Toyota Nation Forum banner

Trunk Strut Replacement

3K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  NyCadium 
#1 ·
My trunk struts (manual not electric) seem to be going bad. They don’t raise the hatch all the way up. Rather they stop halfway, requiring me to help it get up to fully open position. The struts have enough strength to hold it up with no problem, just getting fully open is the issue. What part numbers would I need for the two struts and do I need to replace the mounting brackets as well because the actual strut itself looks stuck in the bracket. My vehicle is a 2008 Highlander base.

#20 ·
The reality is you do have to cut them off. Had to do it on my 2002 Highlander and 2008 RX350, but not on my 2014 RX as it was a NA-made model. Models made in Japan do not have the quick release clips. That’s why 2010+ Highlanders have the easy clips, most of them are not MFR in Japan anymore.

This kind of triangle cut into the strut yielded the quickest and most effective results for me. Unless there’s a pick out there that is small yet strong enough to get that little ring out

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

#21 · (Edited)
If you want to save money. Try this first. Wipe the metal shaft with a rag. Then get some motor oil and spread on the metal shaft. Get it nice and greasy. Move the hatch up and down to get it
spread out. See if there is an improvement. May have to reapply oil/silicon once a year.

Been doing this for 21 years, on my old 2001 Honda Odyssey van hatch.
Got this tip, many, many, many, years ago from a Poster, on the Odyssey forum site. :)

Give it a try, what do you have to lose. So simple...:)

#25 ·
The new ones have little retaining clips that can be easily be pressed on by hand onto the factory brackets, or popped off with a flat blade screwdriver. There should be a little ridge in the middle for you to slip the flatblade under which will lift the clip.

#27 ·
Thanks for the help. Any idea why 2010-13 year Highlander lift gate struts say they won‘t work with 2008-2009? I would think they should work unless Toyota decided to change the brackets mounting points for some odd reason. Also, I’m still having difficulty trying to verify that the OEM version struts for my 08 Highlander actually are modified to have a pin for easy install.

#28 ·
I think they should fit fine. I have Nissan Pathfinder ones on my Highlander because I couldn’t find any good ones on Rockauto. As for the brackets, maybe with your VIN I can find the correct ones from Toyota. They’re only a few bucks a piece. The confusing part is that they also have the back door glass strut brackets listed there too which are obviously a different design.

#32 · (Edited)
Torque specs are based on the diameter and grade of the bolt, assuming they are threaded into something stronger than aluminum, which these are. Figure out the diameter (M4, M5, etc) and Google it, assuming the lowest grade shown. I personally would just snug them up, but that's based on experience. One person's snug is another's too loose or thread stripping for another.

#35 ·
Alright, just finished the job. Pretty simple. The replacement part that I bought has the mounts already on them. All I needed to do was unbolt the original strut brackets and install the new struts. The only catch was that the lift gate is actually surprisingly heavy so you’d need two people or rig up something to hold it up while your working on it.
Now I can enjoy an easy to open lift gate even with the cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.