Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone here has one of these turbo kits on their car, or have even heard of TSI?

By the way,
Me: Acura Technician
Mines: 95 Geo Prizm, 185k mi
Mods: 15" steel '02 Civic wheels w/O'Reilly covers, cheap Autozone turbo muffler and tip, Mobil 1 since purchase at 70k mi.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Never heard of them... for a second I thought you were talking about fitting an Eagle Talon TSI turbo to a Corolla. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently heard about them myself. Turbo Specialties Inc.--they have the usual Civic, Integra, and other common turbo kits, but also have kits for the performance-challenged, economy cars. There are several websites-too many to mention, who now carry TSI products. Just put in "turbo specialties" in any popular search engine and browse. As an owner of a 4afe powered Prizm, I understand how it feels to drive an underpowered daily driver. I've owned my car for 7 years now, and I still check to see if I've left the handbrake on when I accelerate onto the freeway. I just thought that the 93-02 Corolla and Prizm owners on this board would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
REN69 said:
Never heard of them... for a second I thought you were talking about fitting an Eagle Talon TSI turbo to a Corolla. :lol:
actually using a US 14b, 16g, or japanese 13g would be a good idea..... just the right amount of boost.... if i go twincharge on the mr2 i'm going to use a 13g

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
would that work on a 4af?

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
toyotaspeed90 said:
just the right amount of boost.... if i go twincharge on the mr2 i'm going to use a 13g [/B]
this might seem a bit newbish :rolleyes: but when u say twin charge are u talkin super/turbo charged ??? ive read about this on sum mr2 page that HKS did make a turbo/super charger kit but it is very rare (like 5 ever made) ??? not sure (just curious) :p:

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
yeah.. but some people have made their own custom versions.. its like you accelerate and you get a kick in the chest from the SC's torque at low rpm.. then you hit higher rpm's and you get another kick in the chest from the turbo boosting up. :D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
with a smaller turbo, the s/c's excess air down low would spool the turbo quickly and it just wouldn't stop accelerating..... we'll see how i like it when it's just s/c though

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
sounds like a RUSH !!!! lol hope everything goes well with that project

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
is there a website for TSI?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
88CorollaSR5 said:
is there a website for TSI?
www.turborepair.com

I get the impression that they just recently started selling actual kits. The best way to find their products is to just use "turbo specialties" in your favorite search engine and you should find several results.

·
TRD Corolla
02 Toyota Corolla
72 Posts
the TSI kit for the 1ZZ corolla isn't good. I know of one person that bought it, the pipes didn't even fit together correctly. Ended up having to replace or modify almost everything in the kit to the point of custom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CorollasBest said:
the TSI kit for the 1ZZ corolla isn't good. I know of one person that bought it, the pipes didn't even fit together correctly. Ended up having to replace or modify almost everything in the kit to the point of custom.
Is this person a member of this board? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I'd like to hear first hand experience before I condemn a company. I've done a few turbo kits on the side, and I've always had to modify/engineer something to get it to fit. There's usually a toll-free phone number for customer assistance, and it's not unusual to have missing or extra parts in the kit.

·
TRD Corolla
02 Toyota Corolla
72 Posts
^ Sorry about that, my sources weren't exactly right. :rolleyes: I haven't seen the guy online for 6 months, but he had to have a custom downpipe and up-pipe to make it work. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts