire siping which is when a tire has more grooves cut into the surface for extra wet traction.

In doing research for this reply I semi forgot your question jimirich (sorry) but both the maxxis and BFG tires will be top of the line. They are both leaders in the industry which can be seen at any professional rock crawling event. The BFG is probably a more innovative tire because it is so new but i am sure maxxis will be soon to follow but as far as the "truly round stuff, Thats bulls shit to be honest. All in all it comes down to how ever much you are willing to spend on a set of tires Maxxis will be a little more expensive than BFG. I personally spend a ratio of 75% on road and 25% off and the KM2 has done beyond my expectations in both situations.

As far as lifting your truck through the dealer, yes it will keep your warranty but they will charge you up the ass for install, I would know it happened to me. I had the same idea as you, "If they do it they cannot say the lift caused it." Well $1000 later i had a shitty spacer lift installed and to top it off it wasn't even what i paid for. (bought revtek was given daystar :thumbsdow) my new lift is 10x better quality wise (Toytec C/O. AAL and 5125) and i spent $1200 total for parts and labor. My advise, do what you want the first time and don't worry about warranty issues.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all for your replies. I talked today to a guy who works for Lex Brodies and he pretty much echoed Oakley TRD in that the BFG's are solid tires. Especially the KM2s. I'll probably get my own wheels and tires mounted and then get the shop to do the "warranteed" lift.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies. I talked today to a guy who works for Lex Brodies and he pretty much echoed Oakley TRD in that the BFG's are solid tires. Especially the KM2s. I'll probably get my own wheels and tires mounted and then get the shop to do the "warranteed" lift.
Love my KM2's, pretty damn smooth on the highway too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts