Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from toyo dealer and one of the managers was saying that tundra at the end of '08 will have diesel in it. They will come as 3/4 ton pickups with 8' beds to compete with ford and others in comercial fleet. They had 4 new tundras on the lot and they looked preatty nice, extended cabs have 4 regular doors, two bigger and two smaller for the acces cab. Sticker was at $34000 for 5.7L, access (double) cab and 4x4. Mpg ratings 14 city, 18 hwy.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
01rk said:
Just got back from toyo dealer and one of the managers was saying that tundra at the end of '08 will have diesel in it. They will come as 3/4 ton pickups with 8' beds to compete with ford and others in comercial fleet. They had 4 new tundras on the lot and they looked preatty nice, extended cabs have 4 regular doors, two bigger and two smaller for the acces cab. Sticker was at $34000 for 5.7L, access (double) cab and 4x4. Mpg ratings 14 city, 18 hwy.
I think you posted in the wrong section?? This is the Tacoma forum.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My dealer (and an insider at a Toyota subcontractor) told me that there are no current plans for a diesel, nor a HD emissions (8501+ GVWR) model at this time. A Hybrid is in the works.

"1/2, 3/4, etc. ton" are such obsolete and inaccurate terms is why I used GVWR instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think they might be misinformed. 2009 is when the diesel will be released no two ways about it. If you don't believe me just check out Toyotas new nascar at Daytona and see who is pasted all over it.

·
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD
406 Posts
I heard the diesel is about 18 months out. A Catapiller plant in Ind or Ill is going to crank em out. At least that's the word on the street.

·
2,668 Posts
Just because Cat is on one of the Toyota Nascars doesn't mean that Cat is producing an engine for Toyota. Red bull isn't supplying the Toyota plant workers energy drinks to keep them from getting tired. Napa isn't Toyota's main supplier for parts. Just because a name is on a toyota race car as a sponser doesn't mean they're in bed with Toyota.

Toyota still hasn't officially release ANY information about a diesel engine so everything your hearing rumored info.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,677 Posts
radicalwillie said:
4.5 liter V8 turbo diesel. I wonder if this might be the engine we'll see in the Tundra???
I hope not that engine is WEAK....317ft lbs of torque, expect something close (if not better) than the Duramax....360hp/650ft lbs torque, hopefully.

·
Registered
Lumina SS (GTO)
3 Posts
The consensus on the Dodge diesel forums is that a Cummins I-6 diesel is better than a V8, 35% less parts, and it has more hp and torque than the Ford powerstroke V8 or the GM Duramax V8. All the big over the road trucks apparently use straight 6's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts