Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad wheel bearing so I ordered a new one. I'm trying to swap them, but how do separate the wheel bearing from the hub? GEEEZ do I need to bring it in somewhere? Should I just get a new hub? Damn I wanna get this done tomorrow bc I was planning on going to Pismo on Saturday.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Usually there's a small indent in a couple of places where you can see some of the back side of the bearing race. Knock it out alternating from one indent to the other using a punch and hammer. (ball-peen preferred) eye protection too.:cool:

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually there's a small indent in a couple of places where you can see some of the back side of the bearing race. Knock it out alternating from one indent to the other using a punch and hammer. (ball-peen preferred) eye protection too.:cool:
yeah i'll have to work on it again tomorrow. worst case scenario i'll have to buy a new hub. TN member tgr8st said that ill probably have to end up buying a new hub anyway bc the hub will crack when you try to take out the bearing. im gonna try to bring in the hub and bearing to different auto shops tomorrow during my lunch to see if they can separate them.

Sorry for hijacking...

BUT...Who made your sub box!!??
me! LOL. and you can do it too... i have the dimensions in this thread:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269481

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nevermind guys. i found my repair manual and saw that there's a special tool. i took a snap shot if it

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Sorry, I should have known better. I sometimes run on way too little sleep. I've only changed bearings/races from the front of RWD vehicles. (Actually I did once pull an axle to change that bearing too.)

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just to update you guys....

i took the the hub and bearing to a shop, and they were able to press out the old bearing and replace it with the new one. didn't have to buy a new hub :clap:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a shop replace my bearing. they had a tough time getting it out. The dealership helped them and also told them they usually reaplce the whole thing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is this the only bearing that needs replaced in there? I need to pull mine apart to replace it and didnt know if I should just buy a new hub. How much is a new bearing vs replacing the whole hub?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts