Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you special order a Tacoma with a package that is not normally built for your region. I am talking about major packages like SY - TRD Sport on a v6 4x2 pre-runner in the North East.

I just settled for a v6 4x2 pre-runner with SR5. SR5's are the only package they claim they can get on a pre-runner and they are making me wait 6 months to special order it with TO - Tow Prep & VD - Stability control/traction control. This one dealer was the only one out of 5 even willing to try to get me something that they did not have sitting on the lot.

I have bought new cars from Chevy, Pontiac, Ford and BMW and never went through anything quite as bad as dealing with a Toyota dealer.

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
That's like all the sell over here, Prerunners with Offroad TRD or Sport TRD with TO. I don't think Stability Control is available with TRD though.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
The northeast seems to have a very limited selection of allocated packages. I wanted a V6 4x4, it was either the base model or TRD. The dealer said they couldn't get just the convience package here at all and SR5 4x4 were hard to come by here (very popular, couldn't keep them on the lot). I didn't see any out of the 5 dealers I visited. I know I didn't see many Prerunners around here either, understandably less popular in snow country.

You can try and have them allocate what you want but unless they are a high volume dealer they may "low on the totum pole" as they say and these trucks are in such high demand it may take a few months. They obviously want to sell it to you now. Gotta get that commision check to pay the christmas bills.

·
Vendor
243 Posts
The short answer is yes you can. The problem will be to find a dealer that will want to go through that hassel since it is not normally done with Toyotas.

Not to long ago, NUKE from TTORA NE Chapter totalled his reg cab 4x4 2.7 and wanted a new one just like it with the electric locker in the rear. He was told that it was only available in a package on the access cab. He was presistant and contacted TMS directly and then taught the dealer how to special order the truck EXACTLY how he wanted it.

He got exactly what he wanted without the typical package crap.

Good luck!!

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
currentsupply said:
That's like all the sell over here, Prerunners with Offroad TRD or Sport TRD with TO. I don't think Stability Control is available with TRD though.
From what I have gathered the VF - VSC w/DACoption can be had with the TRD sport, but your right the VD option cannot. Then again who knows, not even the dealers seem to know (unless they just play dumb).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gadget2317 said:
The short answer is yes you can. The problem will be to find a dealer that will want to go through that hassel since it is not normally done with Toyotas.

Not to long ago, NUKE from TTORA NE Chapter totalled his reg cab 4x4 2.7 and wanted a new one just like it with the electric locker in the rear. He was told that it was only available in a package on the access cab. He was presistant and contacted TMS directly and then taught the dealer how to special order the truck EXACTLY how he wanted it.

Good luck!!

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
Thanks, but you need more then luck to get them to order what you want. I am sure I will be happy with the SR5 once I get it. It just makes me mad to see others on this forum with the truck I originally wanted.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
If you could find a good dealer, Id bet they could do a dealer trade to get a truck from a different region.
Good luck with that, Ive never delt with a Toyota dealer and felt like the viewed me as a valued customer. Most of the ones here in Wisconsin have an attitude that they are doing you a favor merely by letting you set foot on their lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gadget2317 said:

Good luck!!

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
Wish I would have known this was possible, I would have had them order me a v-6 in a regular cab 4x4 with the e-locker.
-Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, you can. In fact, it is much easier for a dealer to place a special order for a US built Toyota than one from Japan. Your sales rep should be able to log-in to whatever it is that the dealer uses to check their allocation and factory build schedules and make changes to a truck there. It's much faster to get a "preferenced" truck, because it's typically what your regional distributor orders and it just comes down to having that particular vehicle sent to your dealer. But you can have them configure one with options that are not typically found on vehicles sitting on the lot, it may take more than a month to get it though.

I agree with the comments that it's a matter of finding a sales rep and dealer who's willing to do it. My preferenced truck took about a month to arrive. (Talked to my rep on configuration 7/3, he got my preference in on 7/11's allocation and I took delivery 8/12.)

IMO, most dealers would rather have you take something off the lot, because if you're waiting for a specific truck or if they have to get a specific truck for you, it's now one extra truck that is sitting on their lot losing money. When I inquired about a special order Japan built Toyota, my rep's boss (dealership owner) asked him, why doesn't your customer want one from the lot? For a Japan made Toyota, the only thing the rep can do is put in a change request and hope that it'll get accepted, from there it's at least three months before the vehicle arrives.

·
Taco Chip
22 Posts
From what I have gathered the VF - VSC w/DACoption can be had with the TRD sport, but your right the VD option cannot. Then again who knows, not even the dealers seem to know (unless they just play dumb).
ScubaGuy,
If you've been given good info on the TRD Sport with Stability Control then I am forever grateful. I've been going through the dealer wringer since October looking for a TRD Sport for my wife with towing, curtain airbags and VSC. I am willing to place an order, but the dealers are reluctant to do so. I'm not taking no for an answer, but it surely is frustrating when your dealer admits he doesn't know how to get an important safety feature like VSC on the truck you want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went through the "preferencing" ordeal when I bought my 06. It took from Sept. 05 to Feb. 06 for my truck to arrive, but it came with the exact options I had ordered...I got the TRD Off Road, DC, with JBL, but I also wanted the TRD exhaust and extra skid plate....in Indigo. I didnt think it was a big deal, and I didn't understand at the time why it was taking so long to arrive. Originally, I had planned to buy an 05, but the dealer couldnt find one with the options and color I wanted, so an 06 was the only option. Apparantly, preferencing a vehicle is something dealers don't want to do. My salesman said he could only request a "preferenced" vehicle maybe once per month. Sounded like a load of B.S. to me at the time.....I had the $$$$$ and I wanted my truck. Anyway, alls well that ends well. I got exactly what I wanted, even if I had to wait. Having to wait makes it better once you get it. At least, that's what my wife tells me. ;)

·
Love the Tick
2001 Ford Ranger
286 Posts
I was able to find a dealer that was willing to help me find the truck that I was looking for. I had to drive 3 hours to find a dealer who was willing to do a dealer trade because the truck I was looking for wasnt made for the Chicago region. My dealer trader with a dealer who was in Texas and just had the paperwor changed so the truck that was due to ship to Texas was shipped to Illinois. It took me about a month to find a dealer who was willing to help me and another 3 months to wait for the truck but if you are persistent and patient you can get what you want. Surely not as easy as the domestic guys.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Good luck!!
Gadget
www.URDUSA.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will NEVER believe that, unless I see a build sheet, as that is not an out of regional zone build, that is a combination that Toyota does not build in the North American Market. Would require special wiring that is not present in the reg cab, it would require an axle assembly be built up so the 2.7L could have it's 4.10 ratio, or maybe the plants with the "just in time delivery" program, happen to have a few laying around collecting dust. And how did he "teach" the dealer how to order the truck, when such a truck is not cataloged in the order system?, perhaps he scribbled it down on some notebook paper, and faxed it to the plant. Usually when a manufacturer builds a show truck, they pull a fully built model off the line, and send it out, strip it and start over. So I call that you were BS'd.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went through the "preferencing" ordeal when I bought my 06. It took from Sept. 05 to Feb. 06 for my truck to arrive, but it came with the exact options I had ordered...I got the TRD Off Road, DC, with JBL, but I also wanted the TRD exhaust and extra skid plate....in Indigo. I didnt think it was a big deal, and I didn't understand at the time why it was taking so long to arrive. Originally, I had planned to buy an 05, but the dealer couldnt find one with the options and color I wanted, so an 06 was the only option. Apparantly, preferencing a vehicle is something dealers don't want to do. My salesman said he could only request a "preferenced" vehicle maybe once per month. Sounded like a load of B.S. to me at the time.....I had the $$$$$ and I wanted my truck. Anyway, alls well that ends well. I got exactly what I wanted, even if I had to wait. Having to wait makes it better once you get it. At least, that's what my wife tells me. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

That is not such an oddball combo as far as factory options go, quite a few in the SET area, but all zones of course are not alike. The preferenced truck has to pass through the port centers anyway, so they add the exaust there and the dealer orders a skid plate, paints it, and installs it during PDI. All that takes a long time is finding the truck in the customer prefered color, and with the correct factory options, the exhaust, might have added 1 additional day at port if they were backed up, and the skidplate might have added an additional day at the dealer before you picked it up. 5 months is a long time for a popular build combo, usually the ones who have to wait are the ones who spec out odd combos.

·
Registered
769 Posts
toyotas in america are sold by regions, seperate profit and loss entities, as different companys...
either way go to the toyotausa site and click on build your own and follow the trail. if it's available in your region with the extras you want it will show you how many are available in your region. and will only show options available in your region.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I went through a lot of trouble when I got my Tacoma 2 yr ago. It can be a complicated thing. Some options are absolutely NOT offered together in a particular region. It can be hard to find out if that is the case. Your dealer may well tell you its rare but they can probably get it. That may mean that they intend to trade for a truck from another dealership in a region where it is available. They CANNOT order it if it is not available in your region. You'd think they'd just get another dealer in a region where they can order it to order one and trade for it. Good luck finding a dealer that will go to that trouble. What they did to me was check a couple times a week to see if one was being built close to my specs. Each time it happened it was a special order and they couldn't trade for it - this went on for 3mo before they told me they were giving up.

I did a lot of homework and found out that the region I'm in (Gulf States) couldn't get what I wanted. Fortunately, one state North, Kansas, is a different region. A phone call to a dealer just across the border and the fleet sales guy told me he could order exactly what I wanted - no problem. 5wk later I had my truck and just had to pick it up in Wichita. (You can bet I paid more than if I were buying off the lot though!)

If there's something you really want and you can't build it where you are (checking the options on the build your own toyota site is a good clue) you can try what I did. Find out what region you're in. That info is here somewhere in the forum if it hasn't already been discussed in this thread. If you're lucky you won't be in the middle of your region, and a neighboring state will be in a different one. You can try the build your own toyota using a zip from the nearby state to see if what you want is available there. Find the closest dealer you can in that region and give them a call. I got lucky and overall I'm glad I went to the trouble.

TL

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I ordered my truck (in the Gulf States distribution area), I ordered directly through Gulf States (only because I worked for a Toyota forklift dealer). It had to come thru a local dealer, but I didn't deal with them until after it was done. The rep from Gulf States told me that the build I wanted was not one of the ones they get. However, if I was willing to wait, she could basically petition Toyota to either send one from another region if made at all, or build one like I wanted. There was no guarantee it would be built. Plus, this was in December and I had to make a decision stat because the deadline for such ordering was almost up, (read the eta was late July). I ended up taking the closest she had on the "dock". Everybody I dealt with was really nice, and in no way were they trying to force me to take stock on hand, but I didn't want to deal with it for 6 more months. Even then the whole process was a pain, partially since it was all thru email.
Now when talking to the dealer, they may mean "ordering" as in from the distributer, in which case you're stuck with regional differences. If that doesn't work, I strongly advise you to look around outside your region to see if anywhere else has what you want. Good Luck

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I hate long island sometimes. They dont call is the land of no for nothing. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts