1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Automotive tire Hardwood Flooring Auto part

Water Automotive tire Wheel Wood Body of water

Hi there,
I’ve embarked on the long journey to fix the wiring that a rat (or more than one) has chewed up on my car. I managed to get the pins out if this plug, but how do I replace them? I have no idea what size they are or who manufactures them. The are marked H1 on the metal and above the H1 there is a triangle symbol. The plug is 11156 and it’s one of the plugs that goes into the headlamp.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Gere are some options:
  • Replace the plug with the wires from a junkyard (eBay)
  • Remove that green rubber gasket and bend back the metal clamping onto the wires and try to reuse them
  • Buy a generic wire terminal kit from Amazon
When my car got hit, I bought some junkyard replacements for OEM connectors and for multi-vehicle applications like low beams I bought whatever was available from Rockem Auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gere are some options:
  • Replace the plug with the wires from a junkyard (eBay)
  • Remove that green rubber gasket and bend back the metal clamping onto the wires and try to reuse them
  • Buy a generic wire terminal kit from Amazon
When my car got hit, I bought some junkyard replacements for OEM connectors and for multi-vehicle applications like low beams I bought whatever was available from Rockem Auto.
If I try to reuse them, can I re-crimp them using a crimping tool?

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,169 Posts
View attachment 366700
View attachment 366701
Hi there,
I’ve embarked on the long journey to fix the wiring that a rat (or more than one) has chewed up on my car. I managed to get the pins out if this plug, but how do I replace them? I have no idea what size they are or who manufactures them. The are marked H1 on the metal and above the H1 there is a triangle symbol. The plug is 11156 and it’s one of the plugs that goes into the headlamp.
I think that's your side marker light connector.

Marker Light Connector

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
I believe it is too, but the replacement plug you linked is 18 gauge and the one on the car is 22 gauge wire. I don’t know much about wiring, but doesn’t the gauge thickness need to match?
If it is close enough it will be fine. Same sizes preferred.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,169 Posts
I believe it is too, but the replacement plug you linked is 18 gauge and the one on the car is 22 gauge wire. I don’t know much about wiring, but doesn’t the gauge thickness need to match?
That short of length won't matter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Recrimp is an option but I would probably get some length of wire and my soldering iron out. It will be a better connection than crimp. Good luck

im not the best at soldering and have been lucky to have had a few lessons froma couple friends over the years and now I can do pretty simple things like change capicitors and solder speaker cabling onto terminals and replace strands of wire.

urs is tricky cause they really bit it down to the nub. Least they could have done was left u an inch or two to work with! =(

·
Registered
55 Posts
U could try peeling back the insulation to expose some wire and prep ur new strand then prep the contact on ur terminal then join the two. You don’t need a lot of solder. Just enough to tin ur new wire and a touch to make a contact. Prep with Heat shrink before then heat it up after so everything is nice and tight.

heatshrink is important as the vibration can wear out any crimped or soldered connection with time. Heatshrink helps absorb and deflect that vibration to maintain good contact. Crimping will prob work but soldering is the best

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recrimp is an option but I would probably get some length of wire and my soldering iron out. It will be a better connection than crimp. Good luck

im not the best at soldering and have been lucky to have had a few lessons froma couple friends over the years and now I can do pretty simple things like change capicitors and solder speaker cabling onto terminals and replace strands of wire.

urs is tricky cause they really bit it down to the nub. Least they could have done was left u an inch or two to work with! =(
I know, they left me nothing to work with! 🤦‍♀️
I saw a guy in YouTube who filed down the crimp area and soldered new wiring in place. Do you think this will be a solid enough connection? I have no soldering experience either, but I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah I bet it’d work. Soldering is like tig welding

You can get some extra garbage wire and practice soldering on that so you get some practice before going to ur precious remaining parts u need for ur car

the trick Is that with one hand you hold the iron still, very close / on the contact point you want to join then with the other hand you feed in the solder wire onto the tip, it will then liquify from heat and bead up like water.

you will see it pool into wire and saturate on the wire side. On the connector side it will flatten out when connected.

sometimes the solder will pool like a bead on top of your contactpoint and it will not make agood connection and will pop off as soon as you let go, withpractice you’ll be able to see when this happens and you’ll know you need to get the wire/solder/pin to all come together in contact.

use rosin core solder and this will help the flow of the solder between all points.

Lots of heat can transfer from the iron to your working bits so be careful they’ll get hot. Nice thing about your parts is they won’t break or damage with heat, some chips and parts you don’t want a lot of heat going into but this should be not too bad. Good luck keep us posted!

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
I also like the idea of going to a junkyard. Might be easy to get a replacement with a little more pigtail length rather than mess around with the nub
Junkyard or new, whichever is easiest and how vehicle specific it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the same problem with a squirrel. I cant tell if this is the same connector you need or not. this replacement from amazon is the easiest route to go.
headlight plug.

Also this might be the pin. outrageous price but if you need it.....
pin
So, this has been quite the adventure. I went to my local Toyota dealership to get some answers. They said for the plugs, they do sell a replacement pigtail. Each wire is around $16 and I need three of them. 🙄 I got the part number and said thanks, but no thanks. They said the part number for all three wires that I need are 82998-12550. The problem is that the terminal on two of the wires are different from the terminal of the third wire (that comes from a different plug). I might go back and get the right part number for the third wire because clearly they got that wrong. I can buy 12550 on eBay for about $10. Still expensive, but better than the dealership. I just would need to verify the correct part numbers because clearly I didn’t get them the first time.
Then I started studying the pins. I looked at them with a jewelers loop. After doing A LOT of googling, I know that one terminal is manufactured by sumitomo and the other is by Yazaki. Their logo is stamped in the metal of the terminal. It’s very tiny, hence the jewelers loop.

Now the problem I’m having is trying to figure out the part number of the terminal. I know the company, which is good, but I’m paging through pages and pages of pictures trying to find a match, but I can’t find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts