Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Camry 4cyl.

I plan to get another 70-80k miles out of this car. What aftermarket brands would you trust for Control arm bushings and ball joints, or if OEM is the answer where do you recommend buying OEM parts?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,132 Posts
I'm going with Moog for whatever suspension component (other than the strut) that I replace. OEM, find the latest part number and compare prices. I usually go on eBay.

·
Registered
2003 Camry XLE 2.4L
81 Posts
I always go for 'Proforged' first, and if they don't have the part, then Moog or another brand. The different lines that Moog has is confusing. My '03 Camry has Proforged front sway links, and soon front control arms. But I've used Proforged on several Lexus and Infiniti, and have always held up well, better than OEM.

·
イリジウム
11,779 Posts
Control arms - Moog.

Ball joints I now look for non-greaseables. Still Moog primarily after trying out brands like MAS (bought up by Dorman), Delco etc trying to get away from greases. Quick Steer is Moog’s budget line that also looks decent.

Moogs are mostly greaseables, while very long lasting, greasing gets old fast these days.

I use Mevotech original grade otherwise as they just about are all non-greaseables I think. Only been using these for a couple of years so don’t know how they hold up long term. Have to say even Quick Steers look better built.

Some like Beck Arnley. Or you can always use Toyota. You can google up some recent threads with online Toyota vendors or look in the forums vendor list. I think there are Toyota dealers listed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always go for 'Proforged' first, and if they don't have the part, then Moog. My '03 Camry has Proforged front sway links, and soon front control arms.
I had my front control arms replaced last year with Moog and the bushings are already cracked open, never heard of proforged. I'm also debating just going all out with OEM bushings and ball joints. Paying for a repair twice is pretty obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had my front control arms replaced last year with Moog and the bushings are already cracked open, never heard of proforged. I'm also debating just going all out with OEM bushings and ball joints. Paying for a repair twice is pretty obnoxious.
i just replaced my lower control arm bushings using PSB 689 from armstrong distributors, $60 for a pair shipped from egay, using the cheap harbor freight 20 ton press and pushed out the old busing with sleeve and push in the new psb 689 in 5 minutes. i was unable to pull out my credit card to buy the a pair whole oem lower control arms for close to $400 at stealership.

i removed the side engine mount one at a time to remove and reinstall the lower control arm.

i also replaced both ball joints and end-link sway-bar, but those are oem and bought from stealership.
my balljoints can be remove without remove the cv axle from spindle knuckle, but just can't put a torque wrench there to re-tighten it, so i took a closed 19mm wrench 6 point wrench and chain it with a 7/8" wrench and tighten it as much as i can.

the driving experience has improved dramatically, and steering response has tighten up and more precise.
it has only been a few weeks, not sure how long the bushings can last.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I would use poly bushings... Siberian, Nolothane, Whiteline, EnergySuspension, SuperPro, Powerflex, PSBushings, Armstrong... etc depending on what was available.

Balljoints... OE, Moog, or Proforged

Most issues are caused by the installer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts