Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps! So today we were driving out of texas and we hit a tumbleweed and looks like it poke thru the radiator. No leaks (for now) just want to hear your recomendations. Dont know how deep it went thru and im afraid to pull it out coz might start leaking.
Wood Twig Font Pattern Artifact

·
Registered
226 Posts
Once you pull that stuff out, you might want to try to straighten some of those fins. If the radiator is well-made (and we all hope it is!), it should be OK. It looks like most of the damage is just bent cooling fins, and those can be straightened if you do it carefully.

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
Those wavy fins that the weed poked through are just for cooling - the actual coolant is in those horizontal lines which the wavy fins run between - as long as those aren't damaged you are good to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi peeps! So today we were driving out of texas and we hit a tumbleweed and looks like it poke thru the radiator. No leaks (for now) just want to hear your recomendations. Dont know how deep it went thru and im afraid to pull it out coz might start leaking. View attachment 365850
This is a 2019 Camry XLE by the way
Isnt that the condenser?
I actually dont know newbie here lol

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
AFAIK..if that were a condenser and it was punctured... all the freon would have escaped and there would have been a big white smelly cloud ... kind of hard to miss. If there wasn't a loud hissing noise and smelly white smoke then your a/c is fine as well.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry SE 4 banger
101 Posts
Hi peeps! So today we were driving out of texas and we hit a tumbleweed and looks like it poke thru the radiator. No leaks (for now) just want to hear your recomendations. Dont know how deep it went thru and im afraid to pull it out coz might start leaking. View attachment 365850
Looks like the fins to me, Not the tubes!

·
Registered
2021 Corolla SE CVT
202 Posts
Awesome thanks everyone for the help. Ill take it out when there us a shop nearby.
IMO dont bother. just pull them carefully. If your AC works, then the condensor is intact. Condensors are pretty tough given they catch small rocks all the time without failing. I doubt pulling these out will cause damage. If they take a lot of force maybe be hesitant. once they are out, i wouldn't bother with straightening the fins. The lost performance in AC would be a fraction of a percent. Not even measurable.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
836 Posts
Where I live is too cold to think about A/C at the moment, but that would be the condenser.

Regardless, you don't want either to leak!
Doesn’t the car use the A/C when defrosting to pull condensation out of the air? I seem to remember hearing that the A/C may come on during heating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quite true.
I think it only does that above 40-something degrees. One of the dumber "modern conveniences" if you ask me since you can't turn it off to keep your toes from freezing while trying to get warm air on the windshield.

Our MPV did this, too, but you could turn the A/C off by pushing the button. In cooler weather, you don't need the A/C as much once the car is warm, so this arrangement wasn't quite so annoying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts