Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a griffin Itrip gadget, it connects to my ipod so I can play music on my 2005 corolla that has only a radio and cd player. You have to pick a radio channel that has no sound and then connect the Itrip to that channel. The radio tuner dosen't let me pick a no sound channel it either goes to a radio station or I get a channel with crackling. The itrip works with the channel that crackles, but of course I don't want that. Has anyone found a way? I don't want to buy another radio the car is old.... Thank you

·
2013 Corolla S
2,739 Posts
The old Monster brand ones from 2004-5 (and only those years) didn't suck. They were powerful enough to share music between cars on a roadtrip... I think some bureaucrat got is talk show interrupted by IEAIAIO and the next thing you know the FCC cracked down on the manufacturers.

This one is great...

OP, aftermarket radios are cheap and easy to install. You can install one yourself with Bluetooth streaming and calling for under $100 all in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies ...no there is no aux. 75aces which head unit are you talking about, the head rest?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,403 Posts
Thanks for all the replies ...no there is no aux. 75aces which head unit are you talking about, the head rest?
My assumption is that you remove your stereo/radio/headunit/single dinn/double dinn/etc. and there might be a AUX port on the back of it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,862 Posts
The port is on the back of the head unit. Might be on the passenger side of the deck.

It will mate with the connector and will have a 3.5mm headphone jack dongle. Then you will need to use a extension cable to reach the passenger cabin. Mine has a switch for power and then has a 3.5mm input. It's driven off the FM bandwith.

The switch is soldered in-line.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I recall from back in that era, a lot of OEM car radios had an input for a factory CD changer on the back. You could buy a gadget that would hook into that and give you an input for an iPod.

The other option would be an FM modulator that wires directly into the antenna port on the back of the radio. Those actually work pretty well, way way way better than the little things you plug into the cigarette lighter.

But on either one of these options, it will cost you upwards of $100 and unless you know a fair amount about electronics and wiring, you'd have to pay somebody to install it too. If you're spending that kind of money you might as well skip those things and just get yourself a new Android head unit. They're pretty cheap nowadays and they have bluetooth integration, GPS maps and other cool features.

You could also look around for a used radio on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, flea market, etc. I see car radios, even pretty nice ones, being sold all the time for like $35-50.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,862 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts