Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trunk struts (manual not electric) seem to be going bad. They don’t raise the hatch all the way up. Rather they stop halfway, requiring me to help it get up to fully open position. The struts have enough strength to hold it up with no problem, just getting fully open is the issue. What part numbers would I need for the two struts and do I need to replace the mounting brackets as well because the actual strut itself looks stuck in the bracket. My vehicle is a 2008 Highlander base.

·
Registered
09 V6 Highlander AWD , 15 Corolla LE
266 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
there a zillion vidoes, I just picked one, I don't understand why there are issues with it..
My 2008 is also the pressed on ball joints, I had to cut the strut cup and reused the mount. So not that simple, actually my other car (Nissan 300zx) also had the pressed on joint, that was a RPIA to replace.
Install was a breeze and fornext time too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There was a change in the design for the strut. The cars from 2008-2009 have struts thare are NOT removeable without cutting. Struts from 2010 have the newer design that can be easily removed.
I have never seen in the 50 years I have done work on my cars and trucks where there is only one solution to a repair. If in the future I wind up needing to replace the struts on ours, I'll give it a go on what I originally suggested, take a video and post it on this thread.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The reality is you do have to cut them off. Had to do it on my 2002 Highlander and 2008 RX350, but not on my 2014 RX as it was a NA-made model. Models made in Japan do not have the quick release clips. That’s why 2010+ Highlanders have the easy clips, most of them are not MFR in Japan anymore.

This kind of triangle cut into the strut yielded the quickest and most effective results for me. Unless there’s a pick out there that is small yet strong enough to get that little ring out

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

1 - 20 of 34 Posts