Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well let me first tell you about my problems, and then ask a question. When I bought my Lexus I saw that the previous owner at some time had loaded up the trunk, and then stupidly tried to close it bending something, but something is something I can't figure out. The Trunk sits about an inch or two above the normal sealed flush position to the rear quarters. What is causing this bend? I know that some Lexus owners have time and time again installed new hinges, yet to no avail been able to fix them. Is this a Toyota thing? I look at the hinges, and notice nothing irregular from side to side. What can I do to remedy this? I do have a friend that has an ES at his junk yard, and might just try to put new ( To ME) hinges to see if thats the problem. It's letting water into the trunk and I don't like that. Any help will be appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Bart

·
Not so Noob now!
565 Posts
I have the same problem with my hinges. The trunk sits about 1/2" above the body line at the back window. It would appear the hinge bushings wear and get sloppy allowing the back of the trunk to sit high. I've considered making some sort of bracket/catch that hooks under the rear lip of the trunk comparment when the trunk is closed pulling the trunk itself down. If I ever get around to it I'll try to post some pics / diagrams.

The other thought I had was to steal the hinge system out of one of the camrys and use that. The Lexus design was made so the hinges didn't intrude into your trunk space, but with the size/space restrictions the result seems to be flimsier hinges.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts