Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
All of the LEDs we use at work come from China or Japan. I asked one our Electrical Engineers about these before I ordered them and he it was worth a try for the price. He basically said what you did; the more expensive ones are probably made in or with Chinese parts.
What site did you buy from?

If they would just list lumen output, it would be simple to compare. This is likely the exact reason they don't. But, you'd think if a cheap competitor had the best output (or close for the price), they'd make it known..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
What site did you buy from?
I got everything from dealinthebox on eBay and they do list lumen outputs, here are some comparisons:

Bulb El Cheapo / V-Led
H11
lm 450 / 400
Watt 5 / 13
#LED's 102 / 28
Cost (Pr) 8.02 /49.99

9005 HB3
lm 500 / 630
Watt 3 / 13
#LED's 120 / 28
Cost (Pr) 8.10 / 59.99

3157*
lm 150 / 120
Watt 1.5white,2amber / ?
#LED's 60 / 60
Cost (Pr) 8.38 / 49.99

Now, I don't know that we can believe everything we read on the internet, but if the numbers are true, they are OK. They seem to use more LED's, but less wattage, to achieve about the same values as the V-Led products and for much less money.

The true test will be the install and photos.

*- The cheapo was not a CK bulb and they do not seem to have one

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
I got everything from dealinthebox on eBay and they do list lumen outputs, here are some comparisons:

Bulb El Cheapo / V-Led
H11
lm 450 / 400
Watt 5 / 13
#LED's 102 / 28
Cost (Pr) 8.02 /49.99

9005 HB3
lm 500 / 630
Watt 3 / 13
#LED's 120 / 28
Cost (Pr) 8.10 / 59.99

3157*
lm 150 / 120
Watt 1.5white,2amber / ?
#LED's 60 / 60
Cost (Pr) 8.38 / 49.99

Now, I don't know that we can believe everything we read on the internet, but if the numbers are true, they are OK. They seem to use more LED's, but less wattage, to achieve about the same values as the V-Led products and for much less money.

The true test will be the install and photos.

*- The cheapo was not a CK bulb and they do not seem to have one
I looked them up, but couldn't find their bulbs on eBay. I'm interested to see how they compare with the 194/168 - flank or forward beam bulbs, some of the different festoon sizes, and their 921's.

The 2012 Camry guys are buying "AGT" LED bulbs. They've all kind of clique d together, and they love them. I know all the parts/manufacturing are coming from one place. I'm just hesitant to deviate from something that I know is quality and works. But my wallet will likely benefit if I experiment.

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
Although the images say dealinthebox, they are actually from different vendors. Here are the links to them.

H11
3157 Switchbacks
HB3 9005

I looked briefly and did find some festoons from the same place I got the switchbacks but all I found were 42mm and 31mm, no 29's. I also found some 194's but no 921's.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
Thanks. I added that seller to my favorites, and depending on your opinion, may check them out next time.

I am slowly becoming "the LED guy" amongst friends :)

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
I just checked the output of our 9005 halogen high beams - its 1700.

Most hid's are around 3200 for the low beams. Granted the high beams are designed to illuminate a higher field of sight (right?)

I may purchase a set of LEDs for looks for the drls, but this will effectively eliminate my high beams. Maybe I don't really need them? I haven't been in a situation where I've had to use them yet..

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
Modified 3157 to 3157CK

...I am going to take the bulb assemblies to work when I get them and see if it will be possible to rebuild them in the CK configuration...
So I got my switchbacks, brought them into work, modified them and I think they will work. We ended up cutting the extra ground and extending the turn signal wire to make it long enough to run along the tip of the connector base and then bent it down to the correct location. I also filed down the tip of the base so the extended wire did not stick past the existing end.

Here are some photos:

Close up:

Once I get all of the bulbs, I will post some half and half photos and some fully replaced photos as well. Hopefully my other bulbs get here soon!

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
So I got my LED Bulbs and they do not fit in the reflector assembly. The diameter of the LED assemblies are too big to fit thru the holes in the reflectors. They are 20mm in diameter and are very close to fitting,but not quite!

I looked at the H11's and HB3's on V-LEDs and they are 18.6 and 18.4mm's in diameter and I believe these would fit. When I get to work on Monday, I will measure the holes in the reflector to be sure.

I am going to look for some cheap Chinese ones again to see if I can find them in the correct size, if not, it looks like l'll be paying $180 to get them from V-LEDs.

Even though they didn't fit they looked well made and were quite bright. To be continued...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
V-LEDs will always fit, unless it's an odd application. You can also can ask them, or read reviews before your purchase.

I'm with you on the cheaper (cut out the middleman) bulbs. Vleds has claimed the flagship position, with flagship pricing. I recently asked them on their Facebook page why they don't list lumen output, they said they're working in it - ( yea right )

There are other reliable sellers out there, but they'll never be as cheap
as ordering from china.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
I recently ordered LED replacement bulbs for my DRL/Highbeam (HB3 9005), Low beam (H11)
If these bulbs end up not working, can I somehow coerce you into purchasing HID's? :)

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
If these bulbs end up not working, can I somehow coerce you into purchasing HID's? :)
I doubt it, to do my low beam, high beam and fogs would be really expensive.

I am trying the LED's one more time. I looked around and found some that are the correct size, but a little more expensive; and (2) of them are from Houston.

Here is what I ordered:
HB3 - $18.99 from Houston - 480lm for DRL/high beam
H11 - $19.99 from Houston - 480lm for fogs
H11 - 17.49 Cree from China - 400lm for low beams

I wanted to have matching H11's in the low beams and fogs, but there were only one set left from Houston and they are no longer carrying them. I decided to go with the Cree LED's for the low beam as they are front mounted projector style which should work well. The H11's from China have side mounted LED's which will work better with the reflector of the fog light housing.

I also downloaded a light meter app for my Nexus. With this I can get empirical data to compare the brightness of the LED's to the stock bulbs. Unfortunately, the light meter measures LUX instead of Lumens, so I can't use it to confirm the specs for the bulbs, but it will be useful regardless.

Once I get everything, I will post photos and LUX values for everything for comparison.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
I also downloaded a light meter app for my Nexus. With this I can get empirical data to compare the brightness of the LED's to the stock bulbs. Unfortunately, the light meter measures LUX instead of Lumens, so I can't use it to confirm the specs for the bulbs, but it will be useful regardless.
Nice! I'm sure they'll fit this time.

An app to measure lumens - amazing. If someone wanted a high traffic website idea, this would be a good one. Just test and post the outcome.

I'll see if they have one for the iPhone after I write this post. I'm interested to see how my 9w CREE LED's stack up to a friends 7w M-SMT bulbs. They are the same price, but his seem a lot brighter.

As far as the HID's go, most only put them in the low beams (in halogen equipped cars). Even considering this fact they are much more expensive then LEDs. I really like them though..

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
An app to measure lumens - amazing...
The app does not measure lumens, it actually measures lux; lux is illumination, lumens is quantity of light.

The difference between the lux and the lumen is that the lux takes into account the area over which the luminous flux is spread. 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square meter, lights up that square meter with an illuminance of 1000 lux. The same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square meters, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.

There is a way to covert them, but it depends on the area, so it gets tricky. I probably will not convert them, because, as I said before, I just want to have some way to compare the LED's to the stock bulbs. If I find a good way to convert the lux values, I will post the info for all of the lights I test.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
The app does not measure lumens, it actually measures lux; lux is illumination, lumens is quantity of light.

The difference between the lux and the lumen is that the lux takes into account the area over which the luminous flux is spread. 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square meter, lights up that square meter with an illuminance of 1000 lux. The same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square meters, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.

There is a way to covert them, but it depends on the area, so it gets tricky. I probably will not convert them, because, as I said before, I just want to have some way to compare the LED's to the stock bulbs. If I find a good way to convert the lux values, I will post the info for all of the lights I test.
Thanks for this very informative post.

I know I could google this, but is there something I could (somewhat cheaply) buy to measure lumen output? Or is the only option measuring the lux and computing from there?

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
...is there something I could (somewhat cheaply) buy to measure lumen output? Or is the only option measuring the lux and computing from there?
I do not know of any meter that will do this. I googled it and found a forum where they were talking about using an integrating sphere to measure lumens, but it cost $9000 dollars! I looked for these and found some as low as $495, but that is still pretty pricey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
Can't win don't try

...Once I get everything, I will post photos and LUX values for everything for comparison.
Well...I got all of my bulbs and :headbang:.

First off, the switchbacks must have been wired incorrectly to begin with because when I plug them in, they come up amber and when you turn on the turn signal, they flash white. I checked, double checked and had one of our Electrical Engineers at work triple check it and the mod I made should have worked.

As for the rest of them, they fit; that was the only good thing. Although these bulbs are rated at 1/3rd the lumens of the halogen bulbs, they are at about 1/10th the lux. Here are the values:

Daylight
1350 lm Halogen - 33000lux
480lm LED - 3300lux

Dark
1350 lm Halogen - 55000lux
480lm LED - 5500lux

I am not sure why the values are different at night then during the day, I will ask our lighting guys at work, but regardless, these bulbs just do not have enough light to even pass as drl's. I expected them to be dimmer than halogens, but not this much dimmer.

So after 4-5 weeks of messing around and about $100 in cost, I am back to wear I started. I have yellowish halogen bulbs and don't like them.

I see that Sylvania has the SilverStar Ultra which they say are 4000K for $50 a pair or the SilverStar zXe which they say are 4200K and claim are as white as HID's, but they are $60 a pair.

I have also read good things about the Solux ClearVision bulbs. They claim they are 4600K, last longer than the SilverStar bulbs and cost $45 a pair.

Has anyone tried using any of these?

Other than HID's (bigcsorren, don't even go there) anyone know of any other options?

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
Well...I got all of my bulbs and :headbang:.

First off, the switchbacks must have been wired incorrectly to begin with because when I plug them in, they come up amber and when you turn on the turn signal, they flash white. I checked, double checked and had one of our Electrical Engineers at work triple check it and the mod I made should have worked.

As for the rest of them, they fit; that was the only good thing. Although these bulbs are rated at 1/3rd the lumens of the halogen bulbs, they are at about 1/10th the lux. Here are the values:

Daylight
1350 lm Halogen - 33000lux
480lm LED - 3300lux

Dark
1350 lm Halogen - 55000lux
480lm LED - 5500lux

I am not sure why the values are different at night then during the day, I will ask our lighting guys at work, but regardless, these bulbs just do not have enough light to even pass as drl's. I expected them to be dimmer than halogens, but not this much dimmer.

So after 4-5 weeks of messing around and about $100 in cost, I am back to wear I started. I have yellowish halogen bulbs and don't like them.

I see that Sylvania has the SilverStar Ultra which they say are 4000K for $50 a pair or the SilverStar zXe which they say are 4200K and claim are as white as HID's, but they are $60 a pair.

I have also read good things about the Solux ClearVision bulbs. They claim they are 4600K, last longer than the SilverStar bulbs and cost $45 a pair.

Has anyone tried using any of these?

Other than HID's (bigcsorren, don't even go there) anyone know of any other options?
Check out these Osram Nightbreaker Plus Bulbs, and this thread I started in the Camry forum regarding this issue.

The main problem is halogen bulbs put out a certain color temperature light (usually around 3200K). Bulb manufacturers have found a way to get around this, by color coating the bulbs. The downside to this is longevity. From what I have read, coated halogen bulbs, that are used an average amount of time, usually fail around 1 year. With this being said the zXe have the closest to HID light output available, but not the best output. I have decided to stick with my stock DRL/High bulbs for now.

One question: I have never actually heard you say that you were opposed to HID's, and after knowing this, I won't ask again. But, why are you? They have excellent output (around 3200 lumens depending on what you buy), and look great. Again once i know why, I wont mention them to you again.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Best Regards,
Chris

·
2011 Venza
3,116 Posts
...One question: I have never actually heard you say that you were opposed to HID's, and after knowing this, I won't ask again. But, why are you? ...
Chris,
I am not opposed to HID's, I was just busting your balls a little, but I have a few reasons why I personally don't want them:

1. I want all of the bulbs in the front to match, so if I go HID, they all have to be HID. This leads to a few other issues:
    a)The cost of swapping them all out
    b) I have stock Halogen projectors which may or may not have to be replaced
    c) I would have to add (6) ballasts and I have seen comments before that this is not good for the electrical system, as it was not designed to handle it​
  2. I like the look with the fogs on all of the time; Adding all HID will be very bright and I don't want to blind anyone.
But thanks for the links to your other thread. I have been searching online a lot and see that this is a topic that has been discussed over and over. I am still investigating, but I think I am going to get the Solux ClearVision bulbs. I have seen good things about them and there is a very interesting thread on a Lexus forum about them.

Of course they aren't $4 a bulb, but that was a pipe dream. Now I will be shelling out $129, but I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
600 Posts
I am still investigating, but I think I am going to get the Solux ClearVision bulbs. I have seen good things about them and there is a very interesting thread on a Lexus forum about them.

Of course they aren't $4 a bulb, but that was a pipe dream. Now I will be shelling out $129, but I think it will be worth it.
I have never heard of the solux bulbs. I read through the post on the lexus forum, and they sound very promising. But, the post had a fishy air about it, almost like the original poster was paid.

If you get them, please let us know what you think. I have been on a continuous (on/off) seach to find a halogen bulb to replace my DRL/Hi bulbs. Maybe these are it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I finally got and installed the Morimoto 35w 5k bulbs. I like the color of them, but the glare from the spotters is horrible and the cutoff on the lights is misshaped, even though I align them. Any advice?

Morimoto doesn't sell kit that includes lenses, but the retrofit source sells everything you could want.

My advice? Just try your HID's (get 35w, you will have problems w/ 50) with the stock halogen lenses and leave the squirrel spotters in place. (yes I said it :) ) See how you like it. I bet you'll have excellent output and won't blind anyone.

For LED's I always recommend vleds. They are expensive, but have excellent quality and output.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts